Extreme Pixelization
Ive been having this problem that whenever I start the game, the graphics are so pixelized that its hard to make out textures and its impossible to read text/menus. I was in the IRC talking to some of you about this but I figured I would post here for all to see.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1764 (laptop)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz (Dual Core)

RAM: 4 GB

Video Card: Intel HD Graphics (Integrated)

And some screenshots:

[Image: assc20110823124538.png]

[Image: assc20110823124530.png]

[Image: assc20110823124523.png]

[Image: assc20110823124518.png]

Any ideas? Thanks!
Thanks given by:
my guess is that since you have intel chipset, you use only openGL 1.5 because intel doesn't support any higher version...
since you have laptop i don't know what could you do

but i did found this:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-031105.htm

hope it can help you solve the problem
Thanks given by:
This won't remove the problem, but it might help us help you:
Open the console (t), then type (without quotes ofc) "/maxtexsize", hit enter, type "/hwtexsize" and hit enter again. You can't read the output in-game, but in the terminal (the black window that opens together with AC), you should see two lines starting with "maxtexsize =" and "hwtexsize =" (or an error message if you made a typo :P). Post the values here.
Thanks given by:
I had this problem when I use screenres 640 x 480. I fix this by disabling the tilinear filtering.
Try to disable trilinear filtering using this command:
/trilinear 0
Thanks given by:
maxtexsize = 0
hwtexsize = 4096

The trilinear filtering bit did nothing but..well... turn off trilinear filtering. Making it even harder to make out the textures (at distance, of course)
Thanks given by:
Weird. Looks like a driver/OpenGL problem then. Did you try updating the drivers yet?
Thanks given by:
What resolution are you using? This info should be in your config\init.cfg file as scr_w and scr_h.
Thanks given by:
Change the values in the saved.cfg?
Thanks given by:
Did this error occur when you had AssaultCube installed for the very first time; or is it something that's occurred over time?
Thanks given by:
I have seen this before on these forums. I'll search for it
Thanks given by:
If I recall correctly, no satisfactory explanation or solution was reached in that other case.
Thanks given by:
First time ever playing the game. My drivers are up to date.

The resolution/settings are all defualts, Im assuming, as I have not been able to navigate the menus to change anything.
Thanks given by:
Maybe rolling back drivers may help? I have heard that before. New drivers can introduce new bugs.

"The latest IntelĀ® graphics drivers provide support for the OpenGL version 2.1."
Thanks given by:
Interesting. Ive looked all around my program files, and did a windows search on my PC and have been unable to find the saved.cfg or the init.cfg

Its also not in my documents (I chose the installation that did not put files there, and dont worry- I have tried installing with both options.)

Anyway someone mind telling me exactly where they are? Hopefully Im just not seeing them, otherwise that could be a problem..
Thanks given by:
Did you use the search function?
saved.cfg and init.cfg should be in the \config\ folder of the installation, which (installation, probably "AssaultCube 1.1.0.4") sits in either your Documents folder or Program Files.
Just in case they aren't anywhere, may I ask exactly where you downloaded your install from?
Thanks given by:
(24 Aug 11, 01:07AM)V-Man Wrote: Did you use the search function?
saved.cfg and init.cfg should be in the \config\ folder of the installation, which (installation, probably "AssaultCube 1.1.0.4") sits in either your Documents folder or Program Files.
Just in case they aren't anywhere, may I ask exactly where you downloaded your install from?

Yup not there, checked all folders and used search function (For my whole PC and for the Assault Cube folder..)

I downloaded it off this website, from the Download Page...
Thanks given by:
Ok
Boot up ac.
Quit using the menu or typing /quit
Look at the console thing, and make sure that somewhere in that file it says "Wrote to init.cfg" or something like that.

Check within the config folders, and below them.
Do your settings get saved when you boot up AC? Way to test is ingame type "/righthanded 0", quit AC, and then boot it up again. If you see the weapon on the left side of the screen, then it saved your cfg no problems.
Thanks given by:
Ok, we may be getting somewhere.

When I typed /righthanded 0, it switched the gun to the left side. I quit the game and restarted, and the gun was on the right again.

Screenshot of my config folder:

[Image: acconfig.png]
Thanks given by:
Do you have full write privileges? (not default on Vista/Win7)
Thanks given by:
That would explain the no init.cfg.
Would not explain the pixelization.
Thanks given by:
I am the admin on my PC, but attempting to run the shortcut as Admin causes it to not run at all.
Thanks given by:
Perhaps, if there is no write privilege at all, AC loads with a null default that looks all pixelly?
[/shot-in-the-dark]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like that could be true, but heck, at this point Im pretty close to just giving up considering the aparent uniqueness of this problem.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't call it unique, but (if you can't convince Win7 that you actually deserve write privileges, and that actually is the problem) it certainly is a challenge beyond the current help. ;_; sorry dude.
Thanks given by:
You should look for a folder called "AssaultCube_v1.1" within "My Documents" or whatever it's called. See if that exists. Oh, and while you're at it, just post the entire terminal output here. (Just start AC and quit again, nothing else needed).
Thanks given by:
Searching through the net, it seems your particular laptop is susceptible to all sorts of crappy graphics issues (though I couldn't tell if your current issue is related). The only solutions they seemed to provide was:

a) Update your BIOS.
b) Send your laptop back to have an ATi graphics card installed (that's even possible?!?)

If I ever buy laptops, I always steer clear of Intel based graphics. You get what you pay for (although nVidia is a popular chipset, I myself prefer ATi).

Just in case it is AssaultCube itself though, open ./config/autoexec.cfg with notepad and add the following code into it:
alias gfxqualityalias 5
new_gfx_quality 5
scr_w 800
scr_h 600
vsync 1

Once that code is pasted into that file, save it and open AssaultCube. If this doesn't work, go into your computers graphics settings, turn everything way down low (or off if possible) and turn vsync on (you'd be amazed how often vsync can help those with crappy video cards - on good cards, it's a hindrance).
Thanks given by:
I will try that.

My Bios are up to date, and I doubt thats possible, buts it not worth it if it is.

I know it has crappy graphics but I do a lot of gaming on it believe it or not without a hitch.
Thanks given by:
Also, check if your card has "adaptive anti-aliasing" (specifically the adaptive part, as all good cards should be able to do normal anti-aliasing anyway) and turn it off.

Also check for anything that does "special stuff" to "optimize" graphics and turn these off (example, for myself, I turn off "Catalyst A.I." (ATi specific)), it's common for these things, that take a few shortcuts, to end up causing more harm than good.

Also, just for good measure, if all this fails, go into your windows graphics settings, change resolution to 800x600 and colour depth to 16bit (high colour). This probably won't do anything, but with really crappy cards, you never know.
Thanks given by:
Problem solved, changed my video cards actuall settings from "Performance" to "Quality". Realized this was the issue after having the same problem in some other games like Tremulous.

Must have turned the properties down to play the BF2 mod Project Reality, and never changed them back...

Anyway thanks for the help guys!
Thanks given by:
When i bough my new computer (1 month ago) i had a res problem too. I called jamz to help me about and he said to add something (to "force" a resolution i think) like this lines (scr_w 800
scr_h 600) somewhere (don't remember exactly where... but i edited something).
It wasn't the problem, it came from the graphic card.
Thanks given by: