Music
I'm just wondering. Who all in our community is musical? I know I am, I play viola, a little violin, and do many other musical activities. I am very musical. Who else is, and what do you do? Any samples of your work?
Thanks given by:
I play electric bass now. Once played drums and guitar too. Tried singing once, but I sucked.
Thanks given by:
Classical and electrical guitars and mouth harp. ♥
Thanks given by:
I play Drums, Guitar, Bass and do Vocals sometimes.
Thanks given by:
I have no idea of music composition, but i play guitar with internet 'tabs', it's a little noob but i like it! I allways do very bad Vocals in shower :), like lightning i guess
Thanks given by:
And I compose epic orchestras in my head :P
Thanks given by:
I play guitar, bass, saxophone, piano and have been trying singing, recently. Fairly big into music theory and write down some music on occasion. My old band: http://www.myspace.com/27sny I'm on guitar there. Also the main song-writer / composer. I'm in a new band called Legion, but we've yet to put the effort into making a Myspace and typing in nonsense. I've also a bunch of finished stuff as .midi files, because I'm far too lazy to record it all. If you've GP5 or just wanna take a listen to bleeps and bloops, just tell me!
Thanks given by:
Cool - theory is something I am trying to get into right now.

I liked those songs on that page - just whenever the song was reggea/skaish, the bassist played really strange imho.
Thanks given by:
I sing when i take a bath and i'm always playing an imaginary piano... does that count? i have no musical talent at all, but i play chess at a decent level :P
Thanks given by:
(30 Jul 10, 05:10PM)makkE Wrote: Cool - theory is something I am trying to get into right now.

I liked those songs on that page - just whenever the song was reggea/skaish, the bassist played really strange imho.

Yeah, I never said the music we made was good d: The bass was mostly like "okay, we need a bass groove. play some notes in key and we'll roll with it from there". Thus, music.
Thanks given by:
Heh I wasn't going to say it was crap, no no - it's just that reggea and the like was always one of my favourites, and many bassists get it wrong :)
Thanks given by:
Played clarinet and piano when I was 6. Haven't touched either since.

If I were to start playing an instrument today it would be violin/piano.
Thanks given by:
I like theory, taking it a step further is into brainscience, about how the brain is affected by music. Really interesting stuff (for me at least).
Thanks given by:
You will love this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Brain-Ecstas...038078209X
Thanks given by:
I'm reading this one
http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tales...901&sr=1-2
and will read this one
http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Mu...901&sr=1-1

Musicophilia is really good, I suggest it to everyone here.
Thanks given by:
Looks quite intresting. I am a light synesthete myself, so I'd love to learn more on the matter.
Thanks given by:
I play cello, bass, and guitar extremely well. My only problem is I only enjoy playing by myself.
Thanks given by:
Trumpet, used to do Saxamophone. I also know a really little bit of piano (but, who doesn't).
Thanks given by:
@MakkE:
What sort of synesthesia do you experience?
Thanks given by:
I see colours and shapes/textures for everything audible.
It's a mental image that goes with every sound.
I also have colours/textures for letters and numbers, and days of the week, also for taste, but only marginally there. It's handy when remembering phone or pin-numbers, or birthdays :P But that's about the only practical use.

In music, when I know the chords or root notes, they take on the colours of the letters (but not in every case). If I don't know the chords, the sound will mostly dictate the colour. A piano is always light blue for example, voices are always shades of gold. Also, the loudness dictates the size. Distorted guitars are always shades of black/grey, unless some colourful notes are thrown in. Metal to me is pretty much black and gold all the time (black and grey if the singer only grunts) :) Also, it's like a moving still picture, very hard to explain. I tried to paint it several times, but the movement makes it nigh impossible.

I can not really imagine to be only hearing, it must be weird :P

My synethtesism is only "light" though - not like other people who can solve complex math just by "looking at the inner landscape" or have a distinct object for all numbers 0-10000 ...

My brother is a philosopher, and he also sees synesthesae of words, ideas, thoughts, conceptions and relations... I don't. Words are just combinations of letter colours to me.
Thanks given by:
Man, thats pretty cool, yeah, he has a big section on synesthesia. His book is set up in the way of many people's experiences, so you see the wide variety of the different inflictions (I could've used a better word there I'm sure). He also offers current science theories and their applications to understand it. I believe that he said it was suggested at one time (and more evidence has come in now to support it) that synesthesia is a backward connection from the brain to the eyes, so the brain is telling the eyes things, (or maybe that was the chapter on musical hallucinations).

Anyways, it is a great book, I would suggest people to read it so they get a sense of how it is for them.

A couple questions for you makke (because I am very curious); Even though you haven't experienced the "normal" way of experiencing music, does it ever get in the way? Also, does it adjust the way you feel about music (like thinking that those colors dont fit together)? Finally does these colors affect your art (I'm assuming you are a artist, as you are the lead artist on the team)? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but you have to know that I'm fascinated by most of the things covered in the book. I'm also fascinated by the way the brain processes information.
Thanks given by:
That's hawt.
When I was a kid I used to try to force myself to see colors in music. Now I mostly just play AssaultCube.
Thanks given by:
I only see sound as abstract shapes.
Thanks given by:
(31 Jul 10, 01:33AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: A couple questions for you makke (because I am very curious); Even though you haven't experienced the "normal" way of experiencing music, does it ever get in the way? Also, does it adjust the way you feel about music (like thinking that those colors dont fit together)? Finally does these colors affect your art (I'm assuming you are a artist, as you are the lead artist on the team)? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but you have to know that I'm fascinated by most of the things covered in the book. I'm also fascinated by the way the brain processes information.

I don't think it's all that diffrent from people who don't have mental images go along with the music. If I hit a wrong note on my bass for example, that note will somewhat break the shape/structure, and also look weaker/smaller. But I think someone just hearing would also percieve it as a similar disruption.

If a recording is badly mixed, for example the guitar being too loud, I hear people say "I can hardly hear the rest over this" - I will just hardly see the rest, too.

I don't think it really gets in the way or is that much diffrent from "only hearing" people. It's just a diffrent way to percieve things. If at all, I think it might help a bit (for example when adjusting amps). But since I don't know if others simply hear what I hear and see, I can' t really make assumptions if it's an advantage.
It helps me personally though - a 7th cord always has some green to it, a major has stronger colours than a minor, diminished always adds dark grey... etc. Going from a subdominant7 to the "I" might even inverse some colours.

As to visual art: I don't think there is much influence from one on the other, because what I physically see is not connected to the mental images of sound.
A good song might look like a good abstract (albeit moving) painting to me, but a good painting doesn't sound like a good song - it's just a painting I look at.
If there are any influences, it would be impossible for me to tell.
Just sometimes when I edit audio files, I instinctively look for photoshop tools to adjust the contrast or something :P

Real visuals do influence the abstract things I see in sounds though.
Especially the physical properties of an instrument or object do mix in, for example a snare drum always has some white to it (but also some "sand" from the snares), cymbals some yellow/gold, unless the bell is hit, wich will be red.
A harp has somewhat lengthy streaks in it, an abstraction of those small metal tongues that make the tone. But this only happens if I know the instrument, or know it's material, and how it works.

This actually got me into techno, mainly psytrance. Since those sounds used are abstract, my perception is abstract too. Very nice to look at :)

I think though that many people have synestesia, they just aren't used to seeing them, or cannot access them properly. Especially when talking about music, most things are described visually. A bass may have a "wooden tone" or might sound "bright and metallic". Guitars are dirty, clean, bright or dark; notes are high and low, etc etc...
Thanks given by:
Ha, thanks for responding to my questions, its very interesting.
I kinda know what it is like to not have experienced something different, as I am partially color blind, it just blows my mind to think that there are other colors (well, not other colors per-say) out there. People tell me that it must suck to be partially color blind, and really, no, not really. Its something I haven't experienced so I cant tell if it would be better or not.

I think the way we describe isn't related to synesthesia right now, maybe earlier, but not now, as these words were probably picked up form other people, and you dont have to see it to describe it with visual descriptions. Just as if you see bright color, you might describe it as resonant. Its just my thinkings though. The words used might of came from a person with synesthesia.
Thanks given by:
I play the guitar, piano and flute!
I had a small band, but we only recorded 4 musics in portuguese, in amateur way
Thanks given by:
Saxophone and violin. I kinda suck now.
Thanks given by:
Kinda suck now? Really? I think thats doing pretty good. Better than some can say.
Thanks given by:
I play guitar and I improvise a lot.

I play classical, blues and metal.
Thanks given by:
(03 Aug 10, 03:41AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Kinda suck now? Really? I think thats doing pretty good. Better than some can say.

I mean I'm significantly worse than I was a couple years ago. I can barely play the violin and am not nearly as good technically on the saxophone.
Thanks given by: