"We're not accepting registrations from your ISP/email"
Lately, it seems like many people are getting this problem. We try to help them in #assaultcube, but there's no definitive solution, and it doesn't make sense (they can't all be forum spammers!). Changing email providers sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

As well, I just tried registering with the exact same email ([email protected]) I used for this account, and instead of giving me a message about my email being in use, I got

Quote:Your registration has been blocked because of high amounts of spam from your IP and/or email address.

Now I may be partially guilty, but it feels like everyone is being blocked. I then tried with gmail and registration worked. However, Waffles, who has been trying to register, was still unable to after trying a gmail address. What is going on?
Thanks given by:
That message would make sense from my perspective. u_u
Thanks given by:
I may be the reason why gmail is blocked.
Thanks given by:
Instead of banning mail providers someone should install http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb plugin. It checks the registering ip against known spammers and wont let them register if the ip is known.

I use it on my forum and i get very few spammers registering.
Thanks given by:
The email ban list hasn't been triggered since late December, so it's not that. It only covers anonymous and known-bad providers anyway.
The disallowed username list hasn't been triggered for even longer, so it's not that.
There is a list of IP bans, but this list is targeted at IPs and IP ranges which are used in spambot registrations. It's a relatively short list and all ranges added to it are checked against current forum users and player connections in-game to eliminate disruption to valid accounts. This list is triggered much more frequently, but I'd need IP address specifics to say if this is the problem. The IP address that Waffles has been playing from recently (if that's the one he tried registering from) is not in this list.
Billybob: The forums do have an anti-spam provision, but I don't know where or if this logs denied registrations; RK or flowtron will have to look at this.
Thanks given by:
(02 Mar 11, 11:10AM)jamz Wrote: The IP address that Waffles has been playing from recently (if that's the one he tried registering from) is not in this list.

I forgot to say, Waffles got the message (paraphrased) "Not accepting registrations from your ISP" while I got "Your registration has been blocked because of high amounts of spam from your IP and/or email address". There's a difference? What's preventing me from registering then?
Thanks given by:
There is a limit to how many accounts can be registered on an email account I believe. Explaining the different messages.
I am wondering if the software RK is using is a bit bugged.
Thanks given by:
The limit on how many times an email address can be used is one (1). If I try to re-register, I get a message telling me that the address is already in use by a forum member (grr. If I find out who it is....oh...wait....).
I'd guess that the anti-spam plug-in is being over-zealous and needs a slap.
Thanks given by:
* jAcKRoCk* slaps the anti-spam plug in
nothing yet?
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 11, 08:52AM)jamz Wrote: The limit on how many times an email address can be used is one (1).
[...]
I'd guess that the anti-spam plug-in is being over-zealous and needs a slap.
Doesn't that make sense? Usually, an email address only belongs to one person, and the number of accounts this one person is allowed to have is one. Of course, just checking email won't keep off those who intentionally have double accounts, but at least it prevents accidental double-registration.
Thanks given by:
I was able to register finally after much finagling. Thank you guys for trying to help.
Thanks given by:
Waffles! Check out my breakfast script!!
I thought about you as I made it.
Thanks given by:
Glad you could make it Waffles :)
Thanks given by:
(03 Mar 11, 05:51PM)tempest Wrote: Doesn't that make sense?...
Perfect sense. My two comments were supposed to be separate - one to cover Gibstick's duplicate email issue, one to cover the inability of some to register. Sorry if they were too close together. Maybe I should have used a larger full stop●

Thank you jAcKRoCk*; if you could give it a slap every morning when you wake, the problem may go away completely.

Welcome Waffles :)
Thanks given by:
tempest: I was expecting a different message, such as "email in use" instead of a cryptic message that implies I spam the forums.
Thanks given by:
But with 1,684 posts, you do spam the forums.
Thanks given by: