.cfg file opener editor ? skymap
need to change my skymap on one map i made. i have windows. i copied the /default_map_settings.cfg and pasted it into my /packages/maps file. then i renamed it the (name of my map).cfg and then i couldn't open it. then i searched the web and got a free file viewer to view the .cfg file. well... i could view it but couldn't change it. any suggestions ? (the free viewer did have an edit drag down tag at the top but after a few tries it did not work. maybe they want to sell me a more complete product.) maybe someone knows a way around it.
Thanks given by:
Any text editor will work, like Notepad, Notepad++, Kate, Vim, Cubepad, etc.
Thanks given by:
Aye, .cfg is a general config extension. Windows might think it's a registry configuration file, but it's easy to tell it to use a text editor instead.
I recommend either CubePad (CubeScript support) or Notepad++ (CubeScript highlighting plugin available somewhere).
Oh! And CubePad also has map config file support.
Thanks given by:
I recommend Cubepad, it is specifically designed for editing cube-based .cfg files. You'll need to know how to extract from .tar.gz though, because it's currently only available through the SVN repository. Be warned, it's still in beta, so a few features may be missing.
Thanks given by:
7-zip makes that easy.
Thanks given by:
(10 Aug 10, 09:50PM)MusicMan10 Wrote: I recommend Cubepad, it is specifically designed for editing cube-based .cfg files. You'll need to know how to extract from .tar.gz though, because it's currently only available through the SVN repository. Be warned, it's still in beta, so a few features may be missing.

here is a very noob question. what does SVN stand for ?
and another noob question(for other noobs too lol) is .tar.gz a website or a file type?
oh and is cubepad free ?
Thanks given by:
(11 Aug 10, 02:08AM)mikebefore Wrote:
(10 Aug 10, 09:50PM)MusicMan10 Wrote: I recommend Cubepad, it is specifically designed for editing cube-based .cfg files. You'll need to know how to extract from .tar.gz though, because it's currently only available through the SVN repository. Be warned, it's still in beta, so a few features may be missing.

here is a very noob question. what does SVN stand for ?
and another noob question(for other noobs too lol) is .tar.gz a website or a file type?
SVN = Subversion
.tar.gz is a filetype, like .zip, .rar, .7z and so on. You can open it by using 7Zip for example.
Thanks given by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion#...e_activity
Thanks given by:
A related question, is .cfg just a plain text file?
Thanks given by:
Yesssss.
Thanks given by:
Basically. Yes. Exactly.
Thanks given by:
I've always wondered that. No more duplicating .cfg files and then replacing their contents for me :).
I could've tested it myself, but I always copied it just to be safe.
Thanks given by:
I highly suspect the original poster has got "hide extensions for known file-types" turned on - this would be indicated by a text-file icon and no visible extension after saving a simple file written up via Notepad. I suggest turning on this feature, or - if you've copied the default_map_settings.cfg (do you see the .cfg for it?) just don't add (a 2nd!) .cfg to it - cause the file would then be called my_map.cfg.cfg .. and unless you saved your map as my_map.cfg.cgz it doesn't match the maps' real filename ;-)
Thanks given by:
hey that happened to me today .. when i was saving as and finally sucessfully got a different official skymap to load for the first time with the default map settings.cfg copied, pasted to my maps folder, then edited and saved under my maps name with a .cfg (or not adding it since it naturally was) this was on my xp netbook and it automatically views on notepad. .. my vista laptop didn't let me view the files so i will re read the above post in a couple days to see if i can get a solution. thanks flow. (i downloaded cubepad anyhow to both computers.)
Thanks given by: