"Saluting"
hello guys...
i have a technicall question
when you see some1 saluting at you and he gets transparent (like when he lags and it says LAG) is it possible that he shoots at you? i know you can't shoot him but can he shoot you while he saluts? thanks :)
Thanks given by:
I dont think so.
as far as i know, if you see him saluting, he sees you saluting too.
Thanks given by:
so how is it possible that you see him looking forward while he shoots at 90° and when i watched the demo (twice, 1st spectating him and second free spec) i saw bullets flying away from aiming and he was saluting when i watched him from outside :|
Thanks given by:
Long story:
ENet is based on UDP, not TCP, which means packets don't always arrive in order; with ever increasing server-side logic required to compensate for the original trust-assumption the cubeengine was built on .. meaning: combat the cheaters .. the effect of LAG has become a real gauge of whether a server or individual player is "fun to play with". The beauty of ENet is that even a dial-up connection, though less "talkative" would be able to take part in the "conversation" .. in cube (cube1) you'd just have to "get used" to a specific jerkiness in that players movements, AC has functions that smoothen (remote-)player-movement though, so that'd not be an aspect you'd have to establish a skill in anymore.
Yet .. LAG ..
The engine still basically assumes the game is local, it just uses the server as a multiplexer to keep all the "local games" (halfways) in synch.

Long story short:
The lagging player may have sent a shot-message that either took "the scenic route" (see UDP above) or is one of the few that got through - but not enough did to stop him from being flagged as lagged ... anyway, that message then gets transmitted to your client and you may take damage from it.

Caveat:
It's been known to have been used as basis for a number of exploits/cheats - a temporary lag shouldn't be cause for complaint, it's the internet after all, but if it occurs repeatedly and/or suspiciously to the benefit of the lagger you might consider mentally flagging that player as a potential cheater .. and take appropriate measures.

Don't Panic!:
This is definitely not meant to encourage a wave of "LAG .. it's a cheater!"-cries - that is not a given, but if in doubt - as always - get the demo and subject it to peer review. You should try to get the IP-address of the player and show the demo to friends and known authorities of the community (try visiting the IRC channel with a file-D/L-URL at the ready).

HTH
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 09:23PM)flowtron Wrote: AC has functions that smoothen (remote-)player-movement

Assuming you're referring to smoothmove and smoothdist,

I'd like to know more about how to use those, as my fiddling around with them didn't produce easily understandable results.
Thanks given by:
If you mean fiddeling with the source you'll have to look at splines; but I guess you just want some pointers as to what turning those two screws will change, right?!?
Well smoothdist is the maximum distance in cubes until which smoothness-functions will be applied, anything beyond 8 cubes (default) will jump. smoothmove does something similar, but based on time, the higher the value the more likely smoothing will take place. The maximum range is 100ms (since last position-packet with smoothmove on) when smoothmove is at 100, of course higher range will also increase the error-margin.
HTH
Thanks given by:
ok yes this problem i've came up with happend during a clan match to be precise.
like i said i have demo and it's clearly how his ping is constantly 80-250 but when that happened every1 got pj over 600 he got ping over 2000 or something like this. but this is how demo shows it
but from how it looked from my end (shooting at him) and what my friend fundog told me (he was the victim of that guys fire), we weren't lagging. we saw eachother moving smoothly as we do during normal gameplay... so as far as i understood it and i see from demo... this might not be "clean"?
Thanks given by:
If more than one person is affected the likelihood that it's actually an exploit is drastically reduced .. near-0 I'd say - but one would have to thoroughly analyze the demo. AFAIK Brahma is still the most accomplished at this.
Thanks given by:
ok thanks :P
i might send it to him
Thanks given by:
iirc he might not be interested in analyzing demos for cheating again. If it is for the anti-cheat that might be a different matter. (just going by what I remember, I cannot speak for him)
Thanks given by:
that is why i wrote MIGHT :P
Thanks given by:
Servers that run on wireless adapters have that happen often. Everything seems normal for a few minutes, maybe even a few games... Then WHAM! Everyone lags, some even drop the connection.

And now for the moral of the story:
Take it away, Flowtron!
Thanks given by:
stop playing wireless, cables are more reliable!
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 11:47PM)flowtron Wrote: stop playing wireless, cables are more reliable!
I'm too poor. Send me some $$$ :D

Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 11, 02:51AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote:
(08 Sep 11, 11:47PM)flowtron Wrote: stop playing wireless, cables are more reliable!
I'm too poor. Send me some $$$ :D
And convince my parents that I won't get viruses on the good computer. :3
Thanks given by:

Just to get this straight: I play on a wireless connection and almost never have issues concerning lagging, if so it's caused by the server I play on. So my connection is very stable and I don't think being on a wireless connection automatically means you have a worse connection than others. I think it's more about the Internet providers and how much they care about maintenance and order (I live in Germany...).

Thanks given by:
Playing, not so horrible.
Hosting a server on wireless is the sin we're talking about (Pretty sure).
Thanks given by: