Upcoming Release Balance Discussion (SVN)
Isn't that the point of a shotgun? Powerful close range weapon and spread to hit a larger area?
Thanks given by:
The problem with it is that the engine only allows for smaller maps with tight spaces. Shotguns are fairer on large maps where it actually takes skill to get to your opponent for a kill. We simply dont have that in AC. Since we only have small corridors (usually) the shotgun can't be too strong.
Thanks given by:
Also stop trying to kill the smg with that hax recoil. It needs less if anything. ;)
Less Recoil is it's "specialty" :(

<3
Thanks given by:
even ape pwns with AR, noobs ;)

Thanks given by:
That's fake, but you got your point across xD
Thanks given by:
so like when is this thing gonna be finished?
Thanks given by:
Like it is going , it need some more months.
Thanks given by:
yeh , i think it already took too long. SVN is fine like it is.
Thanks given by:
not quite. weapon balance - specifically the shotgun - isn't 100% perfect; then the only thing we'd still be waiting for (and we've been urging the responsible parties, be sure of it, for the last months already) is the update of the anticheat-code to the new weapon-stats.
We're all very anxious to get the next release out, but - as always - we can't know who/what will delay the process or, for that matter, for how long. It's ready when it's ready.
Thanks given by:
New mac bins. AC r6557

@Devs, two things.

1)
A bug I found.
heartbeat 0-99.

I realized this wasn't a bool, so I cranked it up to 99, and then found it too loud. I then kept on lowering it, and found that it never got softer. It either didn't sound, or it was loud. It didn't sound at 8, and started sounding at 9. Probably not the heartbeats fault, but the audio software or something.

2)
Not sure why this was happening, but it said something along the lines of "Overloaded function with no contextual information". I did a grep which revealed that getmode was only used in this chunck that I just gave you. So I changed it around to COMMANDN and appeneded _ to the end of the function declaration, and that seemed to work. Something to think about for final release.

Here is the code:
//Next line is 1534:command.cpp.
void getmode_(int acr = 0) { result(modestr(gamemode, acr ? true : false)); }

COMMANDN(millis, millis_, ARG_IVAL);
COMMANDN(strlen, strlen_, ARG_1STR);
COMMANDN(substr, substr_, ARG_3STR);
COMMANDN(strpos, strpos_, ARG_3STR);
COMMAND(l0, ARG_2INT);
COMMAND(systime, ARG_NONE);
COMMANDN(timestamp, timestamp_, ARG_NONE);
COMMAND(datestring, ARG_NONE);
COMMANDN(timestring, timestring_, ARG_NONE);
COMMANDN(getmode, getmode_, ARG_1INT);
Thanks given by:
re 1) Not a bug, read the docs ;) But... you found it too loud? I thought it was too quiet.

re 2) Maybe your compiler complained about the "int acr = 0" default parameter. You could try reverting the changes you made and then just remove the "= 0". That's not needed anyway.
Thanks given by:
Naw, I tried it without the "= 0"
I can check, but I am pretty sure it is GCC within the xcode environment. These changes aren't ground breaking :P And I am not sure if the problem is just for me ;)

Cleaner gave me the rundown. I feel stupid ;) And there was no doc ref onscreen, so I didn't know what to expect. You could also just provide an alias to the hitsounds volume so you can just do "/hitsoundvol 255".
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 11, 12:54PM)SnowOak Wrote: so like when is this thing gonna be finished?

(15 Jul 11, 02:09PM)Elite Wrote: Like it is going , it need some more months.

(15 Jul 11, 07:59PM)CicloN Wrote: yeh , i think it already took too long. SVN is fine like it is.
It seems almost done ^^

Thanks given by:
http://pbclan.tk/files/SVN_r6569_assaultcube.dmg

Mac SVN update. Nothing special new, I just updated it as I updated my own SVN.
Thanks given by:
I miss my computer!
Reading that you changed the SMG a bit back to the action of 1.04 really wanted me to play again.
The game was pure action and the SMG was really fun back in those days.
You would get owned by good snipers but you had a good chance when learning to crouch as soon as you faced a sniper so he sometimes missed the first shot.
The change in 1.1 made the SMG feel like a terrible game of packetloss, you still could aim well and handle it but bullets would not hit target.
And somehow the game got slower, the action got reduced to 0.9 from 1.0 (kinda) and that just didnt attract me at all.

I liked the game at first try cuz of the chaos that could be controlled with good movement and using of every object on maps for crouch and jumps.
The game had a rythm somehow.
It was very addictive to me at least as i hate tactical fps games.

I lost that feeling but maybe many liked the new version.
Hope you get that feeling back some day.

Thanks given by:
Hey,
I've been skimming through these notes and I may have missed what I was looking for but my question is with the AR and SMG. Would it be practicle and balanced to have the AR and SMG have their damage output different but if given 100% accuracy on a stationary target they would kill the target in the same amount of time and then just alter their handling so they still feel like two different weapons?
Thanks given by:
They kill in the same amount of time. ;)
And do feel a bit different.

AR is all rawrrawrawr
SMG is all nyanyanyanyanyanyanyan

Mod edit: SMG fixed
Thanks given by:
(10 Jul 11, 07:14AM)Cloud Wrote: in the map editor make it so the you can make new floors from walls(like comming out of a wall)

You know, because it's not like that would require a completely different engine or anything. :P

(15 Sep 11, 09:37AM)Takkunen Wrote: Hey,
I've been skimming through these notes and I may have missed what I was looking for but my question is with the AR and SMG. Would it be practicle and balanced to have the AR and SMG have their damage output different but if given 100% accuracy on a stationary target they would kill the target in the same amount of time and then just alter their handling so they still feel like two different weapons?

That's actually exactly how they function in 1104- Adding in the fact that the SMG has consistetly wide spread and the AR has spread that starts out accurate, but widens out after about 3 shots.

The SMG and the AR are supposed to be mostly versatile weapons: SMGs kill faster up close while ARs kill faster at a distance, but they are roughly the same at the midpoint.
Thanks given by:
(15 Sep 11, 06:22PM)VenteX Wrote: The SMG and the AR are supposed to be mostly versatile weapons: SMGs kill faster up close while ARs kill faster at a distance, but they are roughly the same at the midpoint.

Actually the AR has less spread and kills the same or quicker than SMG for all amour values if you can handle its recoil.
  • 100 health, 0 amour: both kill in 480ms
  • 100 health, 25 amour: SMG 560ms, AR 480ms
  • 100 health, 50 amour: SMG 640ms, AR 600ms
  • 100 health, 75 amour: SMG 720ms, AR 600ms
  • 100 health, 100 armour: SMG 800ms, AR 720ms

Additionally, the SMG's spread starts at 40 and increases up to a maximum of 80 whereas the AR's spread starts at 20 and increases to a maximum of 60. The only downside to the AR is that its spread is random and harder to manage. The SMG's recoil in 1104 is completely constant.
Thanks given by:
Wow Larry , you are a true geek.
Thanks given by:
(16 Sep 11, 03:16PM)CicloN Wrote: Wow Larry , you are a true geek.

That's common knowledge among ex-legacy players. Knowledge of the pickup timings, weapon stats, netcode and so on were pretty important for us. For instance, knowing those shield values you can realize why we always gave the 25 shield in CLA or RVSF base on ac_depot to the player going tunnels.
Thanks given by:
(16 Sep 11, 03:54PM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(16 Sep 11, 03:16PM)CicloN Wrote: Wow Larry , you are a true geek.

That's common knowledge among ex-legacy players. Knowledge of the pickup timings, weapon stats, netcode and so on were pretty important for us. For instance, knowing those shield values you can realize why we always gave the 25 shield in CLA or RVSF base on ac_depot to the player going tunnels.

Everybody does the same.

Thanks given by:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cubecalc/

/plug
Thanks given by:
Funny little app; here's a linux64 binary and some fixes I did to the source - initially just to make it compile, then I couldn't stop myself from e.g. putting in an input-of-health-0 means I've had enough and can quit the loop quickly (no further questions b4 the failure-catch-IF).
mediafire 2011sep17.1245.CubeCalc.linux64.bin+src.tar.bz2 (8.4KB)
Thanks given by:
Ah, in the development someone decided to snarf the source :> They were trying to make it more OOP rather than our previous procedural. (This was an app to help teach some of us C++)
I'll check out the changes :)
Thanks given by:
The only question is that truly matters is when in the unholy hullaballooja are the 'nades getting fixed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Thanks given by:
(17 Sep 11, 07:32PM)MorganKell Wrote: The only question is that truly matters is when in the unholy hullaballooja are the 'nades getting fixed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
They're not exactly broken.
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 11, 02:29AM)Syntax Wrote:
(17 Sep 11, 07:32PM)MorganKell Wrote: The only question is that truly matters is when in the unholy hullaballooja are the 'nades getting fixed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
They're not exactly broken.

I saw a crack in one, you know in desert over on the box in the funky oom next to the CLA base

Thanks given by:
I am testing and testing the new smg, but the recoil is horrible, you wont get anymore any long range frag, its impossible, the damage is fine but all other sucks, idk if the spread has changed.

I cant believe that the current recoil is between 1.1.0.4 and 1.0.4, 1.0.4 was far easier to handle.

In my eyes the smg didnt get improved, got worse instead, if you can handle smg in 1.1.0.4. perfect, you can frag better and faster. Also the accuracy difference is around 10 %, if you dont do prev shooting and rifle jumping.
Thanks given by:
Yeah AR is taking over the world. :(
Thanks given by: