Common English mistakes
(02 Oct 12, 05:49AM)Frogulis Wrote: As I see it, it tends to be associated with a lower level of education and bogans.
Where I live in 'Straya, it's one of those first examples that come up if you ask someone to think of common English mistakes.
It's a pity really; it's a useful word.
Fair enough, I only ask because where I am from (Philadelphia) it's frequently used, but I thought it was specific to my region and not widely interpreted. I figured if it were to spread or be taken out of Philadelphia it'd be taken in that connotation when classism arises (when I think of yous, I think of mafia/hitmen/crazy sports fans). It's definitely not proper, but i've been desensitized since birth to it. Thanks.

I've never been taught the difference between "y'all", "all y'all", or "ya'll", but y'all definitely looks more natural on paper than ya'll does.

Remember: "I" before "E", except after "C".
Thanks given by:
"Jamp" instead of jumped is a common error around here, gets on my tits. I also can't stand text talk, I get how it might save time but I'd rather learn to type faster than use it.
Thanks given by:
youse/yous is a lot better because it clearly distinguishes a 2nd person plural from a 2nd person singular
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 12, 04:34PM)Doogum7X Wrote: Remember: "I" before "E", except after "C".

That's weird. I'm pretty sure that ancient rule is being broken right about now. 3 times in fact. :) Yay for the English Language.
Thanks given by:
Well, while they've been used in english for a long time, neither "weird" nor "ancient" are actually english, they are borrowed.

"Being" follows a different rule; it is literally "be" + "ing" as you would use for "falling" or any other nounification of a verb.

The words that follow the "I" before "E" rule are native english root words. The "except for words like neighbor and weigh" part of the rule is there to recognize the existence of loan words and that they don't necessarily follow the rules of spelling native english words.

Not modifying loan words to fit the rules of english is a quirk. I rather like the hodge-podge that is english and dislike the non-standard-ness of it at the same time. English is kind of like the opposite of "NewSpeak;" instead of destroying words and limiting thought, it welcomes the creation of new words and the usage of foreign words as equals to native words with a potential to expand the possibilities of thought.

I'll stop, getting off topic; and I don't think I should go off into a rant about prescriptivism and non-prescriptivism.
Thanks given by:
(03 Oct 12, 05:54AM)failure Wrote: I'll stop
No, please don't.
I'm listening.
This is the basis of what I'm doing in English this year (and next, I think, I haven't looked much at the study design) and I think it's rather interesting.
And not particularly offtopic.
Thanks given by:
(03 Oct 12, 03:01PM)Frogulis Wrote:
(03 Oct 12, 05:54AM)failure Wrote: I'll stop
No, please don't.
I'm listening.
This is the basis of what I'm doing in English this year (and next, I think, I haven't looked much at the study design) and I think it's rather interesting.
And not particularly offtopic.
Thanks given by:
just spelling mistakes (and I say mistake and not error since I assume they were only TYPO mistakes).
Thanks given by: