Ideas
(23 Dec 11, 01:54AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: I hate autoteam. You lead a gloriously fantastic team and then all of a sudden you are the nemesis of your former teammates.
That's the point. :|
I like autoteam, because I hate one-sided games.
Thanks given by:
(23 Dec 11, 04:40AM)Orynge Wrote: That's the point. :|
I like autoteam, because I hate one-sided games.
I concur, Autoteam ftw.
Thanks given by:
People have to understand that autoteam is about as good as it can get. The reason it sometimes gets it wrong (horribly) - is because it only has a certain amount of data about each client (score, frags, headshots, teamkills, and so on) to work with and decide the best fit teams. It has no way of evaluating each players specific play styles (do they camp, run and gun, run flags, defend flags, etc..) so autoteam sometimes makes bad decisions about fair teams.

Creating a fool proof autoteam system would be next to impossible, it is far too complex and there are way too many variables to consider when trying to automate fair teams in a FPS. If server owners are sick of autoteam getting things wrong, thankfully there is a easy way to disable it completely.

Of course, disabling autoteam on a public server is never a good idea. (e.g. /forceteam abuse to stack teams)

I suppose we should be appreciative when autoteams gets it right, and just shrug it off when it doesn't.
Thanks given by:
Well, this might sound stupid but if theres an admin in the match then autoteam should be turned off and the admin should be the one balancing the teams. Thats, IMO, what admins are about, but its seems people have a different concept...
Thanks given by:
People spam shuffle votes all the time too anyways. :'(
I'd personally rather play with 'stacked' teams of =MyS= & B} vs SpaghettiMan54,
Than waste 14 long minutes in a close game only to get the game ruined.

I think it was Wolf who brought up the no autoteam/auto-shuffle at the beginning of each game idea.
Players can switch teams up on their own if it's unfair, so cons are crushing pros imo.
(kind of like how I've never seen anti-cheat get rid of a hacker, and it's been accused of making the game worse)

Thanks given by:
whatever how autoteam messes about I still plea for us to keep ammos/armour and all as prior the swap!

Fix this and you'll make my day.
Thanks given by:
-don't let autoteam move people who are carrying flags
-don't let autoteam change things at all in the last 1/4 of the game
-don't let autoteam change the same player more than twice during one game
-don't have the player's ammo/health/etc reset when they are switched by autoteam

@Bukz: though you don't know a players playing style directly, couldn't you extrapolate what their playing style probably is from their stats? e.g. someone who is flag running will have more flag grabs, and someone who is camping will not be moving around very much (which isn't in their stats per se, but the server does know the position of all the players)
Thanks given by:
<3 Lantry
Thanks given by:
(23 Dec 11, 02:27PM)Nightmare Wrote: Than waste 14 long minutes in a close game only to get the game ruined.

What about not removing it, but increasing the threshold for "uneven teams"?
Thanks given by:
Why would you want auto team to even be working during a pub game?! I mean, this may sound pretty controversial to some of you lads, but honestly, when you are owning in a pub game because your team actually cares and you're covering each other and shit, but then auto team happens and you all get separated just cause the losing team couldn't do anything it really bugs me. I KNOW that it's unfair when you are winning 10-2 or something, but c'mon guys, where's the fun if you just auto team the game and create a tied match. There's no fun in that! There really isn't.

And yes, like Nightmare said, I once said some time ago in this thread about disabling auto team (or simply not making it default would be just as well, like someone said some posts ago), and that in the start of every game there would be an auto-shuffle, so games are different every time a new one begins. Shuffle teams should also be restricted to normal players and only let admins use it or something because just as auto team they ruin everything. Let players continue having rights to force team individual players, and if things are too uneven then someone can vote that instead of shuffling.

Also, it would be awesome if Cleaner's idea (Lantry also said it) would be taken into consideration about keeping ammo/armor/hp after you are forced to the other team. As well if you are forced and you currently have the flag (in any flag mode this should apply), then the server should wait for you to lose possession of that flag and then change you.

Please say your thoughts about this, I want to know what you guys think, and sorry about making this post so long.
Thanks given by:
Could we get a beter Anti-TeamKill system? Some players get high on frags and then start to teamkill. I propose something like this.
Each player starts out with zero TeamKill points when you damage a player on your team the amount of damage you dealt (Including armour) is translated into teamkill points so if you knifed a team mate you'd gain 50 teamkill points if you killed a teamate 100 (200 if they had full armour.) teamkill points; if you shot a teammate you had the flag you'd gain double the TeamKill points of normal.

Once you reached 500 the server would exercute you as a warning. Once you reached 1000 the server would tempban you. Does this all make sense or have I explained it wierdly?
Thanks given by:
Yes the anti-teamkill server code needs to be improved. The problem is determining the difference between someone doing it purposefully, or someone that just has bad luck and does it by accident.
Thanks given by:
I'd rather see damage mirrored back to the would-be teamkiller.
Thanks given by:
What about a warning when you are shooting teammates?

Each bullet causes a "DONT SHOOT YOUR FRIENDS!"
Thanks given by:
That will only help those that do not know they are firing at teamates. Players that do it intentionally will just ignore such a message.
Thanks given by:
(23 Dec 11, 10:45PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Each bullet causes a "DONT SHOOT YOUR FRIENDS!"
Yeah that needs to be implmented if nothing else; in a big font like the kill messages to remind people which team they are on incase autoteam had just switched them.
Thanks given by:
I like Mael's idea the most to be honest. Remove the anti-teamkill code and make all team damage redirect to the actor. It certainly would make people play more carefully. :)
Thanks given by:
Wolf = <3

Mael's idea = would be an interesting addition. xD
Thanks given by:
Indeed Mael put forward a way to punish teamkillers but let's be cautious here... We want to hit the REAL Tkers!

Teamkill can happen accidentally, crossfire for example would unfortunately here penalise the team TWICE.

So... I am no coding master but could it be like a "enemy within radius" sort of device? So that intentional TK is detected right away?
I know it won't solve everything in one go but it could be a start of a more complex/just what we needed code.
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 11, 01:38AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: Teamkill can happen accidentally, crossfire for example would unfortunately here penalise the team TWICE.

Ideally I'd imagine the damage only hurt the shooter. Players A and B, both on CLA; A shoots B, A is harmed B is not. So friendly fire is not "on" or "off" but a combination of both. It's is impossible to tk a flag carrier if 100% of the damage bounces back at the shooter.

(24 Dec 11, 01:38AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: So... I am no coding master but could it be like a "enemy within radius" sort of device? So that intentional TK is detected right away?

It could absolutely be done that way but imagine the player that fires on his teamates at long range with a rifle.

Also, as much as I'd like to take credit for this idea it was not mine. Someone else posted it here and I believe they saw it in another game(The fact that we all know to call it "mirror" damage is evidence that there was a precedent set by another game). It was discussed in minor detail, various suggestions were made(Mirror all damage, mirror half the damage, mirror half inflict half to the target, etc.).
Thanks given by:
Let's keep autoteam from kicking in until just before the next game starts.

Also, this:
(23 Dec 11, 02:29PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: whatever how autoteam messes about I still plea for us to keep ammos/armour and all as prior the swap!

Thanks given by:
A normal map with gema features. Example: you can get to places faster by going the gema route. Or to make it more realistic because I know y'all like realism here on this game where douze has a floating "thing" in the sky, the parkour route. I think this would add fun to the map, make it more challenging, give the game another dimension thus making it more interesting and plus it's actually more realistic. In real life obviously you tend not to be bound to just running about on the ground, you can climb things, you can jump from here to there and you can make shortcuts. And lastly it's gonna help people who hate gemas to realise jumping on things isn't as stupid as they thought, and perhaps they'll like this idea and then try gemas again and realise they're not that bad after all. I do understand that the jumps would have to be small enough so that everyone could use them, don't wan't people moaning about the AR any more than they already do.
Thanks given by:
Oh, Hellspell , nice idea!
I´ve already seen it implemented but in a very "shy" way. Yesterday I played an OSOK game in a map in TyD forsaken where there was a camping spot only accessible by SR jumping, like some walls in ac_desert. Im shit remembering names, but theres also this map where the armor is enclosed near the red base, and one way to access it is by rifle jumping from a garbage dumpster (done on purpose IMO).
What would be lovely, in implementing such a feature as you said, is that there where a penalty if you missed the "gema jump". For example, to fall on a water hallway that goes back to your base, or something similar.
I think that, as there are a lot of jumps that can be used, this would make mappers who know what they are doing have wet dreams. If any mapper is around and wanna try, I have some ideas, fell free to PM me!
Thanks given by:
Im not creative at all....lolnftw
Thanks given by:
How about you let gemas stay gema maps, and you let normal maps be normal? There are enough people out there that I know that dislike gemas already. I'd even say that gema players are lucky and fortunate those kind of maps haven't been banned.
Thanks given by:
Inspirational xD
Thanks given by:
(26 Dec 11, 09:08PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: How about you let gemas stay gema maps, and you let normal maps be normal? There are enough people out there that I know that dislike gemas already. I'd even say that gema players are lucky and fortunate those kind of maps haven't been banned.
And there enough players I know that like gemas and would like this kind of map to be made. Im sure people aren't just going to go "it has places to jump, therefore it is a gema, therefore I don't like this". Give it a chance, if ever it is made.
Also, I don't mean like floating barrels if that's what you think, and that's why you're against the idea. Something that you'd actually see irl, like tops of buildings or crumbled walls, for example.
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 11, 07:57PM)V-Man Wrote: Let's keep autoteam from kicking in until just before the next game starts.
What about autoteam uses 50% time of game to "watch" players and autoteam (switch) after that and score what 50% of game time is up.

And of course, like everyone else, this:
(23 Dec 11, 02:29PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: whatever how autoteam messes about I still plea for us to keep ammos/armour and all as prior the swap!
Thanks given by:
(28 Dec 11, 05:20AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote:
(24 Dec 11, 07:57PM)V-Man Wrote: Let's keep autoteam from kicking in until just before the next game starts.
What about autoteam uses 50% time of game to "watch" players and autoteam (switch) after that and score what 50% of game time is up.

50% of game time is a great place to consider. If your suggestion is taken, that could be a good time for the autoteam to kick in, but then it should only hit once -- and only if teams are miserably mismatched.
I believe that autoteam should affect the game as little as possible, and only to be used as a tool that prevents team stacking or persistently unfair teaming.
On the other hand, this could be extremely difficult to prevent as long as some hall-of-famer is playing... :/
Thanks given by:
Lol at Gema arguements. Reality is, a lot of people like gema's. Better to have the addition than not. I think you'll find that some maps tastefully have gema aspects in. (Ever jumped for the helmet + health in the douze pillar? GEMA. How about rifle jumping rather than going up the ladder in ac_outpost? GEMA.)

Perhaps it shouldn't really be named Gema though. Maps with some jumps that require a bit of precision can be fun. <3
Thanks given by: