Error Message
Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v10.0.8
Copywrite (c) 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation
Copywrite (c) 1997-2009 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
No Bootable devise -- insert boot disk and press any key

I have had this problem for a while and was just wanting to confirm my suspicions.
i believe it is my hard drive that has failed me, am i right?
there is also a clicking noise coming from inside it.

Also, will i need a specific hard drive to bring it back to life?
Emachines E442
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
160 GB HDD Hard drive
what more specs do i need?
Thanks given by:
The clicking could be a fan or the HDD.

Did it have a drop or a knock recently?

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
This is what makes me think it might not be failing. I dont know what kind of debug things you can do on a laptop, so I'll let someone else do that.

If your HDD did die, then you will need another to use the laptop. It may be able to get data off of the old one, however dont get your hopes up.
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 06:03PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Did it have a drop or a knock recently?
yeah.
I may have rage punched it. shhhhh.
I am planning to get the data recovered from the old one (hard drive), but as you say, i dont have my hopes up.
Thanks given by:
Before you do anything with the hard drive (always the last resort!), check in the BIOS:
1) if you have network boot enabled (disable it)
2) if the hard drive is listed

If that doesn't help, you could still try booting from CD (Linux recommended ;) ) and see if you can still get into the drive (it might just be the MBR being damaged).
Thanks given by:
i though 'booting' it destoys all your stuff? videos, pics etc...
Thanks given by:
If you boot with a Live Linux CD you can get out (backup) what ever can be saved on your HDD.
SystemRescueCd

*SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of linux software such as system tools (parted, partimage, fstools, ...) and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It requires no installation. It can be used on linux servers, linux desktops or windows boxes. The kernel supports the important file systems (ext2/ext3/ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, btrfs, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs, iso9660), as well as network filesystems (samba and nfs)*
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 06:45PM)MykeGregory Wrote: i though 'booting' it destoys all your stuff? videos, pics etc...
Umm... no, in this context "booting" is what a computer does when it starts up. You might want to have someone who's a little more computer-savvy help you.

But really, check the boot order and the drive listing in the BIOS before you fiddle with any system repair stuff. Or ask someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

EDIT: oh, and before we get into any more elaborate discussion about boot order and disk failures here: make sure the drive is in place and plugged in as it should be, and didn't just get disconnected or something.
Thanks given by:
i'm getting my mate to change the hard drive when i buy a new one. he's good with 'puters!
Thanks given by:
BUMP

So i think that i dont trust myself with all the computer stuff.
i'll just ask my friend to do it.
Thanks for your help guys.
Thanks given by: