How to stop impersonators
Hey everybody,
How should I go about stopping impersonators? I was playing on {TBR}'s Minix server just now and someone was impersonating me and then teamkilling people. Is there any way to stop this? It makes the game less than enjoyable.
Thanks given by:
AC Blacklist Reports

Things that help when reporting an offender:
* Name(s) used.
* Date/Time (including timezone).
* Server it occured on (including IP/Port of the server).
* Demos/Screenshots of the offense(s).
* IP (or a partial IP).
* A detailed description of what they did.

You can also create a nicknameblacklist for your clan and ask server owners if they wanna use it.
AssaultCube Documentation :: AssaultCube servers
Thanks given by:
^^^
* MykeGregory wanders if certain nicknames can be registered using IP addresses?
Thanks given by:
..such as =SA=Ascomix. That guy has been added to the blacklist by about 10 different people. Dude still uses the tag after about a year of wearing it. ~Issues
Thanks given by:
(29 Jan 12, 04:57PM)MykeGregory Wrote: ^^^
* MykeGregory wanders if certain nicknames can be registered using IP addresses?

Using nicknameblacklist without IP is kinda agaist what it should do imo.

So, adding for you something like:

accept MykeGregory 192.0.0.1 46.0.0.0/8

Will only let you use the name if you are in the IP/IP range listed.

Of course a /8 range is to big but that was just an example.
Thanks given by:
(29 Jan 12, 05:41PM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: Using nicknameblacklist without IP is kinda agaist what it should do imo.

So, adding for you something like:

accept MykeGregory 192.0.0.1 46.0.0.0/8

Will only let you use the name if you are in the IP/IP range listed.

Of course a /8 range is to big but that was just an example.

I don't really understand the CIDR ranges very well. I was reading about them on Wikipedia. Sorry if this is a noob question. :)
Also, how do I figure out what this guy's IP is? I have no idea, and I'm not an admin on the server.
Thanks given by:
(29 Jan 12, 06:29PM)Dynamite Wrote: I don't really understand the CIDR ranges very well.
Well, the details can get a little complicated (bitwise operations and such), but it comes down to this usually:
1) The lower the number, the more IPs are affected. /24 affects 254 IPs, /16 affects 65534.
2) The number of hosts ("IPs") affected is calculated as 2^(32-NumberBehindSlash) -2
3) Don't go higher than /16, or in really extreme cases maybe /15, because at that level you'll be banning entire ISPs. (EDIT: this is for blacklists ofc. For something like a nickname blacklist, /8 would work too)
4) Trial and error - start with something low, like /19, and if that doesn't do it, go further.
5) Complete Idiot's (a.k.a. mine) estimate on ranges (don't take this too serious):
/8 ... a country
/14 ... a (medium-sized) ISP
/16 ... a small ISP, or a big ISP's local subnet
/19 ... might still catch the guy, but often not

(29 Jan 12, 06:29PM)Dynamite Wrote: Also, how do I figure out what this guy's IP is? I have no idea, and I'm not an admin on the server.
/whois
Thanks given by:
i used to have to have problems with imposters, i just reported, and others helped me by reporting them
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I thought you had to be admin to do that. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
To get full IP you need admin, but partial IP can help a lot.
If you only have a partial IP try getting in touch with server owner to get full IP or at least post server offense happened on so server owner can provide full IP.
Thanks given by:
You could of course report it on the TBR forums. tbr-clan.ath.cx

We are quite strict on bad behaviour.
Thanks given by:
I would have, but I didn't know how to get partial IP.
Thanks given by:
In-game, press TAB and see what cn the player you want IP for is on.
Then you type /whois cn
For example: /whois 7
Thanks given by:
As long as you don't wait too long, we can normally get it out of the server logs if you provide the name they were using. An approximate time would help too. If you make a post on the TBR forums, then I'm sure Iguana will look into it when he's got a spare moment.
Thanks given by:
Is there ever going to be a time that you must register on ac's website and then having to login the first time you play assault cube? That would obviously put impersonating to the grave as well as make it easier to blacklist/recognize/find players. Just thought of this, 1 name per ip unless requested for siblins or modderating purposes.
Thanks given by:
I was impersonated a while ago by someone. That person was also impersonating others I think such as Jg99 and [SODA]Gurkha. I think that person got blacklisted, but it was annoying.
Thanks given by:
Most impersonation can be stopped by baning RealViking aka Fredrick :)
Thanks given by:
(09 Mar 12, 08:49AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: Most impersonation can be stopped by baning RealViking aka Fredrick :)
CBL RealViking. V63.

Thanks given by: