How to fight properly?
I have been playing AC for 3 years now, but I'm still a lousy fighter.
So I have some questions.

Throwing granades with G takes me to much time. How others are able to toss them so quickly, even during a jump? Or just drop them besides me passing by?

I see others swaying quickly from side to side to avoid hits. Is this done with the <a> and <d> keys only or a cheat? Doing so, how one can shoot with accuracy?

I lose almost every fight on distance. While I fire all my ammunition in vain the enemy kills my with the first shot, barely viewing me. I'm not talking about snipers.

I appreciate your suggestions

Glar
Thanks given by:
Most handy tips IMO

Run diagonally - it makes you go faster
Movement - I just spam my A and D keys to straif. but mix it up too, long and short straifs.
Short controlled bursts - When you click and hold it down you weapon is less accurate.
Practise - Practise Practise.

EDIT: You can cook grenades also, this can help alot but the timing takes practise.
Thanks given by:
For grenades use the right click on your mouse to change from your main weapon. Then hold the left click to time them.
Thanks given by:
Wait isn't the swaying side to side a maxroll setting?
Thanks given by:
maxroll has no impact on how the other players sees you, it just makes you feel drunk
Thanks given by:
It can be described the same, except he is talking about what looks like hitting a and d.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 12, 10:41PM)Mystered Wrote: maxroll has no impact on how the other players sees you, it just makes you feel drunk

LOL, but I do remember when I spected someone they looked like they were more like tilting side to side while turning....
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 12:55AM)W@rr!0r Wrote:
(03 Jul 12, 10:41PM)Mystered Wrote: maxroll has no impact on how the other players sees you, it just makes you feel drunk

LOL, but I do remember when I spected someone they looked like they were more like tilting side to side while turning....
Irrelevant, it doesn't make you harder to hit or anything like it.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 01:00AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(04 Jul 12, 12:55AM)W@rr!0r Wrote:

Irrelevant, it doesn't make you harder to hit or anything like it.

I thought it gave me an advantage, even though it is kind of annoying. Now I have good reasons to turn it off. xD
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Hello glar, I suggest you to to also ask in game, maybe you find someone nice to give you some tips and teach you a few tricks.
For nades go to HTN servers , for fast movement and fragging try in a ladder server, TyD or BoB preferably, or if you know Brazilian Portuguese, sJ servers would fit as well! XD.
Happy fragging!
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 01:30AM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Brazilian

I would correct this, but it seems to be a whole different language now.
Thanks given by:
^ You can correct it, it's still portuguese.
Thanks given by:
/sensitivity <dependsonyourdpi>
/maxroll 0
/vsync 0
/maxfps 1000
/smoothmove 67 (this will help with the "jerky" feeling of enemies swaying side to side)
/smoothdist 10

once you've found your minimum fps values at maxfps 1000, i highly reccomend maxing your fps at that lowest stable number. this will give you better hitreg on public (and some match) servers.

other than these commands, I just suggest practicing tracking with your mouse. try and strafe run a lot, and always have your crosshair aimed at places where enemies could come out of, e.g. doors and windows, instead of just having your crosshair aimed at the floor or sky like a dopehead. gl and keep practicing
Thanks given by:
in addition to the above advice:
- practise with the assault rifle and smg, if you can get 1vs1's against people in your skill bracket, play them on ac_douze in survivour. if you stick to it your skill level will go up
- find players around your skill level and try to play matches with them. if you can't find people to form a team with, get involved in interclan matches. you can connect to these servers by typing
/connect [ip] [port] [password]
into the console in AC.

common inter connects are:
o-n-e.tk 9999 match
o-n-e.tk 8999 match
la.dyhclan.org 4444 match
la.dyhclan.org 5555 match
lolol.tk 8888 match
lolol.tk 7777 match
hlin.woop.us 9999 match
hlin.woop.us 8999 match
hlin.woop.us 7999 match
hlin.woop.us 6999 match
uk.myys.tk 9999 match
uk.myys.tk 8999 match

an easier way to get an inter besides hopping around servers is to get onto IRC(find an IRC guide if you don't have it) connect to GameSurge and join the #acinter channel.

of course, you can just join public servers and practice your aim, but the avenues listed above are better.
Thanks given by:
read this strategy guide and then practice!
Thanks given by:
Diagonal running.
Short bursts of automatic weapons.
Get as close as possible to enemis if you're equipped with a shotgun.
1v1 against people who are the same skill level as you.
If you have a sniper, never look for them with with your crosshair* when no scoping, wait until they run across it, and when you are sure you'll hit them, fire a shot.

*I said crosshair, but it's basically where you think the crosshair would be.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /smoothdist 10

what exactly does this do. I have never heard of this command. Ever.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 12, 11:53PM)bballn45 Wrote:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /smoothdist 10

what exactly does this do. I have never heard of this command. Ever.

This is from the assault cube docs:

Quote:Determines the speed when extrapolating a players position.
Default seems to 75 but the range you can set it to is between 1 and 100.[/quote]
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 12, 09:22PM)glar Wrote: I have been playing AC for 3 years now, but I'm still a lousy fighter.
So I have some questions.

Throwing granades with G takes me to much time. How others are able to toss them so quickly, even during a jump? Or just drop them besides me passing by?

I see others swaying quickly from side to side to avoid hits. Is this done with the <a> and <d> keys only or a cheat? Doing so, how one can shoot with accuracy?

I lose almost every fight on distance. While I fire all my ammunition in vain the enemy kills my with the first shot, barely viewing me. I'm not talking about snipers.

I appreciate your suggestions

Glar

*Grenades... I use sniper so scrolling to grenades is what I have to do. However, when you use any other weapon the right click is definitely faster, as mentioned above, but I just right-click twice instead of clicking right then left. As far as "dropping" the grenades, you will find that if you look directly down while throwing a grenade, it will "stick" to the ground, useful when done in doorways mostly.

**"Swaying" ... This is useful... if you are boring :P. Two things will help you the most with auto weapons.
1) Most people are right handed, and it is more comfortable and therefore more accurate to move their mouse to the right. Knowing this, the best thing to do when entering a firefight is to begin to circle your opponent counter-clockwise ;).
2) Learn to crouch while jumping.
-don't just sway back and forth, randomly move in all directions so you are not predictable, and aim with your keys, not your mouse.

***Distance fights... Fire in bursts. three to four for medium distance, and two round bursts for long distance (with AR). Add a few rounds for smg.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /sensitivity <dependsonyourdpi>
How would you find out you're recommended setting? Is there an equation, converter online, or what?
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /smoothmove 67 (this will help with the "jerky" feeling of enemies swaying side to side)
/smoothdist 10
What do these do exactly?
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 12, 02:29AM)Link Wrote:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /sensitivity <dependsonyourdpi>
How would you find out you're recommended setting? Is there an equation, converter online, or what?

uhh I'm not sure lol. I guess the best way is to just test different settings and see what you find comfortable.

(12 Jul 12, 02:29AM)Link Wrote:
(04 Jul 12, 11:52AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: /smoothmove 67 (this will help with the "jerky" feeling of enemies swaying side to side)
/smoothdist 10
What do these do exactly?

Short answer is, they help with tracking enemies with your mouse. Well, I use them and they help me anyway.
Thanks given by:
/smoothdist 10

I can't tell a difference between the default and 67. If it helps with that "jerky" feeling... Hmm, I actually haven't noticed lol. I guess I'll play more games with values of 67 and 75 then.

V-Man explained what smoothmove and smoothdist does pretty well in IRC, although I haven't got logs..
He did say something about a higher smoothmove and smoothdist value is better for playing with higher ping, and the opposite if playing with a lower ping.
Thanks given by:
I'll try to find the logs.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=B8L5cBuK

In brief:

[9:18pm] B}V-Man_AC: it tells your client how to handle network latency
[9:18pm] B}V-Man_AC: basically there is a difference between where your client knows where a person is versus where that person actually is
[9:19pm] B}V-Man_AC: smoothmove tells your client how long to let that go before "jerking" the other player to the correct location
[9:19pm] B}V-Man_AC: smoothdist helps that function by dictating a distance to use instead of the esoteric parameters used in smoothmove
Thanks given by:
I did these: "/smoothmove 67" and "/smoothdist 10" and my accuracy went up by about 7%. I'm psyched about that. I can't really tell a difference except for the fact that players seem to move less which is obviously a plus haha. Thanks for that tip. Works beautifully.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 12, 12:46PM)blueberry Wrote: I did these: "/smoothmove 67" and "/smoothdist 10" and my accuracy went up by about 7%. I'm psyched about that. I can't really tell a difference except for the fact that players seem to move less which is obviously a plus haha. Thanks for that tip. Works beautifully.
omg it works
Thanks given by:
That's basicly it wut everyyone else said :d vs good players(people better than u) so u can practice with them and get better

Yea ac_douze on survival improves aim quite a bit
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 12, 12:46PM)blueberry Wrote: I did these: "/smoothmove 67" and "/smoothdist 10" and my accuracy went up by about 7%. I'm psyched about that. I can't really tell a difference except for the fact that players seem to move less which is obviously a plus haha. Thanks for that tip. Works beautifully.

Glad it helps others and not just me :D
Thanks given by:
looool i didnt noticce the difference until i looked at my accuarcy :D went from 30.8 to 46.5 8D THANKS Vanqu!sh :D
Thanks given by:
same. better accuracy for me. thanks :p
Thanks given by:
Me no better, please help...
Thanks given by: