[Solved] Mac Users: Why won't Airport Utility open?
Hiya mac users and others who may know a thing or two about macs...

Of course, I have a mac (a macbook to be precise). I have recently tried port forwarding. While I have experienced success in doing so with an ethernet connection, I have found that I would much rather host a server and use a computer in my room rather than my basement...So therefore, I have tried port forwarding my Airport connection.

Jg99 gave me this thread with the complete tutorial: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1601.html

Initially, I was happy until I realized that when I opened Airport Utility, as the instructions said, the program could not locate my wireless connection. I got the same results sitting two floors above it and standing right next to it so distance is obviously not of the issue...

Does anyone have any experience with mac port forwarding? Is there something I can do to make my connection recognizable? Or is there "detour" tutorial I can use? All answers are appreciated :D

Note: Sorry, I've been making a lot of "help calls" lately on these forums...
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1601-post...l#pid25161

its FULL mac server tutorial
Thanks given by:
Well, first thing that comes to mind is that your router is not an apple product. Which is what the utility is made for. If it isn't then any other port forwarding tutorial will help lead you to the right place, and a tutorial for your router would be best.

Feel free to tell us your Mac OS version and what kind of router you have.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 12, 05:54AM)Jg99 Wrote: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1601-post...l#pid25161

its FULL mac server tutorial

lol dude. thats the link i posted....
(22 Mar 12, 06:10AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Well, first thing that comes to mind is that your router is not an apple product. Which is what the utility is made for. If it isn't then any other port forwarding tutorial will help lead you to the right place, and a tutorial for your router would be best.

Feel free to tell us your Mac OS version and what kind of router you have.

ighty good to know...i'm pretty much a nuub when it comes to macs because i just got this thing (since its new, its prolly the latest OS version). the router is a netgear WNDR3700. i looked up a couple of youtube tutorials but all of them were done with ethernet :(
Thanks given by:
You may need to connect your computer to ethernet before forwarding your ports. Once they are forwarded, you dont need ethernet. All depends on the router. You also may want to look up tutorials on how to set up a static internal IP for your computer.
Thanks given by:
will static IP help? i portforwarded successfully while hooked to the ethernet. the server ran. then i unplugged. the server didn't run. does that got something to do with static IP?
Thanks given by:
Probably. Make sure you set an internal static IP. Also called dhcp reservation or something like that.
* Ronald_Reagan isn't sure.
Thanks given by:
it took me a LONG time how to forward ports correctly, now it takes me 10 secs to forward ports :D
Thanks given by:
it also should be said, running a server on wifi is extremely laggy. The packet loss alone is enough to deter most people.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 12, 07:15PM)Waffles Wrote: it also should be said, running a server on wifi is extremely laggy. The packet loss alone is enough to deter most people.

i did it before....the reason i need to forward ports is because i just moved across the country and got new wifi service and all that...people had like 200 ping on average though on my home servers...
(22 Mar 12, 07:17AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Probably. Make sure you set an internal static IP. Also called dhcp reservation or something like that.
* Ronald_Reagan isn't sure.

you, my kind sir, are a genius. it works!
Thanks given by:
My first time forwarding ports was a little tricky as well but after that it was pretty easy.

Another problem solved!
"Good Job Team!"
Thanks given by: