Random maps
This is suggestion: every round server randomly generates new map and send it to all clients. I think it is possible due to simple AC's map structure and small size of maps. I think this may be funny:)

Example: http://davesmapper.com/
2d map generator. AC's maps are 2d too, so it must be easy to implement.
Thanks given by:
I like the idea but I can see it failing hard due to the average AC player voting in douze, shine, depot, and power... repeatedly. It would have to be on a server with a specific maprot and no map voting.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 11, 05:36PM)RPG Wrote: AC's maps are 2d too, so it must be easy to implement.

Yea, V-Man this should be easy to do why the fuck aren't you done already? Jeez.

Sidenote: it's not easy to implement. Consider everything you must do to create a map anyone would want to play on.
You must create some rooms that fit together, look nice, and make an interesting map, they must be textured, entities must be placed and oriented, ladders must be done carefully, and it must meet the quality requisites.

Then you'd likely need to run an application alongside your server that generates and replaces the map at random after each game because I'm not sure you can modify the map rotation without restarting the server. Maybe you can. Players would also have to wait in a transitional map between games while the map is generated and replaced.
Thanks given by:
V-man has made a random map generator that's in beta today take a look at it.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 11, 05:36PM)RPG Wrote: AC's maps are 2d too, so it must be easy to implement.

I like that "go-get-'em" mindset! Maybe you can help me with these problems I've run into while scripting a random map generator.
http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=989
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-3991-post...l#pid69921
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-3991-post...l#pid69948 (bottom of the post)

Now then.
Despite any level of sophistication from automated generators, I firmly believe that a map needs human care in order to be truly enjoyable. As such, it would be completely plausible to generate random maps server-side and send them to clients (as mentioned by Ronald_Reagan to me); it might even be pretty fun if the script gets particularly advanced and detailed (it will suffer from diminishing returns though: the script will need to be four times as large in order to double the detail). However, truly great maps will need human intervention.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 11, 07:44PM)Woolly Wrote: I like the idea but I can see it failing hard due to the average AC player voting in douze, shine, depot, and power... repeatedly. It would have to be on a server with a specific maprot and no map voting.
Yes, many people like to play old known maps. Maybe there must be whole server win random map rotation only?

Quote:Then you'd likely need to run an application alongside your server that generates and replaces the map at random after each game because I'm not sure you can modify the map rotation without restarting the server.
I can run that application inside of server. I mean modded server.

V-Man, your generator doesn't work for me:( Maybe u made it for SVN version?
It's scripting, but I'd like to do it in c++.

Look at http://davesmapper.com/
This generator has some pre-made map patterns. It generates a map by placing these parts randomly. After it, generator may add some details: entities, cracked walls and so on.

Also: http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/
http://pcg.wikidot.com/pcg-algorithm:dungeon-generation
Thanks given by:
(30 Sep 11, 05:26AM)RPG Wrote: V-Man, your generator doesn't work for me:( Maybe u made it for SVN version?
It's scripting, but I'd like to do it in c++.

Yes, it says in the first AND second post of the thread that it was made for SVN.
Thanks given by:
This generator doesn't work with SVN version too.

Quote:unknown alias lookup: selxs
unknown alias lookup: selys
Thanks given by:
Do you have the required files down the bottom of the first post of that thread?
Thanks given by:
Of curse, yes. I tried everything, but:

unknown alias lookup: selxs

While selxs and selys commands works in console!
Thanks given by:
Well, running a command as /command is quite different from an alias lookup. Either your binary or V-Man's script is outdated (can't tell you which one right now, sorry)
Thanks given by:
Seems to be working for all the other testers...
You're running the script from its menu?
Thanks given by:
If your SVN version of AC is up to date then it won't work because its map editor is now able to handle multiple selections at once.
selx is not a cubescript-variable anymore, it's a cubescript command which returns the list of x-coordinates for each selection
(same for sely, selxs, and selys)
Thanks given by:
D:
* V-Man scrambles to update

Okay Luc@s, how do you make multiple selections in script ?

Mod edit: whoops
Thanks given by:
Waiting for update:)
Thanks given by:
(30 Sep 11, 07:08PM)V-Man Wrote: D:
* V-Man scrambles to update

Okay Luc@s, how do you make multiple selections in script ?
ATM you can't, but i can change that

Btw i don't remember if the win32 binaries are up to date

EDIT: done
(try addselection / resetselections commands)
EDIT II: documentation will come later :P
Thanks given by:
Okay, so you've made it to echo the selection parameters, but taken all other access to the selection away from Cubescript? FML
Anyone who wants to use the map generator script should revert to SVN revision 6646 until this is fixed, I am not going to make a kludgy conline-spamming workaround. :(
Thanks given by:
(30 Sep 11, 08:47PM)V-Man Wrote: Okay, so you've made it to echo the selection parameters, but taken all other access to the selection away from Cubescript? FML
Anyone who wants to use the map generator script should revert to SVN revision 6646 until this is fixed, I am not going to make a kludgy conline-spamming workaround. :(

no
read my post carefully
the only difference is you have to read the list returned by, selx for example
looplist (selx) x [ echo $x ]
Thanks given by:
0^!lcLwLt24
0^!lcLwLt22

and

Even if it did what you described, you could have done this without taking away backwards-compatibility.
Thanks given by:
The multiple selections thing was my idea, it will enable mappers to do things in bulk (in fact your script could maybe become much more optimized). I'm sure we'll be able to figure out something to make it backwards compatible with the old editor.
Thanks given by:
I'm sure if it returned the list properly, it wouldn't be too much work to modify the script to say (at (selx)) instead of $selx. Sorry for being grouchy earlier, I didn't see the change as being so easy at the time.
And yes, making all the selections and then performing the functions in bulk would probably make some of the script a bit faster.
Since we're changing editing things:
Could we add a command that returns the currently selected cube's ceiling height, floor height, textures, and other things? :D
Thanks given by:
Ceiling height and floor height I would REALLY like. ^.^ Some times you want things level and it would do no harm to add it. Also you'd know whether or not you're within limits.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 11, 05:36PM)RPG Wrote: This is suggestion: every round server randomly generates new map and send it to all clients. I think it is possible due to simple AC's map structure and small size of maps. I think this may be funny:)

Example: http://davesmapper.com/
2d map generator. AC's maps are 2d too, so it must be easy to implement.
A couple of years ago, "yam" released a wonderful piece of software that generated AssaultCube maps from bitmap files. No texturing or anything, just geometry, elevation, entities, and stuff like that.

I'm not sure where it went. If anyone still has it, that would be incredible. I'm quite interested in the possibilities that can be pursued.

And if anyone can find him, that would be nice too.
Thanks given by:
(29 Sep 11, 07:44PM)Woolly Wrote: I like the idea but I can see it failing hard due to the average AC player voting in douze, shine, depot, and power... repeatedly.
It's funny because I remember when people were complaining so much about official maps never getting voted at all
Thanks given by: