noob dun good?
So I'm new to AC and rusty as hell on level design, nothing since Build (I got some chewing gum and quit kicking ass). I've made a level that probably contains every dumb mistake out there but was popular with the people I tested it on (and I didn't even know or pay them).

The main problem with it at the moment is stuttering. It's a nautical map with two small ships as bases. I found that I couldn't designate dry areas below the waterline so I had to push the water level unrealistically far down the sides of the ships leaving the sea bed much further down than I'd planned with only just enough water to cover your head. This ate so much space that I had to bring the ceiling down to compensate. I'm working on sculpting it to reduce unnecessary space and headbanging at the moment.

I've read the reference several times and I've been scouring the forum for hints but I've come up blank. First the long shot: Is it possible to have air below the water line? That would solve about everything. Second, how on earth does headshotcity run if this much space is a problem? I know HSC was pre 1.1 (I've read the row over the restrictions) but I can't figure out how it is even possible since it's a lot more intricate and open than my level.

Your advice would be appreciated, criticism welcome. I'm quite taken with this engine and I think I'll try for some more maps, I'd like this one to work though.

p.s. I just noticed that I'd flubbed the maprot.cfg so if you're one of the people who played it after I left, that was an earlier version and ugly as satan's hemorrhoids. Sorry about that.
Thanks given by:
*Insert witty yet irrelevent criticism here*

i cant help, but good luck!
Thanks given by:
Upload your map somewhere and link to it here so we can check it out.

To answer some preliminary questions:

The AC engine is designed so that everything below the "waterlevel" is underwater, period. Anything more fancy than that and it'd require a "non-catering-to-low-end-machines" AC.

If there is a headshotcity remake for 1.1, it only functions because the average ceiling height was somehow dragged low enough by compensating with ridiculously low ceilings in places that don't matter so much. You can try that with your map, but beware of the restriction barring too much non-solid space!
Without looking at it yet, I predict that your best bet is to minimize the part of the map that is underwater and keep it focused on the ships.
Thanks given by:
The "new" HSC contains quite a few solid walls and AFAICT not that much open space. 10000 cubes is quite a lot of area.
No, you can't have air below the water level. That would be good, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible with the Cube engine.
Could you upload the map to a file hosting site or name the map and some servers that it is on so we can see it?
Thanks given by:
post some screen shots of your problems. No you cannot have "AIR" below the water line, the water line is a set line and is the same line across the entire map.

Thanks given by:
Hey, did we answer the question about the waterlevel yet?
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure, therefore: No, you can't have air below the waterlevel. ;)

...and to repeat another phrase from above, it would be nice if you uploaded it somewhere (akimbo, quadropolis), so we can check it out in an instant! :)
Thanks given by:
I remember a 0.93 map with ships. I remember it being nice, would probably means it wasn't since I was, and still am, crap at spotting good maps. It was the first time I played with Mr MorganKell. ;D

EDIT:
@Cheesemonster, was build that map with 3 big blocks on either side and the large amount of water in the middle? I LOVED THAT MAP <3
It was sooo good for fast, crazy newb fun on TOSOK :D
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 10:29AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: uploaded it somewhere (akimbo, quadropolis), so we can check it out in an instant! :)

Quote:tempest said: DON'T upload draft maps, especially such that don't meet the requirements, to these sites. Use a file uploading service such as MediaFire.

Thanks given by:
I can probably tell you one problem. . . are you making solid walls using the F key? If not, then that's your problem. That was my problem for quite a while. . .

Wait, did you say it ran online?
Thanks given by:
@Frogulis, Tempest:

Akimbo has a "beta" section for maps being in the making and you can select from various development-status options on Quadropolis as well. ;)
Thanks given by:
@Cheesemonster: Your writing style is friggin' awesome. It's like a British scripter mixed with a little MK. Beautiful <3
[/offtopic]
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 06:09PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Akimbo has a "beta" section for maps being in the making and you can select from various development-status options on Quadropolis as well. ;)
I must admit I didn't really know for Akimbo (thanks for the info), but from what I've seen on Quadro, most people there are really picky. But maybe that's only because people categorize their 'alpha' nodes as 'stable' :P

Thanks given by:
The map's uploaded to Akimbo. woot.

http://www.akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php...2896#p2896

(28 Mar 11, 01:13PM)Mikey Wrote: I can probably tell you one problem. . . are you making solid walls using the F key? If not, then that's your problem. That was my problem for quite a while. . .

Wait, did you say it ran online?

For some reason F didn't do anything so I designated them as solid 1. I think this is the same thing.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 11, 05:03AM)Cheesemonster Wrote: For some reason F didn't do anything so I designated them as solid 1. I think this is the same thing.

Yep!
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 07:24AM)V-Man Wrote: Hey, did we answer the question about the waterlevel yet?

lol when i posted mine, it didnt show that anyone had posted anything.
Thanks given by:
Same same. Somehow you, V-Man and I managed to post almost at the same time :S
We're all just HTH I guess.

ADDED: Yes, the map does work in multiplayer. Just found the On Desk testing server ;)
Unfortunately my ping was rather low :(
Nice map though!
Thanks given by:
I guess you three dun good. :D
Thanks given by:
I've made a first draft of the flooded engine room plan. I've started on sculpting a fake sea for that one but damn those heightfields are confusing. : /

http://www.akimbo.in/files/index.php?act=view&id=839
Thanks given by:
Oooh, make sure you clip the gas tank in the engine room!
Thanks given by:
Jumped into the test server by chance. The map looks great. The main problem was the fps, I was around 25(normally 70-100) and another guy in the room said he was at 15. And there was no lag going on for either. (and to make sure I started a game on one of my maps and yeah better fps...)
If you can fix that up, it'll look good and (hopefully) play good ;)
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 11, 08:10AM)Cheesemonster Wrote: I've made a first draft of the flooded engine room plan. I've started on sculpting a fake sea for that one but damn those heightfields are confusing. : /

http://www.akimbo.in/files/index.php?act=view&id=839

press K on the angled parts of the boat, the jagged parts, to smooth them out.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 09:38PM)Joe Smith Wrote: press K on the angled parts of the boat, the jagged parts, to smooth them out.
The corner and heightfield controls have me confused, I suspect I may have stuffed up the bindings somehow. I can't seem to rotate them so many of those rough edges used to be corners but the corresponding one on the other side cut in the wrong diagonal and made for a headachey graphical glitch. I've only been able to make heightfields with the /slope command, the Q thing doesn't seem to be working. I suspect this is connected to however I managed to unbind F as /solid 1.

I've been a bit quiet for a few days, the next version is in the making. The lower deck has been removed and the textures and mapmodels reduced. Once I've got the sky sorted there should be a new test server up. It may be a while though because I'm taking a couple of weeks to help my girlfriend move. I know no one's on tenterhooks waiting for ondeck but I'd hate for y'all to think I'd given up so easily. :)

Thanks given by:
Cheesemonster: /resetbinds if you want to wipe your bind customizations and start anew.
Thanks given by:
Looks Like A good map! ill have to try it out! well done (for a noob)!
Thanks given by: