Common English mistakes
This morning I was just wondering, how is it possible that many mistakes, such as desperete (desperate), definately (definitely), creater (creator) are so common? I mean, even if I'm not a native English speaker, these ones sound so ugly to me..... Can anyone explain?
Thanks given by:
my english not :-)
Thanks given by:
In Australia, the education department base our studies on more literature based structure and things like spelling stop before highschool. Well that's how it's been for me, I've been through both the public system and private system for my education and from personal opinion both are shit.
Thanks given by:
Lets face it. Some people can't spell for shit. It will always occur and make you cringe - just tell them to fix their shitty spelling and move on. Me? I contract english as I go along, example:

I'd = I would
We'd = We had
Thanks given by:
Takk is right, we in melbourne don't studie spelling alot.
Thanks given by:
Many people, especially the younger generations, don't even read.
Thanks given by:
i tend to make mistakes like this because quite often they are pronounced in certain (and similar) ways.
Same as Thier, There and They're being pronounced in the same way..
"Not there! THERE!" -1:14 of that video.
Thanks given by:
One reason this happens is because the latest generation's focus is on computers, not beer and pUsSy like it should be, and they tend to abbreviate even where abbreviations aren't required i.e. all y'all newbs fucking LAZY!

EDIT by RK: It's "Y'all", not "Ya'll".
Thanks given by:
ERMAHGERD, ASSELLRRT CUBUHRRR!

Some people knows just communicative english, because it isn't their native. At least you understand them.
Thanks given by:
*insert comment about "their =/ they're" and "than /= then" with a slight reference to Xenon*
Thanks given by:
Also remember that there is a lot of younger users.
Thanks given by:
One of my managers at work said "for incidence" :P
Thanks given by:
(01 Oct 12, 01:56PM)MorganKell Wrote: ...is because the latest generation's focus is on computers

Actually, if it weren't for computers, I wouldn't have met Drakas... and if it weren't for Drakas' whinging... and IRC's built-in spell checker, I wouldn't have spelt better than I currently do.
Thanks given by:
@ RK, it's ya'll. I understand y'all is the proper conjunction, but the colloquial spelling is ya'll.
Thanks given by:
Isn't "ya'll" "you will"?

Also, my personal favorite is "alot". Grrr.
Thanks given by:
(01 Oct 12, 08:46PM)tempest Wrote: Isn't "ya'll" "you will"?

Also, my personal favorite is "alot". Grrr.

Ya'll = you all. At least that is the phonetic translation of the southern (but now throughout) united states colloquialism.

You'll == you will.

I hate alot. Except for the webcomic about it. Thats pretty good.
Thanks given by:
i must learn 3 fucking languages - czech, deutsch and english, the world is unfair, is it normal the bigger part of every day i must use foreign languages. I hate it. Spelling, pfff ...
Thanks given by:
Waiting for Halo to chime in on this one.
Thanks given by:
One word: Ghoti.
Thanks given by:
(01 Oct 12, 07:26PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: One of my managers at work said "for incidence" :P

(01 Oct 12, 08:46PM)tempest Wrote: Also, my personal favorite is "alot". Grrr.

* Bukz cringes

Facebook is a wasteland for poor spelling and discovering new words you didn't know existed, like "boughted"; which a friend of mine used. Theres a certain age where its no longer cute for people to be so clueless about their main language, and it starts to get a bit sad.

Its the 'redneck' way of saying "you all", like directing it at anyone that is present. :p
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 12, 12:20AM)Bukz Wrote:
(01 Oct 12, 07:26PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: One of my managers at work said "for incidence" :P

(01 Oct 12, 08:46PM)tempest Wrote: Also, my personal favorite is "alot". Grrr.

* Bukz cringes

Facebook is a wasteland for poor spelling and discovering new words you didn't know existed, like "boughted"; which a friend of mine used. Theres a certain age where its no longer cute for people to be so clueless about their main language, and it starts to get a bit sad.

Its the 'redneck' way of saying "you all", like directing it at anyone that is present. :p

That was actually brought over by the British. With the cavaliers, they brought over word 'ya'll' and 'aint.' Along with also the emphasis on the first syllable like 'GUI-tar' 'JU-ly' and the famous 'PO-lice'
Thanks given by:
Since we're in a thread about common English mistakes, I won't feel the least bit pedantic for reminding y'all that the apostrophe in a contraction goes where you've left something out.
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 12, 03:08AM)Jack Wrote: y'all

Technically correct, but have never seen it that way. Sorry.
Thanks given by:
Youse are all bad at English.
Thanks given by:
Down with edumacation! A lot of it does have to do with the freedom that technology brings, in my humble opinion. Before AIM and texting, there was more oversight and adherence to proper English. But "sup" "nm" "ttyl" "ur" and incorrect spelling is acceptable now and the point still gets across, so there's no reason to learn and indoctrinate it anymore. I shouldn't have entered this thread. Now I'm pissed. Damnit, we're all doomed.

(02 Oct 12, 05:11AM)Frogulis Wrote: Youse are all bad at English.

What's the negative social connotation attached?
Thanks given by:
(02 Oct 12, 05:16AM)Doogum7X Wrote: What's the negative social connotation attached?
As I see it, it tends to be associated with a lower level of education and bogans.
Where I live in 'Straya, it's one of those first examples that come up if you ask someone to think of common English mistakes.
It's a pity really; it's a useful word.
Thanks given by:
A clarification for all y'all about the usage of "y'all."

It is properly spelled "y'all." People frequently misuse apostrophes, though, so "ya'll" is probably often used.

And a finer point on its usage; "y'all" is the singular form. The collective form is properly "all y'all."
Thanks given by:
i see jiggy also looked y'all up on the ole google.
Thanks given by:
No, that's just they way it was taught to me. I haven't googled "y'all" before.
Thanks given by:
Alot of beer cans.
Thanks given by: