Need a clan server?
I began renting a VPS not long ago and I have a surprisingly high amount of unused resources available to me. I believe that I should share these resources instead of letting them go to waste, and I don't think I need to operate a large number of servers just for myself. Since there may be some quite good clans out there with a home-run server or no server at all, I'm offering servers to clans at no charge.

To be considered, you should have knowledge of the following:
  • how to connect via SSH
  • Linux terminal basics
  • how to maintain and update your AC server

What you get:
  • an account with an unconfigured installation of AC 1.1
  • plenty of bandwidth (the only person who needs to worry about bandwidth limits is myself)
  • full control over your server's files
  • a subdomain (you.maxfrags.com) to connect to your server, if desired
  • a limited amount of storage space for AC's files and demos

It is your responsibility to keep the AssaultCube server up-to-date with any patches or future versions. It's also your responsibility to ensure the server isn't neglected; blacklist maintenance and assigning of admins is handled by you.

The VPS is located in Florida.
Thanks given by:
Darn, now I want to make my own clan :)
Thanks given by:
This is a very nice offer nef!
Might I suggest you add some match servers, and perhaps some duel servers with all those extra resources? They would use up very little bandwidth. Match severs are always useful. As for my U|Canada servers, I find the Duel ones are the most used, whether for coop mapping or just for 1v1s.
Thanks given by:
noerrors, i would like to get one or two for Xu, just small ones, maybe 10 people, but i dont know how to work what you want me too. Is their any tutorials? Do i need linux?
Thanks given by:
You don't need Linux, but the VPS runs CentOS Linux so you need to know the commands used in Linux. You connect to the CentOS server on Windows through a program called PuTTY. However, the only GUI part of it is entering the connection information of the VPS. Once you connect, you're given a command prompt and a login screen. Upon logging in, you'll then need to know your way around the Linux terminal in order to navigate through files and other things.

I considered how I wanted to do this server offering, and did consider setting up servers for other people. The reason I had to rule that idea out is because if they don't know enough to set it up themselves, they wouldn't know enough to maintain it themselves and make any changes they feel necessary. Then the responsibility would be on me to make all their changes for them, which is highly inconvenient for them and a burden for me.

This is probably ideal for Linux AC players, because they're already familiar with basic commands, and as in my case when I started administering the BC servers through SSH, Google helps with the rest.

One idea I had in my head is a web-based server administration script, but I think it would be a lot of work and I can't code. It would allow the game server owner to stop and start their server, modify configuration files, and so on.
Thanks given by:
Can I have one?
Thanks given by:
You don't have enough? :P This is for the less fortunate!
Thanks given by:
nef: you could just set up the server with FTP access to the ./config and ./packages/maps directories, and run the servers for them though?
Thanks given by:
I really want to thank noerrorsfound for doing this already! But i only have one comment wich i didnt really like: since i use Windows as operating system i got no point on how to do all this server stuff on Linux. & i guess i wont be able to gain a server at all now :(
Thanks given by:
I can probably do that, but it's a bit limited that way because any instance where they need the server restarted (changing certain settings), it has to be done by me. Logs could be written to a file they can access.

Surprisingly, I haven't even configured FTP yet on the VPS. I suppose this idea does make it more accessible to a lot of people. FTP programs aren't very difficult to learn and use.
Thanks given by:
noerrors: I am very interested in it.
Thanks given by:
Neo, make some servers for us.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't hurt to have more, can I? :)
Thanks given by:
Wow very generous offer NEF! :D

DES is a bit short on servers these days, I'd like to have a go at setting one up for us if the offer is still available. Could you PM me if it is?

Please and ty. :)
Thanks given by:
DES is short on servers? :O Our clan doesn't even have one. Remember Bukz, Shearing is Cearing.
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 10, 05:36PM)Lightning Wrote: DES is short on servers? :O Our clan doesn't even have one. Remember Bukz, Shearing is Cearing.

Haha the minus point on this whole offer: we will have to fight for a server xd
.cO' also doesnt have a server, so yeh just try to enjoy the offer before it is stopped :D
Thanks given by:
n1 NEF
CentOS rules ;)
Thanks given by:
you know WUT. i dont want a server,gg.
Thanks given by:
nef, might I suggest to you that you 'rotate' these additional resources among clans that are new to AC?
What I mean is this - older clans really should be able to host their own servers, they don't need the help. There are some newer clans, however, which are actually decently responsible and fairly nice guys, and they could use the help. If new clans that could be trusted to run a server were given one for a few months, they could learn how to run a server, and when the server was given to another new clan, they could potentially host their own, if they were willing to take the time and effort.
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 10, 06:28PM)ärkefiende Wrote: n1 NEF
CentOS rules ;)

:)
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 10, 08:47PM)U|Zarj Wrote: nef, might I suggest to you that you 'rotate' these additional resources among clans that are new to AC?
What I mean is this - older clans really should be able to host their own servers, they don't need the help. There are some newer clans, however, which are actually decently responsible and fairly nice guys, and they could use the help. If new clans that could be trusted to run a server were given one for a few months, they could learn how to run a server, and when the server was given to another new clan, they could potentially host their own, if they were willing to take the time and effort.

I agree. I dont need someone else to host a server for .cO'! I would just appreciate it if someone could teach me how to host our own server, since i tried it before but i always get a small problem ... And these written guides, pff ... , i dont understand a piece. I would really be happy if just someone could teach it to me via Skype/TS3 ...
Thanks given by:
if each server was, say 10-12 players, and relatively full all the time, how many servers would/could give out? i have some linux basics down to claim one... :)
Thanks given by:
I am very interested also :) RoH is a new clan and we don't have any servers at the moment. That is a very kind thing of you to do! :D
Thanks given by:
Niceee
Thanks given by:
I am an underprivileged child. May we have oNe? (joke intended) PM me for details, if the offer is still out there.
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 10, 05:25PM)JGAN Wrote: if each server was, say 10-12 players, and relatively full all the time, how many servers would/could give out? i have some linux basics down to claim one... :)
Not sure exactly, just going to monitor resources as I go along. If you don't know enough about Linux you can have one set up through FTP but then you have less control.
(06 Aug 10, 07:11PM)RoH|FlameZ Wrote: I am very interested also :) RoH is a new clan and we don't have any servers at the moment. That is a very kind thing of you to do! :D
Do you want to go with the SSH or FTP option?
(06 Aug 10, 11:21PM)Impaktd Wrote: I am an underprivileged child. May we have oNe? (joke intended) PM me for details, if the offer is still out there.
The thing about these requests from well-established clans is they generally have some servers, and I'm wanting to help people without the resources to have one of their own. I won't be providing very many of these because I don't want to "oversell" my resources like some hosting company, if you get what I mean. If I'm providing additional servers to people already having them, that's less I can provide for people without them. I also still want enough resources available for whatever random personal projects of mine get started.
Thanks given by:
SSH would be nice! :) Thanks!
Thanks given by:
(06 Aug 10, 11:54PM)noerrorsfound Wrote:
(06 Aug 10, 11:21PM)Impaktd Wrote: I am an underprivileged child. May we have oNe? (joke intended) PM me for details, if the offer is still out there.
The thing about these requests from well-established clans is they generally have some servers, and I'm wanting to help people without the resources to have one of their own.
Well, to be honest, none of us really have the resources to run a server, let alone a great one. As established as we are, we've never been known for running servers. (note: not really run any in the past year, either, besides 2 match servers with the help of a 'third party', of which those 2 servers are down.) I'm not trying to cajole you or anything, but it'd be nice to have :P lol.
Thanks given by:
hey i dont know if your still doing this, but i have a server but its really hard for me to keep it running 24/7, and i cant afford a vps so if the offer still stands could you do this for my clan server too please?

if not thats fine, thanks
Thanks given by:
nice
+1
Thanks given by: