Gun Flash but no hits? (Second Case)
Hi all.

I've been trying to get AC running on my Acer Aspire 3000, and I'm coming across the exact same problem as this guy here:

http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2661.html

It's using the same IGP (SiS 760) and I've tried all the solutions given in the FAQ, from updating my drivers (which is already at its latest version), to changing the resolution. Neither has worked.

I'm also running 1.1.0.4 with Win XP SP3 x86, if that helps at all.

Thanks. :)

Thanks given by:
The fact that AC uses OpenGL for hit calculation really hurts my soul....
Just to be sure, what is the driver version for your graphics driver? I see CNET has version 6.14.10.3653 available (http://download.cnet.com/SiS-M760GX/3000...79301.html)
Thanks given by:
At the moment I've got 6.14.0010.3564 installed, which I grabbed from their main support page.

http://w3.sis.com/download/

Latest update was in 2010-12-13.
Thanks given by:
Quick fix is to adjust your resolution until it works

source: RandumKiwi
Thanks given by:
(04 Aug 11, 10:57PM)Zarj Wrote: The fact that AC uses OpenGL for hit calculation really hurts my soul....

AFAIK, AC uses the hitscan technique which is quite common and efficient among first person shooters.
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 11, 01:09AM)Gibstick Wrote: Quick fix is to adjust your resolution until it works

source: RandumKiwi

I've tried every conceivable resolution under the aspect ratio 4:3.

800x600 fixed the problem temporarily, but it starts up again after 30secs of running around. :(
Thanks given by:
This happened to me in 1.0 idk why but most of the times the command /resetgl did the work, but you can always reinstall AC and see what happens :)
Thanks given by:
(05 Aug 11, 01:25AM)Bukz Wrote: AFAIK, AC uses the hitscan technique which is quite common and efficient among first person shooters.

It measures pixel depth via OpenGL to determine the distance to the closest geometry, then scans along the shotline, up to that distance, for players to hit, and instantly damages them ("hitscan"). So if the first (OpenGL) test fails (i.e. returns 0 distance), you can't hit any players.

Yes, this is awful, and it's easy to fix, but you couldn't shoot through fences and stuff any more.
Thanks given by:
I get that To all the time.
Thanks given by:

Poor toto, i think he didn't understand.
Thanks given by:
I used to get a problem with this on linux and found that firing a few clips off with the pistol at the start of the game would often fix it. Not a great solution.
Thanks given by:
i also experience the same problem from time to time.... restarting ac seems to fix the problem
Thanks given by:
Have you tried downgrading your drivers?
Thanks given by:
(08 Aug 11, 02:19AM)Gibstick Wrote: Have you tried downgrading your drivers?

Yep.

I remember trying AC on the laptop back in late 2009, and I had the same issue. I wasn't too bothered though, since it didn't belong to me at the time.
Thanks given by:
You can try ac portable.
Thanks given by:
(08 Aug 11, 02:40AM)gambino Wrote: You can try ac portable.

Yeah, I normally have a copy of AC portable from PortableApps.com on my USB flash pen.

I gave that a go and nothing really changed. :(
Thanks given by:
There is another "problem" (if we can call it as a problem...).
Maybe devs already know that.
When you shot trought a fence, the hit depends of your aim (your crosshair).
If the crosshair is on the fence post, the bullet will be stoped, and if the crosshaire isn't looking the fence (or the midle of your crosshair isn't on the fence) the bullet trought the fence.
The hit didn't depends of spray.
And ofc the hit is calculated by the graphic card. lol
Thanks given by: