Poll: Which is your winning map?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
ac_breach
4.92%
3 4.92%
ac_forge
6.56%
4 6.56%
ac_frostbite
1.64%
1 1.64%
ac_frozenlake
1.64%
1 1.64%
ac_gulag
6.56%
4 6.56%
ac_icicle
6.56%
4 6.56%
ac_ifran
8.20%
5 8.20%
ac_keep
3.28%
2 3.28%
ac_lainio
19.67%
12 19.67%
ac_nuuk
6.56%
4 6.56%
ac_surface
4.92%
3 4.92%
ac_unfrozen
24.59%
15 24.59%
ac_winteryfactory
3.28%
2 3.28%
ory_crate
1.64%
1 1.64%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

6th Official Mapping Contest - Voting
<3 nightmare :D
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 06:56AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Y U STEAL OPENSOURCE'S AVATAR?!
The avatar is provided by this forum so he didn't steal it. ;)

Anyway, i need more gameplay on maps to get a idea about it all.
For me gameplay counts a lot.
Thanks given by:
I must be the only one who saw this:

[Image: sans_t21.jpg]

This amazing mapping tricks was going to be my next tutorial video.

GREAT Z3R0 YOU WILL GO FAR!

Even if i didn't voted for you, i give you this message. :D
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 02:36AM).ExodusS* Wrote: I must be the only one who saw this:

[Image: sans_t21.jpg]

This amazing mapping tricks was going to be my next tutorial video.

GREAT Z3R0 YOU WILL GO FAR!

Even if i didn't voted for you, i give you this message. :D

what.
Thanks given by:
Is the image mirrored or what? The red dot is supposed to be top right!!!
Thanks given by:
Haha, Thank you .ExodusS* xD That was when I just discovered this trick and wanted to try it out, I thought nobody noticed it :P

I like to hear that coming from one of my favourite mappers, ty very much :)
Thanks given by:
I noticed. ;)
I found this one by making ac_warfare, unknow map because of a very bad gameplay (too huge too), you should see it. :)
Thanks given by:
I know ac_warfare, very nice map :D I found a window using this technique.

It's a shame it's too big, what ever happened to having 100 slot servers? :P
Thanks given by:
Yeah, i was novice at mapping, a good designer but a bad gameplay maker.
Undead teach me how to make good gameplay, watch ac_swamp/ac_cavern gameplay and you'll see. :p
Thanks given by:
What is the trick?
Care to explain exoduss?
Thanks given by:
I think it is that one of the heightfield corners is split (at two different heights)
Thanks given by:
That's a trick?
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 09:20PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: That's a trick?

Try to make a door like this, you will understand by yourself what is the tricks here. :)
Thanks given by:
Care to explain? :p
Thanks given by:
I think i gonna make a vid about it, even if it's not so hard when i'll have the time, in 3-4 days not before.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 12, 11:17PM).ExodusS* Wrote: ac_ifran is the best, even if it's not finished.

agreed. the creek is original. i like it. the only problem is the clips. i think some of them are oddly placed
Thanks given by:
The trick is with how bad the heightfield system is in AC ;)

Usually doing what he did would cause major glitches. You have to be very careful about how you did it. Not even sure of the "trick" he used :D
Thanks given by:
This contest had some very cool entries...
The only map I have played on is lainio (and this isn't going to change any time soon, due to my current internet situation), so my vote will be based on aesthetics and general awesomeness.
Sorry to people who put lots of thought into their layouts :P

Z3RO: Cool :D:D:D
R_R: I don't think it's the trick you're thinking of. From what I can tell, it's quite a simple trick that follows all of the normal heightfield rules. On an unrelated note, did you manually edit the map file to make nezorfnu?
Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 11:12AM)Frogulis Wrote: R_R: I don't think it's the trick you're thinking of. From what I can tell, it's quite a simple trick that follows all of the normal heightfield rules.

Nah it's like if you exploit a glitch (the heighfield one).
Thanks given by:
Frogulis, that is for you to figure out ;)

There are a couple hints that will tell you what I did.
Thanks given by:
Errm... So what is the trick?
Thanks given by:
ac_breach
After downloading this map i have to say that the layout of this map looks really solid. It might be a little bit too much cave and too few other things though. Little other criticism that is more a personal issue: im not a fan of 8-track maps. All those pickups in the middle part may be hard to remember when playing this map. If the theme would have been "Ice" instead of "Snow" it would have been one of the better maps. The map looks relatively simple, but damn effective. I would say that some more details (at cla base for instance) would really give the finishing touch to this map. If someone votes this on a server id vote f1 for sure.

ac_forge*
Needs more creative solutions for empty walls and open spaces. Useless rooms filled with boxes. Lacks good details. Gameplay is rather annoying. I like how the lights are done outside. Inside they make few sense(position of the lights) and the difference outside inside is cool.

ac_frostbite
Snow is strangely done. I like how Z3R0 does the inaccessible areas. Lacks interesting gameplay. Nice texture use. Well made.

ac_frozenlake
Nice idea, but too standard. This map doesnt have his own character. Clipping isnt done well everywhere. Texture use is ok. I cant judge the gameplay but some pickups look odd to me (healthpack Outer North East for instance) Still a nice job for a first map.

ac_gulag
Terrific map. Nicely done, but im affraid it doesnt fit the theme too well. Still the cold ambience is nice, detailing is great. The lights could have been better.

ac_icicle
Clips are strange. The 3 tiles are horrible. I can see this dude has good mappingskills, but really needs more creativity. I dont like the rooms full of boxes. Too many crouch places. Some rooms full some empty. Table and stairs from lainio.

ac_ifran
Messy gameplay, the clips... i wont even comment on them. Palletbridge with campingplace -1. A vest only for AR, im annoyed. Head-hits-sky-spots. This map shows that someone with great skills has done something. But this something is a messy map with too varried themes. I see all kinds of snowmaps back. In total: a sum of snowmaps copied into one map. This really had potential, but this map is just no good. Still its one of the better maps since it has something special. I guess it looks quite realistic in a way.

ac_keep
This is hardly a map. its more like a maze. The sky is too low, the detailing is poor and the houses are unreal. Texture choice is very poor. Lightning isnt done well (some areas are really dark and it doesnt fit the skymap at all) Doorways are way too small.

ac_lainio
Very creative, good lights. The only thing that i like less is the static height difference. (one way goes up the other two stay quite flat). Best map of the contest imho.

ac_nuuk
I love this map. Textures are nice, gameplay in flagmodes is good. This map gives definitely a snow feeling. I dont like the brigde part. at that point there is also an overflow of boxes. 2nd best map of the contest.

ac_surface
Nice map, the fog is cool. This map has really its own style in it. Bad thing is that the gameplay is really boring. I played it a few times, but its too squared. The lightning is, yeah, where is the light??

ac_unfrozen
Textures and lightning are very strange. Desert themed stuff in a snow map? The snow in the middle of the bridge is laughable as well as the snow in the river. So how is this snow themed?? I see factory rooms, i see rooms with fill-up boxes and pointless hooks, i see redlights in a room without lights... The holes in the wall are unreal. I see no things i havent seen yet in this map. I know its his first map, but its definitely not the best map of the contest. Gameplay is ok. and i have a positive word for the pickups.

ac_winteryfactory
Too many open spaces, its kinda big. Dont put so many boxes. Only seen it in coop so cant judge gameplay. Lightning looked not too bad for me.

ory_crate
There are huge open areas, but there are little places with 5 different mapmodels and so. Looks unreal to me. the roads are far too long for good gameplay and lack good detailing. Needs more snow in some places. I like some ideas, but technically this map is not able to compete.

Personal note: I dont mean to offend anyone, i know everyone spend time on this and did his outer best. Even though, I tried to look at those maps objectively. Dont feel bad if I burned down your map, there is a world of possibilities open to improve.
-edit- Downloaded ac_breach and added comment.
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 12, 04:12PM)YesWeCamp Wrote: ac_ifran
the clips... i wont even comment on them. A vest only for AR, im annoyed.

I agree with this, (even though I play AR mostly I agree its unfair) but even still I think it's one of the best entries, probably 3rd place for me out of everything.

IMO out of the ones I've played on, lainio is the only one I've ever voted in a server again after the maprot had changed it, I think it's nice aesthetically, the pickups are balanced and it's "layout" is pretty cool. Therefore it gets my vote, and I hope it wins!
Thanks given by:
Voted: AC_Lainio.

The best without doubt (the fact that Halo did it has nothing to see with my choice) . Lainio has a clear and plain project, very well designed, very accurate. Comprehensible. And masterfully enlighted.

The only fault to my eyes is the too symmetric plan. It would be perfect with some more "fancy" passages. But for what I see from his other maps this is typical from Halo.

Ac_unfrozen is good too but it is a bit too untidy, under a merely architectonic point of view.
Thanks given by:
Several very good maps with only a few votes still...

Just a reminder to look at all the maps.
Two horse race is really boring...I'd rather see a 14 horse photo finish. ;)

Thanks given by:
gogo Titan. :D
Thanks given by:
I haz been promoted to "this dude"!! woohoo :D
Thanks given by:
ifran is obviously the best out of all the maps.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 12, 07:04AM)Titan Wrote: I haz been promoted to "this dude"!! woohoo :D

<3 I just looked at the maps and from only a few i remembered who made it.
Thanks given by:
All B} members have already voted now, they reach the top votes. :D
Thanks given by: