Post a screenshot of what you are doing (modding related).
(27 Mar 11, 10:48PM)Viper Wrote:
(27 Mar 11, 08:21PM)Joe Smith Wrote: i dont see why this couldnt one day be replaced with the current model in AC

This probably won't ever happen, although i would like it, because AC is supposed to be a game that runs on low-spec systems. Thus the textures in AC are not HD like these skins. Look at the contrast of the textures and that skin in his pic, thats why.

I'm glad people make hi-res reskins though. It's cool to see what AC could look like.
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty much done with the basic RVSF skins, maybe I'll do the CLA in the next few days.

Thoughts?
[Image: cHxYl.jpg]

Is there anyway to spawn a bot in game and make him stand still with a specific skin? I'm having a hard time testing the skins in-game.
Thanks given by:
Epic friggin' win. Post how you did it for bonus points ;)
Thanks given by:
I took the original skin, made it 2x bigger. Outlined all the sections in the photoshop, then began painting with airbrush, adding highlights and shadows as I went and using the original as the basis. Combination of airbrush and smudge tool. Once I had the basic skin down, I generated some camouflage textures in Filter Forge and laid them down as soft light on top of the parts I wanted to have camo. For rendering I used 3dmax.

Here is an in-game test, the second pic is a camo I didn't like so scrapped it. AC is a fast game so it's difficult to look at the details of the skin.
[Image: 4WqCQ.jpg]

In case anyone is wondering if these re-textures will slow down the game, they won't.

The skins are only 640x400 saved as JPEG at 85% quality, file size range from 37KB to 70KB.
The default are 320x200, 20KB-44KB
In comparison the default helmet pickup is 50KB.
Thanks given by:
They look great. As you mentioned, the game is fast paced and you really don't notice the current skins. They just give a general feel of clothing.

Edit: I'd really like to try these out whenever you release them.
Thanks given by:
I'll release sometime this week, still need do the CLA skins and some more in-game testing.
Thanks given by:
Awesome! But does it have to be 85%? Are the default skins 85% jpeg quality?

who cares they'll be dead by the time I notice
Thanks given by:
I can't tell a noticeable difference between 100% and 80%. The original skins are still using quake2 colors.

Anyways here is another quick update, started working on the CLA and the right one is police skin I was tweaking.

[Image: mYqkA.jpg]
[Image: cXV4z.jpg]
Notice the CLA vest has no pockets, still planning to add all the rips to the pants and tweak textures.
Thanks given by:
Protox, /idlebots is the command I think.
Thanks given by:
I'll look into it thanks.

EDIT: Alright I have released the high quality skins here -> http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2697.html
Thanks given by:
Very nice looking protox.
Thanks given by:
They look great True to the originals, just smoother and more decate. :). I am tempted to add them to the game, maybe with an option to downsize as needed.

By the way, protox, file size or jpg quality has no impact on performance.
A 5kb,256², 10% jpg will have the same performance than a 1,5mb 256² tiff, because a pixel is a pixel once it's in the gfx card's memory. Only load time might differ.

Jpg quality is simply a matter of filesize. Most original ac stuff uses 90%. (Imho the best ratio - no artifacts, yet reasonable size).
Thanks given by:
I didn't realize that, good to know. If they make it to the game that would be great, I'm planning to release the source PSD files a bit later.

EDIT:
Source Files (For Modifying/Generating New Skins)
UPDATE (10:30 EST March 29, 2011): I have included all the skins in JPEG at 90% and high quality PNG formats, found in JPEG & PNG folder.
Download from DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
Can someone rescale this so that the dimensions are powers of 2? Preferrably 512x512 - quite enough detail imho; 640x400 uses less than 49% of 1024x512 it has to be mounted on, which apart from the waste of video memory (enough for two 256x256 textures), is also a fairly noticeable hit on lower end graphics cads/chipsets, especially close up (the double whammy of high res rasterisation and high res texture). Yes I realise aspect ratio would be changed but I don't see that being a significant (or even noticeable) issue, especially compared to ye oldde 320x200.
Thanks given by:
The skins would not fit properly if you rescale to a different aspect ratio, you would need to reskin the base skin to make everything fit and it would be difficult to skin because the skin's aspect ratio looks very stretched under 512x512 resolution. It would be much easier to downsize back to 320x200 for people with very low end systems. But if you want you can give it a go, I have released the PSD files, it would take some work but it's possible to recreate everything.

Here is an example of what happens when you resize from 640x400 to 512x512. Just one example of a minor issue with resizing to a different aspect ratio.
[Image: 0iQWE.jpg]
Thanks given by:
wth is that?
Thanks given by:
That's the top of the head of the model, showing a minor misalignment of the skin when aspect ratio is changed. Under normal conditions the line would be continuous. My point is that there will be minor glitches if the skin ratio is touched.
Thanks given by:
I have to idea how to mod ...
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 11, 10:57AM)protox Wrote: Post a screenshot of your work in progress, anything related to modding/mapping/editing/designing or any other form of content creation you are working on.

Meh, still working on this shit. No idea when it will be finished.

[Image: acmmw.png]
Thanks given by:
The only way to properly use a n² skin would be a reskin.
You'd need to find someone who someone is willing to do it in q2modeller (wich would be extremely tedious to get a halfway descent uv-layout by modern standarts).
Another possibility would be to re-do the uv's, but then you'd have to redo all animations - again not really worth it.
Thanks given by:
Elven, you don't have to worry about, this just a technical discussion. GeneralDisarray is right about the power of 2 rule and I was aware of it, but the problem has to do with the initial skins not following that rule.

I don't think it is a significant issue however because even games like Quake2 never followed this rule, the skin dimensions were 284x195.

If someone wants to test my skins versus original in some type of time demo that would be interesting, I suspect the performance is insignificant.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 12:18AM)Mael Wrote:
(26 Mar 11, 10:57AM)protox Wrote: Post a screenshot of your work in progress, anything related to modding/mapping/editing/designing or any other form of content creation you are working on.

Meh, still working on this shit. No idea when it will be finished.

[Image: acmmw.png]

What would this be?
Thanks given by:
I believe Mael is working on a special modeller for AssaultCube.
Thanks given by:
Mael that looks interesting. Can you gives us more information? Does it use models or cubes to make map objects?
Thanks given by:
I do remember him talking about a special "cube" unit, which would be the length of a cube in AC. But damn he won't share.
Thanks given by:
[Image: actetris.jpg]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGlHrud9xs
Thanks given by:
protox Wrote:Elven, you don't have to worry about, this just a technical discussion. GeneralDisarray is right about the power of 2 rule and I was aware of it, but the problem has to do with the initial skins not following that rule.
Indeed and I wasn't even sure if the license would permit this - coordinates are in the md2 (format spec)... which neatly leads back to the issue - since md2 texcoords are integers in absolute space rather than relative (0.0 - 1.0), by rescaling I meant adjusting the ST array, not just the image as well.

Doing this manually is obviously error prone, time consuming and dehumanising, so my question really was does anyone have an md2 tool capable of this really trivial operation? After all, it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where you're skinning a model and halfway through you realise you want to go up or down in size...

protox Wrote:I don't think it is a significant issue however because even games like Quake2 never followed this rule, the skin dimensions were 284x195.
Male model only, female and cyborg used 252 and 260, to be precise :) There are many small technical reasons for this - Q2 wasn't an OpenGL-only game; vertical dimension doesn't matter on non-tiled maps; custom software renderer means you can precompute row addresses rather than "wrap" coordinates, making horizontal res irrelevant as well, etc - and in any case, since the most popular 3d card at the time was Voodoo which only supported up to 256x256, they were downscaled IIRC.

makkE Wrote:Another possibility would be to re-do the uv's, but then you'd have to redo all animations - again not really worth it.
Nope, there's only a single texture (absolute) coord array - and luckily, AC doesn't use it: only the precompiled GL command arrays are used, which use "proper" relative texture coordinates :) In fact this makes it possible that simple image rescale might work despite looking wrong in an editor...
Thanks given by:
Flags:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4869/rvsf2.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9044/25735415.jpg
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/1613/cla2.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9066/clav.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7554/adfi.jpg

And a pseudo-wrestling-cage LSS arena :D
[Image: wrestle.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 07:36AM)V-Man Wrote: [Image: actetris.jpg]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGlHrud9xs

I've take a look at the video, and it's AMAZING. Where can I download the scripts ? =D
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 11, 12:58AM)protox Wrote: Mael that looks interesting. Can you gives us more information? Does it use models or cubes to make map objects?

It is a modeling program meant for making mapmodels, not maps. Therefore it is a standard modeler but I am tailoring it specifically for AC.

Each grid line in that screenshot is equivalent to one cube in AC map space. So if you make a model that is 4x4x4 units in my program, it will be 4x4x4 cubes in AC, thereby eliminating any need for the mdlscale function(Which is already fairly useless; if you're intelligent enough to make a model, you're intelligent enough to scale it properly) and removing a certain exploit that allows you to cheat without modifying the source.

It's also an excellent C++/OpenGL learning process.

I had plans to make an external map editor just for further practice and my personal use. I'm accustomed to drawing plans on paper from the top down so AC's editor placing me inside my creation fucks with my head.
Thanks given by: