n00b question - FPS?
Okay, how can I get more fps? Up until two days ago, I'd been playing with a mere 60. I heard that having more fps can make you aim better with automatic weapons such as the AR and SMG. And when I ran into B}titi on a server a few days ago, he showed me how to disable vsync and improve my fps; this did help with my AR aim dramatically (and when I burst it hit instead of just dissimulating into a random burst of nothingness - and recoil is easier to control too).
But I now have what fluctuates between 160 and 190 fps, is there any way to get more? I have seen many people's screenshots and they have about 500fps. My friend |LN|.EL. even gets 1000. Is there any way to increase my fps, such as having a bigger/smaller screen? Or by reducing the graphics somehow? If reducing the graphics is possible, could someone please explain it to me?

Sorry I'm such a n00b. Thanks for any responses :)
Thanks given by:
If you have more than 120 fps, I really don't think there is any need to try and get even more. There is a point where the extra fps is actually just waste and more strain on the GPU.

If you still want to turn down your video settings to try and get more, launch AC and:

ESC > Settings > Video Settings > Advanced video settings...

And play around in there. Running AC at a smaller resolution may help, or even run it in a window as opposed to fullscreen.

There are also two important commands that you shouldn't forget about:

[cubescript]/fpsrange
/maxfps[/cubescript]

These two commands can dramatically increase FPS, but like I said, eventually you won't see any improvement in your gameplay and the GPU will be working harder. AFAIK, humans cannot see the difference beyond their monitor's refresh rate.
Thanks given by:
Wich graphic card and processor do you have?
Thanks given by:
(02 Dec 11, 05:07PM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: I heard that having more fps can make you aim better with automatic weapons such as the AR and SMG.this did help with my AR aim dramatically (and when I burst it hit instead of just dissimulating into a random burst of nothingness - and recoil is easier to control too).
This happened to me also, after playing the game for more than 1 year, my hits finnally started to register once i increased my fps to 120. This is the max i can get on laptop, still its not enough! On my desktop i get around 800 - 1000 with my windowed screen height at 800 and width 600, almost all shots register, depending on server and ping.

I would also recomend you to search some tips on how to close unwanted applications or processes that might be running in background without you even noticing.

Thanks given by:
Glad i could help, Vanqu!sh
Thanks given by:
On-Topic
Basically everything thats been said.
-Window Mode
-800x600 resolution(or less, super blurry though if you go any further)
-Horrible Graphics(in settings)

Slightly Off-Topic
Never liked the fps freedom though. Everyone knows more fps = win. Game is supposed to be for the people with junk computers, but they are at a significant disadvantage from the start.
AC y u no force /maxfps 60 ?!?!?!?!

People with good computers: stfu nightmare! D:
people with old comps: Nightmare 4 prez. Equality!

Thanks given by:
[cubescript]/vsync 0
/textreduce -1
lighterror 8
[/cubescript]

And ofc, turn down all water effects (reflect/quality)
Thanks given by:
If your monitor runs at 60hz, which it's safe to assume it does, 60 fps is all you need. The screen itself can only refresh 60 times a second, so having just enough fps to never drop below 60 is just as effective as having 500.
Thanks given by:
if you don't have a stable 1000 fps you stand no chance.
Thanks given by:
(02 Dec 11, 10:33PM)Vermi Wrote: if you don't have a stable 1000 fps you stand no chance.

ikr <3

Anyways Bukz says any fps beyond monitor refresh rate does nothing, and that a lot of players are secretly only running 60-120 fps. Some more, Some less.

Thanks given by:
Correct, unless you have a 1000hz refresh rate on your monitor of course. Not sure if those exist. :p
Thanks given by:
FFS read this;

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

FPS and refresh rate are totally different and not linked!

Meh, when will this ever get settled...

Dont believe it, try it yourself those with decent machines with good graphics cards know the more FPS you get the better (within reason), put simply aim for about 400-500 much more and its just for posser's 20-100 and you will deff feel things are slower.
Thanks given by:
My monitor's refresh is 60 Hz, and trying /maxfps 60 in-game seemed a bit sluggish :s

edit: this was before anderson's post. you guys settle that debate... <3
Thanks given by:
SO 60 FPS has become mare in the past few years??? (I'm just thinking that is what you'll get on most modern games unless you have a full out gaming rig.)
Thanks given by:
Sure you can have 1000 fps on a 60hz monitor, that doesn't mean you're gonna see all 1000 frames every second. I never implied that they were the same things, but if the screen isn't refreshing at the same rate, it's wasted.
Thanks given by:
Sorry Bukz but thats simply not true, many studies have shown increasing FPS does give improved performance and many tests have shown people can percieve single frames at 250 FPS and this is backed up by the experience of most gamers who will tell you the same thing.

Its not a spend all your money on hardware game though a graphics card costing £25 is capable of giving 300-400 FPS.

But at the end of the day, make your own mind up, try it, look at the evidence if you are happy with 60 fps then i think thats great, but dont try and convince everyone else they should be using the same...
Thanks given by:
I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything. Only trying to give some helpful advice. Refresh rate is a hardware limitation, you simply can't see 1000 fps on a 60hz screen. I would guess that people are experiencing the "placebo" effect when they play better with insanely high fps.
Thanks given by:
Bukz, people don't buy better hardware so they can see all those 1000 frames a second, they do it because it makes your automatic weapons register bullets easier; therefore making you kill faster, be a better player, and kill more so that = winning games. Sad but true.
Thanks given by:
i do not notice any visual changes between 60 and 1000 fps, but the truth is that the game responds better at higher fps, the hit registration. I wish devs would take a serious review on the code where this happens, and i agree with Nightmare:
Nightmar Wrote:AC y u no force /maxfps 60
Its a game meant for all machines, good computers shouldn't have an advantage over slower ones. I wonder if this is the reason there are so many shotgunners...
Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 11, 12:04AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Bukz, people don't buy better hardware so they can see all those 1000 frames a second, they do it because it makes your automatic weapons register bullets easier; therefore making you kill faster, be a better player, and kill more so that = winning games. Sad but true.

75 fps ftw.

Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 11, 12:37AM)macm Wrote:
Nightmar Wrote:AC y u no force /maxfps 60
Its a game meant for all machines, good computers shouldn't have an advantage over slower ones.

What do you think, how long would it take people to just remove such a restriction?
Thanks given by:
The sad thing is that in AC (at least), the FPS is more tied in with the game logic than it should be.
Thanks given by:
Slow and steady wins the race.
High FPS that zips between 120 - 500 and can't settle on a resting point will always look jittery.

while your computer may not have the ability to display a full frame as often as you'd like, it often tries, leading to tearing. Vsync fixes this, as well as the unstable FPS issue.
Thanks given by:
My computer loves taering on pretty much every single 3d app I run, so I've ended up enabling my graphics driver to force vsync on any 3d application. So I always get 60 FPS and I've never found myself at a disadvantage ingame. Maybe you all need to practice more :/
Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 11, 08:27AM)SleepKiller Wrote: My computer loves taering on pretty much every single 3d app I run, so I've ended up enabling my graphics driver to force vsync on any 3d application. So I always get 60 FPS and I've never found myself at a disadvantage ingame. Maybe you all need to practice more :/

LoL, yes you are right you are so much better than everyone else here who has posted...
Thanks given by:

(03 Dec 11, 09:18AM)DES|Anderson Wrote:
(03 Dec 11, 08:27AM)SleepKiller Wrote: My computer loves taering on pretty much every single 3d app I run, so I've ended up enabling my graphics driver to force vsync on any 3d application. So I always get 60 FPS and I've never found myself at a disadvantage ingame. Maybe you all need to practice more :/

LoL, yes you are right you are so much better than everyone else here who has posted...
Yeah I ownz you all :P No but really my point was if your think your at disadvantage just practice more.
Thanks given by:
AFAIK, unless you have unusually low fps, frame rate no longer affects hit registration or rate of fire, at least in SVN.
Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 11, 02:19PM)Bukz Wrote: AFAIK, unless you have unusually low fps, frame rate no longer affects hit registration or rate of fire, at least in SVN.

excellent

Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 11, 02:19PM)Bukz Wrote: AFAIK, unless you have unusually low fps, frame rate no longer affects hit registration or rate of fire, at least in SVN.
Great news!
That was fast :D
I was starting to doubt myself, so it did (does in 1104) affect hit registration. This is what we expect from a shooter game, thank you for taking the time to review and fix it :)

Thanks given by:
Pretty sure flowtron announced hit reg got fixed like...months ago. :)
Thanks given by: