SVN mapping
I saw recentrly that, the mapping on the SVN (so for the next version) changed.

1-When you crouch in edit, you fall down
2-So you can't crouch in mapping
3-you are slower

I would see what mappers think about it (please test it before speaking)

1-It does not cause problems i just don't have the habit
2-now you can't have acces to crouch zones and it affect the editing gameplay (i seriously don't like it!)
3-i think you can modify the flyspead value in edit (as in spec) but what was the old value?
Thanks given by:
I don't see how it's any less convenient, if not more convenient.

By editing the flyspeed (default 2.0) you can transverse larger maps with great speed.

For testing if you can crouch under areas... don't use edit mode :P
Toggle it on/off and check collision under real conditions.

append: And crouch to move down is easier in my opinion than rotating the camera after moving via WASD. It also retains your camera angle.

append: And you go through walls anyway in edit mode -- I don't know why you would ever want to use edit mode to check collisions?
Thanks given by:
Please, before speaking about the /clockstop command, play some inters or CM.
Please, before speaking about the editing changes on AC, make some map on 1.1 and on the SVN.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
*has made maps in 1.1 and SVN*
*points still stand*
*is not the blatantly implied noob*
Thanks given by:
WTF Exoduss, his points are valid regardless of his own experiences. You can address the points directly or ignore them, but don't shove it into a box of "everyone who is new has no valid contributions."

Anyway, I've been spending the last three months playing with the new map editing features.
1 - Being able to ascend/descend without having to point the camera at where you're going is a great advantage to a mapper who wishes to get a view of the different height levels without having to fiddle with the camera too much.
2 - Being half-buried in the floor while editing is just as good as (if not better than) crouching.
3 -
(09 Jan 12, 01:39PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: By editing the flyspeed (default 2.0) you can transverse larger maps with great speed.
Normal speed is flyspeed 1.

If you need to test a crouch area, hit your edittoggle button and crouch.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 09:24PM)V-Man Wrote: 1 - Being able to ascend/descend without having to point the camera at where you're going is a great advantage to a mapper who wishes to get a view of the different height levels without having to fiddle with the camera too much.

Crouching was usefull (it has always be since the start for me) i can't explaint it in French so i'll not try in English, i just want a way to crouch in mapping cause you just deleted a fonction.

BTW: the jump make you go up to slowly now, why did you change this?

(09 Jan 12, 01:39PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: 3 - By editing the flyspeed (default 2.0) you can transverse larger maps with great speed.

No, it's not and the gamespeed command was clearly enough for solo mapping.

(09 Jan 12, 09:24PM)V-Man Wrote: If you need to test a crouch area, hit your edittoggle button and crouch.

You are joking.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 09:54PM).ExodusS* Wrote:
(09 Jan 12, 09:24PM)V-Man Wrote: Normal speed is flyspeed 1.
No, it's not and the gamespeed command was clearly enough for solo mapping.
The flyspeed command
Docs Wrote:Determines by how much to multiply the fly speeds by.
Thus, Multiplying normal gameplay speed by 1 (flyspeed 1) means normal speed.
I won't argue about the usefulness of gamespeed.
Quote:
(09 Jan 12, 09:24PM)V-Man Wrote: If you need to test a crouch area, hit your edittoggle button and crouch.
You are joking.
No, you're joking.
It's not difficult to edittoggle and crouch.
Thanks given by:
gamespeed, not flyspeed.

Quote:It's not difficult to edittoggle and crouch.

It was a function, please let it how it was, i used it and i'll use it again, if i say it, it's not to annoy you.

But i think i can't speak with you about this, you see this post as agressive (objective for me.).
I won't make another poll or fight with some devs to heard me about it, it's useless, the sniper poll and the 1428 posts about the weapon balance are the best exemples.
Some devs try to make this game better, some are ghost and some go backward.

Now i'm agressive.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 10:31PM).ExodusS* Wrote: gamespeed, not flyspeed.
Oh. Sorry about that.

Quote:It was a function, please let it how it was, i used it and i'll use it again, if i say it, it's not to annoy you.
I didn't have anything to do with it. I'm just saying I like the new feature.

Quote:you see this post as agressive (objective for me.).
Nah dude, I can see how it could get that way, but I know you only speak up about things you are passionate about.
Thanks given by:
I honestly don't see what the problem is here. The editing mode got some much needed improvements to how you can move, and you can still check if an area can fit a crouching player by toggling out of editmode. However, it wouldn't be hard to fix exodus' problem either, simply change where it checks for editmode.
[cubescript]
bind "LSHIFT" [if $editing [ down ] [ crouch ] ]
bind "SPACE" [if $editing [ up ] [ jump ] ]
[/cubescript]
so that exodus (and anyone else) can take out the check for editmode if they wish and use the old style editmode crouch.
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't you go through walls anyway? What's the point of crouching in edit mode as opposed to regular mode? Is there a way to enable wall collision in edit mode I don't know about?

.ExodusS* Wrote:No, it's not and the gamespeed command was clearly enough for solo mapping.
What if you're in the un-experienced minority like me and edit maps while playing with bots? Or at least want to be able to play with normal speed to see how long it takes to get anywhere normally/test grenades throws accurately?

V-Man Wrote:Normal speed is flyspeed 1.
Oops, miscommunication -- I was talking about the multiplier:

.ExodusS* Wrote:but what was the old value?

AC Docs Wrote:flyspeed N
Determines by how much to multiply the fly speeds by.
Token, Description Values, Range, Default
N, the multiplier, 1.0..5.0, 2.0
Commas mine.

append:
.ExodusS* Wrote:
Felix-The-Ghost Wrote:3 - By editing the flyspeed (default 2.0) you can transverse larger maps with great speed.

I didn't say both of those points :P
Thanks given by:
Uh-uh. Here's where the benefits of the new separate binds come in. For example, you could have LSHIFT do something like this:
[cubescript]editbind LSHIFT [ edittoggle; crouch; onrelease [edittoggle] ][/cubescript]
Similarily, you can add a sort of sprint that will temporarily (and conveniently) increase flyspeed...
[cubescript]editbind SOMEKEY [ flyspeed 5; onrelease [flyspeed 2] ][/cubescript]
Thanks given by:
Crouching just makes it so you dont have to look down to go down. I really like it.

What about the new updated binds?
What about the multiple area select?

Doesn't seem like you touched on the new editing mode features ;)
Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 10:53PM)Lantry Wrote: [cubescript]
bind "LSHIFT" [if $editing [ down ] [ crouch ] ]
bind "SPACE" [if $editing [ up ] [ jump ] ]
[/cubescript]

Oh really? and how do i change the jump high value?

(10 Jan 12, 01:01AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Doesn't seem like you touched on the new editing mode features ;)

I have tested near everything (and even the "how many solid walls are there in this area").
So what i seem to did isn't what i really did.
Thanks given by:
There are a lot of games that use jump/crouch keybinds to raise/lower the camera while in a free-spec-editing-flying-whatever state. I figured it would be a welcomed addition since most people would be used to it. I am, UT2K4 ftw. :D

As far as moving slower in edit mode, no way. The flyspeed variable leaves how fast you want to move in edit mode entirely up to you. (to a certain extent - flyspeed 5.0 is crazy :p)

It can always be tweaked if necessary and it isn't the end of the world.

P.S. We'll update the docs about all the new mapping features ASAP. If you want to play around with multiple selections, make a selection as you would normally, then hold the left control key (LCTRL) and make more. You can manipulate geometry/textures in bulk using this method. :D
Thanks given by:
Bukz Wrote:There are a lot of games that use jump/crouch keybinds to raise/lower the camera while in a free-spec-editing-flying-whatever state.

I really wanted to mention Minecraft since I know he plays it, but I figured he would think I was trolling or something :P Even though I like it too.
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 12, 05:17PM)Bukz Wrote: There are a lot of games that use jump/crouch keybinds to raise/lower the camera while in a free-spec-editing-flying-whatever state. I figured it would be a welcomed addition since most people would be used to it. I am, UT2K4 ftw. :D

Minecraft moving while editing/flying sucks, even when you fly, you are in a sort of smooth move who destroy the gameplay, you have no way to go down/up without crouching/jumping contrary to AssaultCube who already could!

(10 Jan 12, 05:17PM)Bukz Wrote: P.S. We'll update the docs about all the new mapping features ASAP. If you want to play around with multiple selections, make a selection as you would normally, then hold the left control key (LCTRL) and make more. You can manipulate geometry/textures in bulk using this method. :D

Already tested and approuved, it's the best way to texturing now. :p
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 12, 05:17PM)Bukz Wrote: P.S. We'll update the docs about all the new mapping features ASAP. If you want to play around with multiple selections, make a selection as you would normally, then hold the left control key (LCTRL) and make more. You can manipulate geometry/textures in bulk using this method. :D
YES YES YES YES YES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMGITHINKIJUSTPEEDALITTLEDFDJFDKFKDSJFLDJDLSFJFLFJDSJHJVOIWEVOENVEOWVOINVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! DJSFLSJFLKDSLFDSFJLSDJFJSDKFJDSFSDLFJSDFKDSFJDSJLFSDFLJFDJFKLOH YEAH.
That's kinda cool, Bukz :)
Seems like a useful addition to the game.
Thanks given by:
Luc@s implemented the idea so he deserves most of the credit. :)
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 05:41AM)Frogulis Wrote: Seems like a useful addition to the game.

It's helpfull, not usefull.
Thanks given by:
Exo: It is spelled with one "l", and they can be used in the same meaning :)
Thanks given by:
Arf, for me, "helpful" (with one "l" :P) is something that help you a lot but it's not something "useful" who is a must-have.
Thanks given by:
Why not give the choice of movement?
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 09:43PM)Cemer Wrote: Why not give the choice of movement?

It's already like this (even if it's not in the key menu, you could choice by binds command i think).
The problem is that jump high values have changed, and we can not change this value ATM.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 04:32PM).ExodusS* Wrote: Arf, for me, "helpful" (with one "l" :P) is something that help you a lot but it's not something "useful" who is a must-have.

They basically are the same word. For your meaning of useful, I would use essential or "a must-have" :)
Thanks given by:
I like "integral" :P
At least on resumes.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 05:53AM)Bukz Wrote: Luc@s

(12 Jan 12, 05:53AM)Bukz Wrote: deserves

(12 Jan 12, 05:53AM)Bukz Wrote: credit. :)

lol
Thanks given by: