Alternate Akimbo [Discussion]
So I was suggested (if sarcastically) that if I don't like the status of Akimbo, to make my own. Well I took that seriously, and I intend on trying to set up a media upload site like akimbo, for AC modders and mappers.

So far I've hit some snags. One, I know very little about web development and am currently trying to speak with some online friends who might be able to help me out. Two, I only have 150 bucks to put toward it. And it appears that it'll cost about 500 buck a year. . . *yikes*. . .

So currently I'm weighing the pros and cons. Would enough people support this site to make it worth putting the time, effort, and money (especially money) into?

Would people be willing to donate to the cause? (even a dollar is helpful)

Are enough people interested in modding and mapping who would upload?

Please help me out. I'm seriously considering shutting this down before starting.

[Also, a project name would be helpful, can't keep calling it alternate akimbo]
Thanks given by:
Honestly I don't see any specific reason. If you truly want to you can find free webhosts- but that may not give you enough resources. Software is free and easy to use.

You can check out these which are inexpensive and highly reviewed.
Domain.com - $64.17 for a year and get a free domain with coupon code DOMFREE
Domain.com - $5.75 per month and get a domain from co.cc or similar site
HostingCove - $70.00 or a year and get a free domain
HostingCove - $7.00 per month and get a domain from co.cc or similar site

I've used both and can say they are good. Ronald_Reagan currently uses HostingCove.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, if you talk to him, he can give you a "referrer link" which you can sign up with and he'll get some credit towards his account.

EDIT: EDIT: HostingCove allows you to upgrade if you need more resources; that package may not fit your needs but would be a good one while you're seeing if the site will get going.
Thanks given by:
I suggest a nice tounge-in-cheek parody -esque name like "Kevlar"

Or something more professional, most likely with the word "Vault" appended to it.
Thanks given by:
There are plenty of similar hosting places available without having to spend money on making a new one.
quadropolis
akimbo
billybob :D
Ronald Reagan's script wiki
Thanks given by:
I do really want to give this a shot, thanks for the concern.

Thanks for the links, really helpful :)

Thanks given by:
Well mikey the immediate problem that I can see is the funding. As with the HI-SKILL ladder which Drakas ran, it seems apparent that while many many people would like to use the resource, many cannot fund due to monetary reasons (being a teenager, having next to no money right outta college etc.). With the ladder much less than 350$ was needed and it still never happened. Secondly, how much hosting will you get? If you want to host all those files you might need something bigger/outside hosting.

Simply:

You will probably not see a lot of financial help, but im sure tons of people will offer to help with the tech setup, and don't worry about not having enough mappers/mods. You might max out on hosting space if a_slow_old_man finds out. :P

edit: Something simple like acmedia.com would seem the best IMO because just seeing the words akimbo and quadropolis on the forums doesnt exactly convey the point to newbies.
Thanks given by:
ACMedia is a good name, but sounds too "commercial", IMHO.

Try something simple yet effective, like AC Warehouse, or why not, AC Depot :D
Thanks given by:
^ :) YES.
Thanks given by:
i wouldn't try this, as people will no want to upload the same mod to several sites, akimbo has been the go to upload site for a long time, although it could use some tweaking, it works and i believe people will just stick with it. the main prob you will have, if you actually do make a new one would be converting people to use it. AC players do not like new things ( its just how it is ) they like to stick with old ways, and theres a small chance they will ever use yours.

I to i have thought about a new akimbo and actually have a really nice setup in place, as i know alot about web design and web applications, along with all the funding i could possibly use. What struck me into halting the project was in fact what i mentioned above, getting AC players to use it and getting akimbo taken down once mine would be up. Akimbo would have to be taken down once yours was all finalized. AC people dont flock to new things unless the old one have been taken down.

But GL.
Thanks given by:
Though i know im new to this and my opinion probably doesnt matter, names shouldnt be the main concern at this point. Funding is a big issue so try to think of ways you can obtain enough money to keep the hosting up. Calculate how much it will cost each month for everything you need, then determine how to reach your calculated amount. Once thats firgured out, put it to action and save up enough for a couple months of the service. Last thing to do is layouts and the name. I probably already stated the obvious but i remember when i ran sites with some friends, and because we didnt follow this instruction, we failed after a couple months.
Thanks given by:
I think you will run into problems getting media on the site.
"Every" AC player knows about quadropolis and akimbo and thats the place i look for stuff (maps).
Arent they there, why should i bother to research more to get maps so i could add on server?

Just saying.

Maybe thats just me, but its my server to so...
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I see all of your points.

@ Yahtzee: I know, but I figures putting the name option up there would get a few more people to post their opinions.

@Viper: Thank mate :)

@Joe: I see what you mean. . . That could be a huge problem. . .well. . . I'll go through with a smaller part of the plan, like a bronze format, that way I only waste 50 bucks for hosting instead of 100 or more.

@OpenSource: Hrm. . . I'd need some publicity :/
Thanks given by:
Don't put money into it :(
Thanks given by:
for publicity, simply advertise here or on irc. Get ahold of some respected modders/mappers and get them to start usin it. Popularity is the best form of peer pressure.
Thanks given by:
But do be careful with your add.
Look at the rules for for this forum.
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-1300.html
4. Do not use the forum to promote your business/product/service/website/ (i.e. spam) unless it is somehow related to AssaultCube.

I do see that a place hosting modes/maps/what ever can most likely be AC related, just saying.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Sounds cool bro. Though I wouldn';t know much about hosting issues or any of that, nor did I bother to read most of the previous posts. But I know as a mapper. It'd be nice to have more than two sites for this kinda stuff.
Thanks given by:
I've been trying to do something like this for quite some time now, so I'm mostly playing off of wanting to learn how to do this :)

I won't break any rules advertising :o
Thanks given by:
When Akimbo was down a couple of weeks ago, Rytis (the host of the site, for those who don't know) came onto IRC, explained that he'd had some problems recently, and stated that the site would be back up for one month. I understood from this that he had, out of respect, given the administrators of the site one month to archive it and create an alternative, before it disappears forever. Was I wrong in this assumption? Does any Akimbo admin know different?
Thanks given by:
O_o Would've been nice if that word had been spread around more earnestly.
* V-Man backs up all Akimbo files ... again
Thanks given by:
That surprises me... and it doesn't at the same time.

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of work being put into it. (I remember how long it took for the DNS records to be correctly filled out, even though multiple threads were made here that had replies telling what needed to be done.) If he couldn't handle the problems why not let a group of the mods there take over?
Thanks given by:
(26 Mar 11, 07:50PM)V-Man Wrote: * V-Man backs up all Akimbo files ... again

Please do, I'd hate to see everything on akimbo go to waste, perhaps an admin (or multiple admins) of akimbo should get together and discuss possibly making a new website.
Thanks given by:
I may be able to got hosting for a new site, but I wouldn't count on it. I think all of my webhosts-who-owe-me-favors have paid up lol.
Thanks given by:
the site does not have to be taken down, i already pmed mr.floppy, as i do now have contact with the actual owner. My web host has more than enough to host akimbo and my site also, with the package i have i can host as many websites as i want with their own domain, on the same host. If Rytis lets go of wanting to host akimbo, it can be hosted with the same domain, on my host, and floppy would be in charge of akimbo.
Thanks given by:
Hooray! I kind of hope that you use a different software if you do host it. phBB is sloppy.
Thanks given by:
idrc, as long as I have somewhere that isn't cluttered with Sauer crap to post my maps.
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 04:23AM)Elven Wrote: ...somewhere that isn't cluttered with Sauer crap to post my maps.

F1
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 03:09AM)Joe Smith Wrote: the site does not have to be taken down, i already pmed mr.floppy, as i do now have contact with the actual owner. My web host has more than enough to host akimbo and my site also, with the package i have i can host as many websites as i want with their own domain, on the same host. If Rytis lets go of wanting to host akimbo, it can be hosted with the same domain, on my host, and floppy would be in charge of akimbo.

I think this is the brightest and most productive solution so far. Please yes do that. You'll be my hero!

Mikey, jump in on this one. That's where your efforts will be best applied, IMO.
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 06:47AM)V-Man Wrote:
(28 Mar 11, 03:09AM)Joe Smith Wrote: the site does not have to be taken down, i already pmed mr.floppy, as i do now have contact with the actual owner. My web host has more than enough to host akimbo and my site also, with the package i have i can host as many websites as i want with their own domain, on the same host. If Rytis lets go of wanting to host akimbo, it can be hosted with the same domain, on my host, and floppy would be in charge of akimbo.

I think this is the brightest and most productive solution so far. Please yes do that. You'll be my hero!

I need to hear from floppy, or rytis cuz there would be files that would need to be moved, the php files and the database data.
Thanks given by:
And host it on a free domain maybe? I dont care for those pretty .com's or .in's. Too much trouble.
* Ronald_Reagan knows of course that Joe Smith will hear none of that.
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 11, 08:22PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: And host it on a free domain maybe? I dont care for those pretty .com's or .in's. Too much trouble.
* Ronald_Reagan knows of course that Joe Smith will hear none of that.

Free domains dont allow you to be able to do certain things that you may want or need on a payed host. Also the space on a free hose is great for a website that is just a simple website and forum. For media you need greater space.

this is the package that is used for my hosting and that can also be used for akimbo hosting http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971

i use the deluxe package, and has plenty of dataspace and virtual space for akimbo, among other nice features. Since i pay for it there will be no need in others to have to give.

One day ill upgrade to the last one ultimate, i have alot of projects i would like to do for AC, and will one day get to those.
Thanks given by: