How to fight properly?
(26 Jul 12, 02:59AM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Me no better, please help...
- Play more inters/clan matches than gemas. At least balance it.
- Try to not to play pubs so much (ladders are alright though you must not overplay), playing with players that have a skill level greatly lower than you can lower yours.
- Get a good mouse.
- Find a good fps that's a common multiple of 25.
- Play with players that are better than you.
- Get good headphones.
- Don't play too much in a day or you'll start playing shit later on.
- Some people play better with music in the background (preferably fast-paced), try it out.
- Practice.
- Practice.
- Practice some more.
- Play survivor to improve aim (esp. douze).
- Practice.
- Use radarheight and radarentsize to effectively use your radar.
- Try to play with hudgun off or nosway.
- Practice.
Thanks given by:
(26 Jul 12, 03:00AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(26 Jul 12, 02:59AM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Me no better, please help...
- Play more inters/clan matches than gemas. At least balance it.
- Try to not to play pubs so much (ladders are alright though you must not overplay), playing with players that have a skill level greatly lower than you can lower yours.
- Get a good mouse.
- Find a good fps that's a common multiple of 25.
- Play with players that are better than you.
- Get good headphones.
- Don't play too much in a day or you'll start playing shit later on.
- Some people play better with music in the background (preferably fast-paced), try it out.
- Practice.
- Practice.
- Practice some more.
- Play survivor to improve aim (esp. douze).
- Practice.
- Use radarheight and radarentsize to effectively use your radar.
- Try to play with hudgun off or nosway.
- Practice.
Wow effing sweet brah!
Too bad I already did/do all of those things (except the radar, inter/clan and practice thingies!)
Thanks a ton though, awesome answer!
[Image: 20444242.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I know exactly what you mean about shooting someone a dozen times before they dispatch you with a single 'pop'. So frustrating.

Some good tips here that I'll be trying myself.

I didn't see mouse sensitivity settings mentioned, maybe I missed it or maybe it's too obvious? But, experimenting with those brought the biggest improvement in my game so far.

PS I mean the 2 mouse settings in the game, speed and sensitivity IIRC?
Thanks given by:
acceleration and sensitivity. for many players, acceleration is not preferred. For me, it is hard to justify using it because 1) you don't know how it will react immediately to put into practice and 2) it makes hand-eye coordination less precise. That being said, if you are used to acceleration, then chances are you should still use it.

Sensitivity is a big topic for a lot of people too. My rule of thumb is find one that feels comfortable and then just get used to it through the afore-mentioned practice.
Thanks given by:
When I first started experimenting with them (acceleration and sensitivity) I was all over the place, but I finally hit on settings that made a very noticeable positive difference. I originally set them at half what they are now, they've both crept up slowly as I've got used to it. So it works for me, as they say, which is good 'cos I need every bit of help I can get! :D
Thanks given by:
I really appreciated this thread (although kind of late for me).

As far as shooting goes...

I also had to adjust the mouse acceleration and sensitivity, I was terrible on the defaults. I also tweaked scope sensitivity, that helped a lot for sniper shooting. I imagine these will vary from hardware to hardware and from operating system to operating system... but here what I use on my 10.04 Xubuntu desktop PC with a mouse.

3.5 sensitivity
.375 acceleration
.19 sniper sensitivity
auto sniper sensitivity off

I also have a FOV (field of view, graphics settings) of 112. Try some graphics settings, be willing to sacrifice some eye-candy for smooth game play.

I tried the adjustments mentioned earlier:
/smoothdist
/smoothmove

Those seemed to throw me off, more than help. I'm back on the defaults for those.

But when it comes to getting shot by others...

Boring as it may be, my advice would be to practice moving. I mean there are so many really good players out there, you are dead if you aren't running at top speed and double crouch jumping off the barrel through the window!

... Keep moving... do jump shots (not every time!)... crouch now and then... master the crouch-jump... master the double-crouch-jump...jump off the corners of boxes.... KEEEP MOVING... back and forth... around (and back) of that corner... forward and back ... MOVE FASTER... don't get stuck on walls, corners, or obstacles... MOVE MORE ERRATIC... practice the switch to knife and back (or other weapons)... practice scanning around and shooting while flying through the air... strafe-run all the time... shoot while running...change directions all the time...change up your running speed by toggling the scope...

Do all of that stuff intelligently and fluidly? Your enemies will miss. I guarantee it. The players that consistently beat me, are the ones doing the cool moves (certain jumps and stuff) that I haven't totally mastered yet.

In most good maps there are strategically placed boxes and items to jump off. Practice jumping off corners to get the added jump boost. Play in a totally empty map (all by yourself, no bots) like douze and desert. Run, jump off corners (spin around in the air) and shoot through the doorways and down the corridors (obvious places an enemy is likely to be or come from). These same maps get played constantly, you should be able to recognize those spots where the enemies are going to be BEFORE you round that corner. Be aimed and prepared (preferably flying though the air!) and then just fire instant you cross the threshold (and maybe make a tiny mouse adjustment for aim if necessary). Then you're having real fun.

When you can move well, you will play well.

Lastly, there is blood chemistry. This is highly personal, but try some experimentation. Caffeine, nicotine, sugar, etc etc etc...

And if anybody has any idea how to reliably hit enemies with ~300 ping (and mine less than 50) I would totally love to hear how. Cuz, that's impossible.
Thanks given by:
Hahah awesome post, thanks!
Thanks given by:
BTW, you forgot to talk about mastering how to gain velocity jumping on low ceiling places, like the window in desert RVSF, which is done by spamming space when on such places...
Thanks given by:
use shotty
Thanks given by:
@paul: You should avoid that in 1v1's and certain types of matches (depends on map size) since it just gives out your position. I see that move more as a trick than a tip really.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 12, 02:22AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: @paul: You should avoid that in 1v1's and certain types of matches (depends on map size) since it just gives out your position. I see that move more as a trick than a tip really.
Hahaha you are right!
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 12, 09:28PM)Liz-Taylor Wrote: I tried the adjustments mentioned earlier:
/smoothdist
/smoothmove
That fucked up for me too. I think the only but an important aspect when playing is your reaction time. Still can't figure out how many millisecs I take.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /sensitivity <dependsonyourdpi>
/maxroll 0
/vsync 0
/maxfps 1000
/smoothmove 67 (this will help with the "jerky" feeling of enemies swaying side to side)
/smoothdist 10

once you've found your minimum fps values at maxfps 1000, i highly reccomend maxing your fps at that lowest stable number. this will give you better hitreg on public (and some match) servers.

other than these commands, I just suggest practicing tracking with your mouse. try and strafe run a lot, and always have your crosshair aimed at places where enemies could come out of, e.g. doors and windows, instead of just having your crosshair aimed at the floor or sky like a dopehead. gl and keep practicing

Fantastic advice.

Also, if you want to improve your aim, might want to give Sauerbraten a try, I know jackrock plays it partially for this purpose. :) Not to mention the game itself is really fun.

Good luck!
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 12, 08:13PM)Minty Wrote: Also, if you want to improve your aim, might want to give Sauerbraten a try, I know jackrock plays it partially for this purpose. :) Not to mention the game itself is really fun.
Practice aim on Sauer? wat. I could maybe see that happening if you play a lot of iCTF, but the guns there don't have recoil and/or kickback.

(06 Aug 12, 06:48PM)Link Wrote: That fucked up for me too. I think the only but an important aspect when playing is your reaction time. Still can't figure out how many millisecs I take.
http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html
Anything close to 0.3 seconds or less is good.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 12, 09:35PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(06 Aug 12, 06:48PM)Link Wrote: That fucked up for me too. I think the only but an important aspect when playing is your reaction time. Still can't figure out how many millisecs I take.
http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html

:D I have an average of 0.3142.
Thanks given by:
My average was 0.2286 ftfw.

(06 Aug 12, 09:35PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(06 Aug 12, 08:13PM)Minty Wrote: Also, if you want to improve your aim, might want to give Sauerbraten a try, I know jackrock plays it partially for this purpose. :) Not to mention the game itself is really fun.
Practice aim on Sauer? wat. I could maybe see that happening if you play a lot of iCTF, but the guns there don't have recoil and/or kickback.

Agreed with wolf, sauer is a lot of fun (I play it a bit), but it throws off your AC aim, especially if you use different sensitivities for each game like I do. I dont recommend using sauer to train your aim. I think if anything, iCTF has improved my sniper reflex, but the best thing I use for training aim is this.
Thanks given by:
This one is good too.
Thanks given by:
First try I got "B+: Rank of Naval Operations". Need some practice with that one xD. Thanks for sharing.

edit: 2nd try I got "A- :Fleet Admiral". win
Thanks given by:
I got .223 average reaction time... how's that for coincidence.

One other piece of advice about playing assault-cube, I joked about it above, but it makes a huge difference.

Connection speed can hurt or help, drastically. I have played on foreign servers and just rocked their world (like 70 frags to 10 deaths... just to make something up). I would have every noob in the room screaming that I must be cheating (but they don't know what it is). But, I could play those same guys on a much more local server (in home country) and there those very same players are my equal or maybe even kick my butt badly. Then, I could play them on my own server (where my ping is less than 5) and the dynamic can completely change again. Typically, I usually play really good on my server (except against players whose pings are ~300).

I don't know what to do about it. But do keep it in mind. You can use it to your advantage, and be super awesome dude, too. It might be to your disadvantage, and have the worst score game after game.

I usually always play on servers where I have a good low ping. I feel like I'm cheating if I go to a server that I have over a 50 ping... it certainly is not cheating. Go tear up some fuzzy foreigners and feel good about it.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 12, 09:35PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html

rather fun. after several try here is mine. Who did better? 0.006 ftw
Thanks given by:
(11 Aug 12, 08:07PM)Edward Wrote:
(06 Aug 12, 09:35PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html

rather fun. after several try here is mine. Who did better? 0.006 ftw

You're supposed to wait until the light turns green to click/press.
Not click rapidly >_>
Thanks given by:
I play sauer in iCTF for my sniper aim, I play with no crosshairs for the carabine thingy, other than that it's not hard to own there with the ultra fast SMG with no recoil or spread, you might look everything slower in AC.

My advice to you, is listen to Undead Wolf and play hehe
Thanks given by:
Train, train and train.
Feel free to contact me for assistance/advices.
Thanks given by:
I got 300MS reaction time, fuck i suck
Thanks given by:
^That a good counsel, but, no link for * site Xenon? XD

*Insert word with offensive connotation here.

Tip: No hang in IRC, Forums, or pron site all day long.
Thanks given by: