{BoB} Ladder News
The point is that enet (AssaultCube's protocol) was designed to be very lightweight and run on old hardware/connections such as 56k dialup. When server owners begin to add ping thresholds, those of us who are unfortunate enough to still use that old hardware are left out in the cold. Yes, I know that playing with a lagger can be frustrating, but chances are they are not doing it purposely. If it was up to them, they would be on the same setup as you and no longer have to worry about lagging.

Nobody ever said that the game was designed for me and lucky just because we have bad internet connections. We are just a good example of why enet is so awesome - we can still play with and hold our own against people with much better connections.

I'm not saying you should abandon this idea, but I would be very careful when adding a ping threshold to your server. You may miss out on a lot of traffic and potential "GG's" because of it.
Thanks given by:
What I don't like is being invited to an inter where I suddenly discover I have 750+ ping.
Everyone whines about my lag the entire match, and I leave feeling like I've inconvenienced everyone by accepting an invitation to an exotic server. I'd rather not be able to connect to a server where I would otherwise piss off everyone around me.
Still,
Bukz Wrote:be very careful when adding a ping threshold to your server.
Thanks given by:
But what happens if somebody's on AC and they want to play on the ladder, but the only ladder server on is the one he/she's "BLed" from (as so happened to me just now)?
It's kinda annoying, plus it's not like there are a ton of other decent servers - besides those GEMAs, @campers, and TOSOK douze/desert servers (he said with a hint of sarcasm).

Just a thought.
Thanks given by:
Heck, make a packet jump threshold instead.
Thanks given by:
I agree with V-Man's point about unanticipated lag in inters.

Also, I find it really unlikely that you'd be banned from every running ladder server. More likely you'd just have to join an empty server and wait a little bit (I do it all the time)
Thanks given by:
So, how about helping with it?
They have been asking for it now many times.
Okey, they have been asking for a ping threshold, but if you can help with PJ threshold im sure they be happy to use this also/instead.
Thanks given by:
i have said too much, but not enough ;)... I personally enjoy playing in pubs with my friends all over the world, especially Bukz, GD, Lucky (although i hate him in clan matches ;), k4z and other good ppl i didn't mention and i will promote playing on pubs that are open for all (and i am sure that most of BoBs will follow my example)... but, still we can and we will offer regional servers to players that want to play more seriously ;)

pj treshold is awesome idea, and any help with it would be appreciated
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 11, 01:27AM)RAMPAGE Wrote: i have said too much, but not enough ;)... I personally enjoy playing in pubs with my friends all over the world, especially Bukz, GD, Lucky (although i hate him in clan matches ;), k4z and other good ppl i didn't mention and i will promote playing on pubs that are open for all (and i am sure that most of BoBs will follow my example)... but, still we can and we will offer regional servers to players that want to play more seriously ;)

pj treshold is awesome idea, and any help with it would be appreciated

Yeah i know how you feel. Playing on a server where we both have around 230 ping is a killer for you <3. But ask Bukz said it was not made for us but it was designed so that small portion of people with old hardware and shit connections can play. Yes though any chance of me getting highspeed is at 0 untill i move out of this rural place (or the work surrounding 3/4 of my house get torn down)
Thanks given by:
We all have a choice with who/where we play somewhat. If people so choose they can play on European servers, but it is meant as a safe haven. If/when we continue this and get american, south american, and oceania servers, everybody else can join in the exclusive fun.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

On christmas day and new year's day, points earned will be doubled on all servers. Get your fragging caps on and whoop some ass!
Thanks given by:
And dont forget to actually talk with your family. Isn't that what most of it is about?
Thanks given by:
Which is why, for a limited time only, the staff of AssaultCube are offering a FREE chat client with a BUILT-IN FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER so you can chat with your family this Christmas WHILE YOU PWN THEM WITH A SHOTGUN!!
Thanks given by:
(14 Dec 11, 07:51AM)MasterKaen Wrote: When I saw this on the serverlist I searched every BL I could find for my IP. It was a solid hour of OHSHITOHSHITOHSHI before I saw this post.

I did it the hard way as well :P ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But I have played with a 30 ping in American servers and it doesnt help when some one has a much higher one, at least for me. I just hate when all of Europe is getting those precious ladder points (SCREW K/D) I do love the concept though

Signed TeB}oW :P
Thanks given by:
Well, I see no problem in having a server that will only accept players with low ping and that of course mean players from a particular region, whether it really makes a difference or not in game play it does give players the impression of fairness. I usually play only in servers where I have ping <150 but it's easy for me caus I have a 50Mb/s dedicated connection, so unless its a Asia-Oceania or Brazilian home server I can maintain a decent ping pretty much everywhere.

But here is the thing thou: I remember that back in the day I used to play a lot on RK servers, with 250 ping and lag was never a huge problem, it only became pretty bad when players from South America (usually) and very high ping/pj filled half the server. And I played in many servers that gave constant and HUGE lag spikes even when most of the players had low ping.

That makes me think that the ping/lag problem have to do more with server owners exceeding the capacity of their VPS/connection than anything else.

I maintained one public and 3 match servers hosted on a VPS strategically located in US south that was able to maintain <150 ping for most American players (north, central and south) with minimally decent internet connection, I had loads of lag free matches there with lots of Brazilian and South American players, you can ask former Only3 and M|A dudes about it.

This VPS I contracted far exceeded the minimum requirements I was told were necessary to run such servers, and that information I gathered from people with large experience in running AC servers, that VPS of course came with a price tag that after a while was too much of a burden for me and I had to I shut them down.

That is why I'm bringing the question of VPS/connection capabilities, caus it seems to me that server owners are trying to bite much more that they can actually chew...

My two cents!
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 11, 06:03PM)ElCrema Wrote: Well, I see no problem in having a server that will only accept players with low ping and that of course mean players from a particular region, whether it really makes a difference or not in game play it does give players the impression of fairness. I usually play only in servers where I have ping >150 but it's easy for me caus I have a 50Mb/s dedicated connection, so unless its a Asia-Oceania or Brazilian home server I can maintain a decent ping pretty much everywhere.

There is a lot of servers.
I care about Brasilians (ex), if there is any good server where they still have a good and descent ping, they must come on EU servers, it's OK.
But somewhere it's good to know that if i want any laggers (constant laggers for sure) in a game, there is a server for it.
Now there is a problem about the ladder...
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 11, 09:11AM)CharlyMurphie Wrote:

Signed TeB}oW :P

Tebow XD
<3
Thanks given by:
^^^^<3 (sorry for off topic) 9for9 flags yay
[Image: 15334fq.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I wish I would have read this earlier. I wanted to actually contact the owner of the server and ask why I was blacklisted.
Thanks given by:
(14 Dec 11, 08:57PM)RAMPAGE Wrote:
(14 Dec 11, 07:32PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: I would try auto kick for ping in excess of idk maybe 200

I agree completely with this (although the ping should be lower, not more than 150)... The problem will cause lag spikes and server will kick all our players out... If someone knows how we can prevent ppl with bigger pings getting on the server, pls help us... :)

I noticed today that when you open assualt cube , on the command prompt it logs your geopraphical area. Idk know how accurate it is but I had something like english_United States.1252 I dont know if this gets transferred to multiplayer or stays local on your cmd P. Just an idea...
Thanks given by:
(30 Dec 11, 12:12AM)legends454 Wrote:
(14 Dec 11, 08:57PM)RAMPAGE Wrote:
(14 Dec 11, 07:32PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: I would try auto kick for ping in excess of idk maybe 200

I agree completely with this (although the ping should be lower, not more than 150)... The problem will cause lag spikes and server will kick all our players out... If someone knows how we can prevent ppl with bigger pings getting on the server, pls help us... :)

I noticed today that when you open assualt cube , on the command prompt it logs your geopraphical area. Idk know how accurate it is but I had something like english_United States.1252 I dont know if this gets transferred to multiplayer or stays local on your cmd P. Just an idea...

Wow really? Freaky ARGHH!

Thanks given by:
Auto kick for pings with more than 200?! Anderson, don't know if you know about it, but that's the minimum players in the Americans get from a European server. Why not just disable any connections from other continents? :|
Thanks given by:
i get around 90-130 usually wolf. then again, i'm pretty far east coast so that might be an isolated circumstance. either way, we're working on a solution and will have it implemented soon.
Thanks given by: