Censorship
Where the fuck is it good for? In my idea its some American/Islamic/Chinese thingy to make freedom of speech silent. Its really a bad thing. Also in AC. Let people say what they want, they are free to do so and you are free to leave if you dont like it. But these forbidden words lists and all, they are just bullshit. And dont come up with arguments like: my lil brother of 6 plays it and its bad for him if he sees the word fuck or tits because fucking and tits dont exist. Or whatever. If its to protect your kids then its protection against the real world. Though i understand and agree with the censorship of racism since such thoughts have made many sacrifices. Thus i also find that we should censor communism and christian and islamic views since they also made a lot of people die. Im not saying that demeaning terms are helping us forward, but why not let people say what they want?
Thanks given by:
To address the relation to AC:

If I have house guests over, I don't really appreciate conversations about politics so I try to prevent the conversation from going there. (not a true example)

My house, my rules.
Thanks given by:
Thats not an answer to the question why you have the rules you have. ;)
Thanks given by:
You're being far too objective.
Thanks given by:
In AssaultCube, people are free to call them Hitler but not to say fuck.
In AssaultCube, the nicknameblacklist is empty but not the forbidden.

Seems that mods are cool with it. It is maybe "your house", but take care because more and more people are leaving "your house". Maybe we should choose others "house keeper"

(wont bring rule 19 in this discussion).
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 01:09PM)Edward Wrote: (wont bring rule 19 in this discussion).
You just did :>
Thanks given by:
Daily update to forbidden.cfg, CHECK
Daily update to nicknameblacklist, CHECK
20 minute update to serverblacklist.cfg, CHECK
Seems that some server admins/owners are just too lazy..........

My "house" is in the good section of town and that kind of talk is not welcome. The use of profanity is inversely proportional to intelligence. You may not understand that now but as you get older I hope you will. It is true that less people visit my "house" but I prefer quality over quantity. With the 150+ servers out there I am sure there is one just right for each player.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, censorship fully sucks. Let's take a simple example: Hitler.

Despite of being the worst asshole in the history, he could actually offend Jews for obvious reasons. I personally wouldn't call myself Hitler on AC, but I'm not also so offended by anyone called like that, I just don't care. Let's also consider that Hitler might still be a surname in Germany, so being banned just because I'm using my surname, that sucks.

But this can work in many other point of views: if I was an Austrian I would hate to see someone called Gavrilo or Princip, if I was an American I would hate any Osama or Bin Laden, and so on. I'm an atheist, I would hate anyone called God or religion-related, but hey, I just don't care and we can't make everyone happy. This is AC related.

On a general note, censorship is still pointless. Seeing 'fuck', 'shit', 'bitch', 'whore', 'cunt', etc is not as bad as all the shit that there is around the world, so yeah, fuck you censorship.
Thanks given by:
i block bad nicks, but i have totaly removed forbidden.cfg on my servers
say you add word cunt: It blocks anything with count.

rape blocks grape, graphics, etc
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 08:00PM)Jg99 Wrote: say you add word cunt: It blocks anything with count.
(03 Sep 12, 08:00PM)Jg99 Wrote: rape blocks graphics
Lolwut.

Thank you, jg99, for another post about yourself. Soon X-Ray_Dog will have enough snippets to make a bio about you on the AC Wiki.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 08:00PM)Jg99 Wrote: say you add word cunt: It blocks anything with count.

YOU ARE ALL COUNTS FROM THE ROYAL KINGDOM
Thanks given by:
Relevant:

I'll go through some of the reasoning behind common nickname blacklistings and such, from my own perspective.

Cheater Names - I don't want those cheaters on my server, nor do I want people impersonating those cheaters and distracting others, getting other mad, and just making trouble.

Names of infamous people - People who use names like Hitler are most likely there to get a reaction and cause trouble. There is also a slight chance that it may be offensive to other people. How is this different from my own name? I like to think I don't roam around on servers trying to cause trouble.

So called "Bad Words" - Not sure if these are banned on the B} servers which I help run. Personally I don't care, but here are some legitimate reasonings behind them. For some people "Bad Words" carry some weight and it is awkward to see them being said all the time casually. For them "Bad Words" should remain bad and not be used everywhere. In order to make the server a place they want to be, they may put them in the forbidden words list. Another reason might be to try to cut down on somewhat immature chatter. Which this does a poor job of doing, see D!CK F*CK A$$ - those substitutes are worse than the actual words in my mind. The substitutes show that you do not care about what you are saying enough to risk whatever consequences using those words might have. And being ignorant because the substitutes wont prevent you from some sort of consequences.

Tell me if I missed some commonly banned types of words, or some words banned on B} servers that you don't understand. Afaik, we something like the default list or the kiwi lists.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 06:42PM)Andrez Wrote: Yeah, censorship fully sucks. Let's take a simple example: Hitler.

Despite of being the worst asshole in the history, he could actually offend Jews for obvious reasons. I personally wouldn't call myself Hitler on AC,

lets say i want to name myself as a clothing shop in India,

problem?

[Image: e6d1mo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Censorship?
lulz

all abord {TBR} servers!
customers = games = fun :D
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 08:00PM)Jg99 Wrote: i block bad nicks, but i have totaly removed forbidden.cfg on my servers
say you add word cunt: It blocks anything with count.

rape blocks grape, graphics, etc
Please please, you are so good, do something about sJ forbidden.cfg .
I pay in cash.
GOD I HATE THAT SHIT.
jg99 for dev
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 06:42PM)Andrez Wrote: Despite of being the worst asshole in the history, he could actually offend Jews for obvious reasons. I personally wouldn't call myself Hitler on AC, but I'm not also so offended by anyone called like that, I just don't care. Let's also consider that Hitler might still be a surname in Germany, so being banned just because I'm using my surname, that sucks.

Hitler is not a surname..... It was adolf and no, adolfe is not a common surname in germany for obvious reasons.
ftfy
Thanks given by:
You know surname is the last/family name, right?
Thanks given by:
I disagree with the idea that censorship in AC is bad. I do value freedom of speech but just like any other community there are rules that you agree to before participating. As it was pointed each server has the ability to edit their own forbidden.cfg at their discretion.

The most important thing is to understand that we are a diverse group of people and some have less tolerance to sensitive issues. Servers have to comply with AC terms and players have to abide by server rules. Some will have heavy censorship others will not. Is that so unfair?
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 01:25AM)Edward Wrote: Hitler is not a surname..... It was adolf and no, adolfe is not a common surname in germany for obvious reasons.
ftfy
[Image: tc77247_genius1.png]
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 12:39PM)Andrez Wrote:
(04 Sep 12, 01:25AM)Edward Wrote: Hitler is not a surname..... It was adolf and no, adolfe is not a common surname in germany for obvious reasons.
ftfy
[Image: tc77247_genius1.png]

i really hope he was joking
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 12:47PM)Marti Wrote: i really hope he was joking
I do hope he was trolling. Hence that 'FIXED THAT FOR YOU' in the end.
Thanks given by:
I apologize about that (adolf is the first name and Hitler the surname) so my explanation was bad. Let me explain you why you are wrong in a better way :

First, Hitler is not a common surname (yeah family name ok) : http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandquerie...64,00.html
Secondly, not many people call themselves by their surname on the internet.
Finally people are able to understand that even if it is their surname, some people may feel offended.

My English failed but you are the idiot... Fuck you
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 01:57PM)Edward Wrote: My English failed but you are the idiot... Fuck you
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png]
Thanks given by:
Zodiak had asked me to post this a while ago, but alas that thread had gotten closed before I could. So...
[Image: fqixa3Gq1kiTkMLmvNKIzg2.gif]
Thanks given by:
Best. Gif. Ever.
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 01:57PM)Edward Wrote: First, Hitler is not a common surname (yeah family name ok) : http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandquerie...64,00.html

I found this in that link:
"Hitler's real name was Jason. His last name was Thomas. He actually played basketball at UCLA throughout the 30's and didn't look at all like the photographs of the "Hitler" we know. The man with the moustache was a stunt double. Jason Thomas, on the other hand, looked a lot like the actor Tim Allen."
That's how credible that page is.

Honestly i don't think surnames should be blocked, even if it's of famous dictators such as hitler or mussolini. However, something like HITTLERJEWKILLER is ban worthy.
Thanks given by:
I knew someone would read it :p GG
Was expecting someone else but I would have been sad if nobody would have mention it. Ty I guess :p
Thanks given by:
(04 Sep 12, 08:01PM)Edward Wrote: I knew someone would read it :p GG
Was expecting someone else but I would have been sad if nobody would have mention it. Ty I guess :p
So you posted it waiting for somebody to prove you wrong? Lolwut.
Thanks given by:
probably the worst excuse i've ever seen. :)
Thanks given by:
Ok I received a warning for flamming........ I bet I have to stop here so.....

But I am not wrong. It was just the funny part. baa seems that you can not laugh with everything everywhere.

I am done with it. I just wanted to say two things :
- do not let people call themselves hitler
- it is not true that many German people have the surname (yeah family name) hitler.
Thanks given by: