Look what I built :)
Yes, I know I should rather work on AC, but sometimes I like using my hands. So I took some old parts from a scrap guitar and some wood, and built a lap steel guitar :)

[Image: crapcaster.jpg]

Quick sound demo: http://soundcloud.com/makke77/test-195/s-WZLBP

The fretmarkers are not perfect, but good enough for a start. It sounds pretty much like it looks, be that good or bad. :P
Thanks given by:
Cool :D

How loud does it play? There is no hole..... And anyway, what's that thing in the lower left side of the pic?
Thanks given by:
That's the volume pot and the output jack, it's electric!
Thanks given by:
He is probably really artist man. If he wouldn't he would buy it. :) Or just handy man ?

(it is science to build it with good sound but looks it very good)
Thanks given by:
Well, it's not a great thing - it sounds and plays like it looks - crude. The sustain is pretty short when played above the 12th fret. Probably has to do with the bridge, wich is some rather soft plastic glued on top of a sanded down les-paul style bridge. It was just an experiment to see how hard it is to build, and using scrap to make it. I think I will build a proper one with good parts and wood one day.

It's fun to play though, and it helps to teach the ear.
Thanks given by:
Too much time on your hands MakkE
Thanks given by:
I thought this was one of those things when you use a actual guitar for guitar hero ... I have done that and its worked xD
Thanks given by:
Here's me messing around on it:

http://soundcloud.com/makke77/test-195/s-WZLBP
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome! :D
Thanks given by:
great job! and I love how the topic is "Look what I built :)" lol
Thanks given by:
That's just plain awesome. It really sounds a lot better than it looks. Same as for AC, I guess: the graphics are not what matters :P
Thanks given by:
i love it! :D its awesome
Thanks given by:
Heh thanks people. Now I just have to learn how to play it properly.
Thanks given by:
<3 makkE. I love doing things like that. Maybe we can have a lap-guitar make-off sometimes.
Thanks given by:
What's a "make-off" ?
Thanks given by:
Where we make instruments in a competition.
Thanks given by:
Your guitar looks pretty good. You are an artist! :D

Thanks given by:
Did anyone else picture MakkE moseying out into a Western-themed AC map for a duel?
* V-Man calls a vote: MakkE should make the music for a Western mod
Thanks given by:
does it actually play like a real guitar?
Thanks given by:
fox_ares, you can answer that question yourself by listening to the little tune he posted. I must say it sounds more like a big banjo than a guitar :D
Thanks given by:
awesome! and fantastic sound imho
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 10, 08:17PM)makkE Wrote: That's the volume pot and the output jack, it's electric!
Stupid of me, didn't notice.... :|

Great though!
Thanks given by:
Fox: It sounds diffrent, because you aren't fretting the strings (pressing them down) but you play it with a piece of metal tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJeD0KDWNjw
^^Like this (not me) :P

It shouldn't sound much like a banjo though, I think the plastic bridge makes some strings rattle, so they even sound like a sitar when open. Got to replace it sometime.
Thanks given by:
Lap steel ftw.

I got 3 but im too lazy to build one ^^

Awesome work. :D
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it doesn't sound really good but it must be fun to do that instrument. And it looks pretty decent.
Thanks given by:
Maybe if you tweaked around a bit you could add a frame and make a real guitar that sounds good. :)

Stanko was making one. Might want to ask him for tips :P
Thanks given by:
It sounds a lot better now after I have replaced the plastic bridge with a metal angle. More sustain and less strings rattling. I also did a better job in leveling the strings.
Thanks given by:
that's some badass homegrown talent right there.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 10, 04:27PM)makkE Wrote: Fox: It sounds diffrent, because you aren't fretting the strings (pressing them down) but you play it with a piece of metal tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJeD0KDWNjw
^^Like this (not me) :P

It shouldn't sound much like a banjo though, I think the plastic bridge makes some strings rattle, so they even sound like a sitar when open. Got to replace it sometime.

can also be used with "tapping" (press string fast to produce the sound).the advantage of this instrument is that you can play a bass part with a guitar one,or a rythm part with a solo part.it's just a groove machine when well played ;)

really amazing makke ;) did you found layout and schematic somewhere? or is it a try? ( i love musical DIY stuff)

oups...... i thought it was this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=askIRJCMeoA
a stick guitar :D
Thanks given by:
Sweet Makke, I love handmade/custom stuff.
edit: crapcaster, I really loled :D
btw it sounds decent really, is this direct to line-in recording? :D blues ftw ;)
make off! I'm in:P

I myself started making guitar, explorer :)
So here's few images, it will be finished soon, now waiting for lacquer to dry, and then final polishing and that's it!
I've tried it before painting and it sounds awesome! :D
[Image: X9Xyp.jpg]
[Image: Et7qn.jpg]
[Image: RQYeC.jpg]
[Image: k5JEB.jpg]
Thanks given by: