How to edit characters to new ones
How can I edit the low poly crapy (JK) characters. I can do it with guns but how can I change the characters to my own.just the model. not animation yeat...
Thanks given by:
Was just about to post a thread about this. Also want to know.
Thanks given by:
If you are talking about making a custom playermodel, it is not easy, just ask aCKa|Killer. :P

The default playermodel is low-poly because, AC is meant to run on old, low end computers. You can edit it with any 3D modeling program, but unless if you make one from scratch I doubt you'll have a better result than the current default playermodel.

Animation of the playermodel is the hardest part, getting joints to deform properly during animation is very difficult, but if you are good with Blender, MilkShape, etc. you should be able to get *something* working.

Google tutorials on how to make low-poly animated characters with your preferred 3D modeling program, you should be able to find something that will help.
Thanks given by:
Cactus and I, are actually wanting to make "Clan Skins", not a whole new playermodel.
Actually, i was wondering if anyone could help us.
A silver and white skin, with Xu on the front and Exile Unit across the upper back?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jul 10, 04:48AM)Bukz Wrote: If you are talking about making a custom playermodel, it is not easy, just ask aCKa|Killer. :P

The default playermodel is low-poly because, AC is meant to run on old, low end computers. You can edit it with any 3D modeling program, but unless if you make one from scratch I doubt you'll have a better result than the current default playermodel.

Animation of the playermodel is the hardest part, getting joints to deform properly during animation is very difficult, but if you are good with Blender, MilkShape, etc. you should be able to get *something* working.

Google tutorials on how to make low-poly animated characters with your preferred 3D modeling program, you should be able to find something that will help.

Thanks for the reply Bukz. We are trying to re-skin the current player models. Is this easy, and what should we use?
Thanks given by:
LOL. 2 mins faster. Cactus look above.
Thanks given by:
If you're just doing some reskinning that is a lot easier, just get some kind of computer graphics program such as photoshop or GIMP. You should already have some kind of knowledge of how to use these programs before trying. If you don't know how to use them read their documentations, and google tutorials about skinning 3D models with them.

You'll probably still want a 3D modeling program so you can work with the UV mapping of the model, but you could also reference from this thread (thanks GeneralDisarray :D) about what peices of the skin wrap around what areas of the model.

I suggest the latter (GIMP) because it is both free and opensource, just like AC. :)
Thanks given by:
I have GIMP.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jul 10, 04:43AM)F1rst16 Wrote: How can I edit the low poly crapy (JK) characters. I can do it with guns but how can I change the characters to my own.just the model. not animation yeat...

You wouldn't come around animating it after modifications have been done completetly from scratch, because the supported .md2 and .md3 model formats have frame animations...
Thanks given by:
If you want to make new skins, you can start with these templates I puked up.
http://des-bukz.co.cc/files/Blank_Templates.zip
Thanks given by:
(13 Jul 10, 09:10AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote:
(13 Jul 10, 04:43AM)F1rst16 Wrote: How can I edit the low poly crapy (JK) characters. I can do it with guns but how can I change the characters to my own.just the model. not animation yeat...

You wouldn't come around animating it after modifications have been done completetly from scratch, because the supported .md2 and .md3 model formats have frame animations...
Yea I was trying to do something by testing it out, like I just took the players chest and moved it out we-rd just as a test. Then in the game the characters body is all brocken up as in his chest was missing and stuff.Then I tried exporting as .md3 then it worked but no animation in the game. In my program the animations import as shape keys, as in animation in edit mode. vertexes and face select mode and stuff like that.
Thanks given by:
Thanks V-Man.
Thanks given by:
Ah right, I nearly forgot about the playermodel I'm supposed to be working on ... :| I'm kinda busy right now though, with both my assignments and my own project ...

Currently what I do is handle most of the work in Blender and export the files to .md2 when needed. md3 is very troublesome and hardly worth the headache it currently causes me. :) I'd rather wait for md5 to be supported.

Anyways, there are a few tutorials showing you how to create md2 models in Quake II. Just follow that and you'll be fine most of the way. In fact, the current player model was originally made for Quake II.
Thanks given by:
V-Man, that link doesn't to go to a download page... you sure it's the right one?

EDIT: Figured it out. Dunno what happened, all good now. Cheers man!
Thanks given by:
I downloaded them. Come on IRC.
Thanks given by: