Ideas
You could make an external app that displays player positions in another window I suppose.
Thanks given by:
"another idea: force the game to shut down if any "bad" programs are detected"
Define bad programs. You shouldn't treat all players like cheaters and scan for "bad" applications. That sounds like a clone of V.A.C. (Valve Anti Cheat) minus the delayed banning and the check on your binary. And VAC isn't very good.
Thanks given by:
I would mind if AC would search inside my PC. There should be some privacy. Instead of searching every single corner of my files maybe if would only detect any hack programs, though I guess Brahma would've already thought of this and since it hasn't been implemented or talked about, it's probably not as simple.
Thanks given by:
Yea, it would be too easy to just mod the sources to not do any scans at all and report the client as "clean".
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 10, 07:04AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: An example pwned? Can't quite understand what you mean by bad programs. You mean like a program in the background that has a virus then the game shuts down? How would that help you?
it's like if you have cheat engine open while playing AC, then AC will be shut down. well it's just an idea.

for wall hack, i like the thing "Death" in Cube 2. we can get that in AssaultCube too. so if they are out of map, they are dead.
Thanks given by:
I like the out of map = death idea too.
Thanks given by:
I was working on a map earlier today and I determined that to make it fit the style I was shooting for, having some puddles in certain areas would help a lot, but the problem is that if I were to raise the water level to reach that area, certain parts of the map would be flooded. Would it be possible to have an option to raise the waterlevel in certain areas, while leaving the level in others untouched?
Thanks given by:
No Habluka, that would require major rewriting of AC's water system, and I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Any change in waterlevel's value, will result in all water being at the level throughout the entire map. As I said, don't expect that to change anytime soon, let alone ever. :P
Thanks given by:
Is there a work around? Or tips?
Thanks given by:
make the whole map one big heightfield so that it's on a really subtle slope. Then some parts are under water but others aren't.
BTW: How high do you like WQD?
Thanks given by:
As long as it doesn't pass 5000 I'm happy.
Thanks given by:
Why Not make an AssaultCube in game lobby So we can chat and stuff
Thanks given by:
You can chat while playing, and for everything else there's IRC.
Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 10, 11:28PM)ExiledVeterans Wrote: Why Not make an AssaultCube in game lobby So we can chat and stuff

i encourage this idea
Thanks given by:
Just in case the devs are still in the mood to make new idents:

- Command which removes a given string from another
echo (delstr "I do not like CubeScript" "do not ")
output: I like CubeScript

- Read-only variable which describes whether a vote is currently pending
alias nextban [if $votepending [ban $arg1 (at $kickbanreason (rnd 5))] [sleep 1 [nextban]]]

- Ident that can describe a one-time execution based on conline contents (since some conline things take an uncertain amount of time before appearing)
alias checkip [whois $arg1; on_nextconout [WHOIS] [if (strstr (at $conline 2) $autoban_IP) [ban $arg1] []]]

- Option to squelch certain words/phrases (so they never make it onto my screen)
Thanks given by:
(28 Aug 10, 07:13AM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Just in case the devs are still in the mood to make new idents:

- Command which removes a given string from another
echo (delstr "I do not like CubeScript" "do not ")
output: I like CubeScript

How about something like replacestr instead?
echo (replacestr "I do not like CubeScript" "do not" "really")
output: I really like CubeScript
Thanks given by:
More hitsound options. Options to change its volume (the hitsound is barely heard when using AR), and change the sound to other kinds of beeps.
Thanks given by:
Wolf: sounds.cfg line 58
Thanks given by:
(28 Aug 10, 11:33PM)Gibstick Wrote: Wolf: sounds.cfg line 58

You mean this:
registersound player/crouch_out" 75 0 14 // 58 - S_UNCROUCH
'Cause I doubt this is it.

You're most probably talking about this one:
registersound "misc/impact_t"             // 47 - S_HITSOUND
Though, what exactly would I put after the "misc/impact_t" bit?
Thanks given by:
Crossposted from my thread after V-Man kindly pointed me to this thread

Idea for the next release: Allow someone to connectadmin and spectate without taking a slot in the server. This way we can allow the intended amount of users to connect while allowing the admin to observe if desired. Or would this defeat the purpose of setting the limit to what the server/bandwidth can handle?

If this is the case, alternate idea: Allow admin to interact with the server locally. Currently I can see server goings-on in terminal but I can't do anything unless I connectadmin. Perhaps server.sh should run a CLI program in which we can enter common admin commands without connecting using the client.
Thanks given by:
registersound "misc/impact_t" [volume] [] [] // 47 - S_HITSOUND
where [volume] can be between 0 and 255.
The other two arguments are "loop" (you don't want this looping, XD) and "radius" (not applicable here).
If you want, you can create an alias modifiable in-(between) game(s).
alias hitsoundvol [128] // or whatever
// Then the line in sounds.cfg should look like this:
registersound "misc/impact_t" $hitsoundvol [] [] // 47 - S_HITSOUND
Then in-game you can say
/hitsoundvol = 32
and then reset the game (D:) to let it take effect.

EDIT: Hehe. $hitsoundvol. GG

Okay, back on topic:

- Ident which can check whether a certain menu is defined
echo (menudefined "Rave Party") // Shameless plug
output: 1

- Ident which can delete a certain line of a menu after it is defined
newmenu "test"
menuitem "set test as 1" "test = 1"
menuitem "set test as 2" "test = 2"
menuitem "set test as 3" "test = 3"
menuitem "set test as 4" "test = 4"
menuitem "delete line 3" "menudeleteline 3"
Thanks given by:
Ended up doing this:
registersound "misc/impact_t" 255          // 47 - S_HITSOUND

Thanks for the help vman :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demo ideas:
  • Pause option
  • Rewind and Forward
  • Enable us to see the gun (not only the crosshair)
  • Enable us to see both teams in radar and minimap
Thanks given by:
/paused 1
/gamespeed 1000
Demo Rewind Workaround (but yes, a proper rewind would be nice)
+1 to that last idea.
Thanks given by:
Map-specific fog values that players may not exceed.
Thanks given by:
After you die and go into spectating mode make the first view free roam. It was getting annoying having to cycle through the team, then find where I'm a on the map, then get back to where I died.
Thanks given by:
Allow spectating of dead players. I don't know how many times I've wanted to spec someone in a demo but I keep passing over them because they're dead.
Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 10, 11:28PM)ExiledVeterans Wrote: Why Not make an AssaultCube in game lobby So we can chat and stuff
If this were to occur, it could connect players to the AssaultCube IRC channel.
Thanks given by:
Who wants to embed an IRC client into the game!
I kinda like the idea as I'm always in the IRC when playing.
But, dont allow them to connect to the official channel, cuz then you would get tons of people talking about the plays that no one else saw.
Some how I doubt the devs will try this, but I would find it entertaining if someone tried it themselves!
Thanks given by:
A /msg NAME "MESSAGE" command.
Thanks given by:
(06 Sep 10, 06:39AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Who wants to embed an IRC client into the game!
I kinda like the idea as I'm always in the IRC when playing.
But, dont allow them to connect to the official channel, cuz then you would get tons of people talking about the plays that no one else saw.
Some how I doubt the devs will try this, but I would find it entertaining if someone tried it themselves!
Similar things have already been done already via a bot, I believe. ACWC used a bot to parse data into the IRC channel, and that includes chat. Embedding an actual IRC client would be interesting, and might augment AC's uses. After all, AC is a chatting client with a built in FPS...
Thanks given by: