quality requisites
hey guys. i have a few questions about the map editor. i've read most of the posts about map requirements and havent found good answers these questions.

1. i have a few maps now that i made and believe to be withing the requirements. Nothing is higher than about 26 or 27 cubes. and i have decent amount of open space but walls close it in an i drop the ceiling where i can. I am getting sick of trying to edit it and only find the regular error about "not meeting quality requisites." is there some way i can make it specify why its not meeting the requirements because i am about ready to give up on two maps that i think are very well designed for solid gameplay.

2. i have a map that works and i would like to post it on the forums for feed back. can anyone tell me how to do this? I am fairly noob.

3. how do u apply angle slants to the walls and ceiling? is it possible to make a the floor raise in the shape of a triangle or anything other than rectangle shapes?

4. i read somewhere that using the F key to fill in areas and block the line of sight makes for lower wqd's and easier processing. will the same be true if i use walls that don't go to the ceiling or say map models to obstruct the view?

5. can i download more map models to use in my maps? assault cube is great but i feel limited when it comes to map models.

6. is there an easy way for me to pick a color and find out its code for the fogcolour comand? right now i just punch in randoms till something works lol not cool.

7. is there any good tutorials for creating my own sky map, making my own sound files for maps, making my own map models??

8. how do you make the wall look real but let u run thru it? (secret passage)

9. is there any way i can delete every player spawn all at once?

sorry for the long list of questions but i don't think they been answered on here before... my main thing is how do i know specifically why my maps aren't meeting quality requisites. thanks for ur help and i look forward to helping make some bomb ass maps.
one last question too. it gives the warning about no more than one or two trees. but i have played maps with like 20 trees? can i put a bunch of trees in my maps?
Thanks given by:
1) in 1.1.0.4 the client will print the exact reason why your map does not fit the requisites.

2) use akimbo.in

3) idk

4) no... use walls to obstruct the vision does not have the exact same effect of use solid walls.... you can check this with your FPS

5) My experience with extra map models is that you will find it difficult to share the map... the fast way to share a map is sending it to a server and playing it... but the textures and models do not go. Your only solution is to present the map to the community and people download the full pack.

6) idk

7) about tutorials, search about Mr.Floppy tutorials in this forum, and search the official documents

8) I swear I will fix the secret passage soon (the map will be blocked)... so do not waste time with it.

9) idk

last) Do not use more than 1 tree model in the same area of your map... they are heavy models, and in the future maps with lots of models will be blocked
Thanks given by:
9)
/clearents playerstart
Thanks given by:
(22 Oct 10, 02:05PM)Brahma Wrote: [...] and in the future maps with lots of models will be blocked

Sorry for running off-topic, but would it be possible to 'count' the total amount of polys per area instead of judging on the plain number of models?

There's quite a difference between a tree (approx 300 polys) and the flyer (approx 2 polys) model. I imagine a model file to be something like a 'list of vectors and coordinates' putting it down to plain text format. If I'm not completely wrong about this, probably a kind of inbuilt model-poly-count could do the trick rather cheaply.
Thanks given by:
6) It's a hexadecimal color value.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal_color (just ignore the word "web").
For example, 0x000000 is completely black, 0xFFFFFF is plain white, 0xFFFF00 is yellow, and so on.
Thanks given by:
(22 Oct 10, 05:25PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Sorry for running off-topic, but would it be possible to 'count' the total amount of polys per area instead of judging on the plain number of models?

Sorry!!! I wrongly expressed myself.
I was thinking in count local density of map models in a given area of the map (considering only the heaviest map models). I would implement a list of models... but your idea is far better (count the polys and not the models).

Sorry for the mis-expression.
Thanks given by:
(22 Oct 10, 07:13AM)9/11=insideJOB Wrote: [...] and i have decent amount of open space but walls close it in an i drop the ceiling where i can. [...]

i read somewhere that using the F key to fill in areas and block the line of sight makes for lower wqd's and easier processing. [...]

Always use F ("solids"). I don't know what you mean when you say "dropping the ceiling" but whenever you have a wall that is supposed to go from the floor to ceiling, use F. Don't pull down ceilings and raise the floor, trying to close that gap.

Fog colour is a hex number. You can use the values from those typical colour pickers you find in image programs (for example gimp or photoshop, maybe even paint).

Skymaps: use this http://www.twhl.co.za/tutorial.php?id=162

To delete all spawns at once, use the /clearents command.
For example "/clearents playerstart" will delete all playerstarts.

Secret walls: There are tricks to do this in AC, but I advise not to do it. It's bad design, since you can shoot through them, but not see through them - bad for gameplay. Also, they have "noob mapper" written on them automatically ;)

Read the documentation! (readme.html) It explains a lot of these things.
Thanks given by:
There is a trick how create it. One "nooby mapper" showed me. :P Try some vertical mapmodels in a certain direction covered by a proper texture. you can shoot through such wall and see all enemies.The enemies in field don't see you and cannot shoot you.

Next trick is with ceilings. You will overceiled wall with a texture of doors. But you don't see anything.

There are many such tricks because Cube engine is limited and you need a bit cheat in mappings :P. I loved when Archangel created big white flag on ship and all others thought it is a mapmodel. :P Cube is cool. :P

a forum = RTFM, you must coop man :P
Thanks given by:

"in 1.1.0.4 the client will print the exact reason why your map does not fit the requisites."

can you please explain that in noob.

1.where do i download 1.1.0.4?
2. how do i go about doing this? try to /sendmap and vote on it in a multiplayer game?

3. can i put bots into a map i make for single player play or just to see how i like the map and have something to shoot at?
Thanks given by:
1.1.0.4 isn't out yet. You can add bot waypoints, or do /mode 8; map YOURMAPNAMEHERE
then do /addbot
Thanks given by:
1. What Brahma means
In the game version you are using (1.1.0.3), when you try to vote a map in a server, if the map does not fit the "Map Quality Requisites" rules, then it simply tells you that it doesn't fit the quality requisites.
Brahma here affirms that in the next game version (1.1.0.4), when you try to vote a map that doesn't qualify the quality requisites, it will state precisely what are the reasons that the map you voted won't be accepted. The rationales could vary from the ceiling being too high to the health packs being too close to each other.

2.Where to download 1.1.0.4
1.1.0.4 isn't out yet, so keep watching the forums daily and eventually you will see it out.

3. How to vote maps into a server
To vote a map into a server you would need to first send it to the server like so: "/sendmap mapname", following by then voting the actual map like so: "/mode (ctf, tdm, lss, etc) mapname. Heed that some servers do not accept any map votes at all.

4. Putting bots into a a map
Don't do this if the map is already in the official maps list...
In Singleplayer vote the map you want the bots to play on. Type "/mode 7" (this selects the mode that will be used in the next map you vote. "Mode 7" means Bot Team Deathmatch, so you can also type "/mode 8", which that means Bot Deathmatch. I'm not sure which mode is Bot One Shot One Kill though).
After that simply type /map mapname making the map with the mode you just chose load. The only thing you will be missing there is the bots, even though the mode will be there. Then type "/addbot CLA" (here you can type either CLA or RVSF, depending on what team you want team you want the bot to be in. If you want to be more specific about the bot you can also add "/addbot CLA best Roger". This would make the bot with "best" skill and name him Roger. Just keep repeating this command until you can enough bots in each team to try the map out.

Try these useful bot commands that can as well be useful from time to time when playing with bots:
/botsshoot 1 or 0 <- this command helps you control the bots of whether you want them to shoot or not. 1 makes them shoot, and 0 disables them from shooting.

/idlebots 1 or 0 <- this command helps you control the bots of whether you want them to be moving around or make them freeze in their spot. 1 makes them freeze, and 0 makes them keep moving.

Hope this was helpful.
Thanks given by:
that helped a lot thank you. is it possible to play ctf with bots in single player?
Thanks given by:
One change to make:
Name the bot |BC|Wolf. It helps the self-esteem. Can't frag that guy otherwise. :D
And bots are not yet intelligent enough to play CTF. But it's coming soon! ^_^
Thanks given by:
i have two maps just cubed out with no lighting or map models yet and it is saying they don't meet requisites. is there anything i can do to figure out why they won't work aside from waiting till 1.1.0.4?

the only thing i can think of is both levels of is i have a hallway in both that is made of raised platforms. its not to long or much of the map but it is effective two stories. could that be causing my problem?

if i was to post them somewhere or send them to some of you could anybody tell me what the problems are?
Thanks given by:
Can someone please find for me thread where Brahma explained the exact map restrictions and sticky it? I can't find it. :(
Thanks given by:
i have found a few and they have vague wording such as no big open spaces.... if we could get these very exact it would help a lot. I have maps that have open spaces that don't seem bigger than some of the official maps open spaces. but aren't playable. i think it may be a ceiling height or over all vertical issue as i like to have elevation changes... but my maps are by no means outrageous and seem about the same as official levels...
one map giving me trouble is a underground military base.... please help.

is it 30 cubes up from the floor? or could i have 15 cubes up from the floor and 15 cubes below the floor in dug out trenches? i hope you understand what i am asking but is it just 30 cubes max?

maybe the editor should be set up to only let u work in the required space.
Thanks given by:
Is this the thread you meant V-Man, specifically this post?
Thanks given by:
<3 thanks Jamz.
I thought it would be the main post, perhaps that's where I went wrong. XD
Thanks given by: