Epic.Jason's script
This late afternoon we had a couple of games on THEHUB and someone noticed that the player Epic.Jason was using a script that (if I understood well) was disconnecting (and then reconnecting) him as soon as his health was dropping below a certain amount (I am not sure that this was the actual way the thing was working).

This to me sounds like altering the results (at least your ratio). Jason started saying that other scripts are allowed. I asked him if he thought that the thing was fair, and he agreed that it wasn't, but that it was *legal*, since there are many others scripts that give advantage (his words). He also stated that he was merely testing it (and a ladder server doesn't look the appropriate place to do that)

In a nutshell, I didn't ban him but I asked him to come here and explain to you what he was using. And I hope that the other players that followed the discussion (Vault above all) can come and help out too.

Tx

Thanks given by:
Again it wasn't when my health dropped below a certain amount it was when I pressed a key, just to clarify, and when I died. This can be used to alter your ratio if you use it whiles you are alive.

e.g. /bind l [connect idis.woop.us 8040]

Other scripts are allowed, obviously certain people frown upon them and others say, it's part of them game, for example the infamous sniper/pistol script, and things such as rapid fire. All of these are lame, and give a slight advantage. People still use them. Obviously I do not disagree that it is very lame. I do not however call it 'illegal'.

I have spoken to Larry about it and we said many times that we should go say something to the dev's (we're just too lazy...)

I would also like to point out you can do it via menu as well, due to when you click on multiplayer it automatically highlights the previous server you selected. So you can just press > esc > enter > enter > enter, in an instant.

I stopped as soon as you saw it to be an issue, yet obviously you and your fellow friend (Vault) wanted to make something out of it time and time after I made my points, which I did find slightly aggressive and not collected.

I will refrain from using it again.

My apologies, and regards.
Jason.
Thanks given by:
Jason, as u could see, I do not take precipitous decision and I let you keep on playing. And I am not aggressive at all ( I am sorry if I sounded: not my intention). But I think that this deserves a judgment from someone more experienced then me. That's all.
Thanks given by:
I was there and however I do think it is unfair but I don't think a blacklist is a suitable punishment, perhaps removing his ladder scores for the games in which he used it?
Thanks given by:
(10 Oct 10, 07:38PM)AidanJRx Wrote: I was there and however I do think it is unfair but I don't think a blacklist is a suitable punishment, perhaps removing his ladder scores for the games in which he used it?

Even though it doesn't effect scores unless you really abuse it, aka rejoin/dc in one life over and over...

But whatever :)

Thanks given by:
This exploit is used for a long time in this game, and the solution is very simple: increase the death score (or reduce one frag), when the player disconnects. I proposed this long ago, but I found incredible resistance to this.

Previously this "feature" was even more unfair, since the reconnecting guy would not need to wait to normal respawn time!!

Anyway, the server owners can discount some points of these guys in their ladders if they want... but I am not sure if they will consider this as a great issue. (Personally I do).

Thanks given by:
(10 Oct 10, 07:41PM)Jason Wrote:
(10 Oct 10, 07:38PM)AidanJRx Wrote: I was there and however I do think it is unfair but I don't think a blacklist is a suitable punishment, perhaps removing his ladder scores for the games in which he used it?

Even though it doesn't effect scores unless you really abuse it, aka rejoin/dc in one life over and over...

But whatever :)

Well I pay too much attention to others in game, get too much into my own. I just saw you reconnect a few times:P

Thanks given by:

Yeah, like I wanted to wait 5 seconds :P
Thanks given by:
My basic scripting ethic is, if it ever annoys, dont use it. However, I have never ran across something this obviously obstructing. I am deeply saddened that scripting would ever be used like this. Shame on you.
Thanks given by:
your an asshole for using it.

MOD EDIT: This is a valid script, so it is not illegal. Do not use offenses as arguments here.
Thanks given by:
not a sportive attitude......
i have played some players in match that were using this kind of things to defend their flags.....
my solution was stop match and leave server.

if i'm in public server and i have admin,i simply ask to the guy to stop it if he don't i kick him,if he come back and continue,temporary ban.

we play a game have fun and respect opponant or........cya
Thanks given by:
I tend to trust Jason and I believe he will not use it again: he admitted with no problem that he was using it and he stopped using it as soon as we asked him. Then he came here and discussed it. This is a positive and honest attitude that has to be rewarded, even if *against* him is the fact that he was using in a pub referring to the ladder.
Thanks given by:
I trust that Jason will use better sense with his scripts again. I have made mistakes.
I'm not sure why, but I consider that an exploitation of cubescript, which I am strictly against. However, I hear that you are a good scripter, and want to talk with you ;)
#Cubescript
irc://irc.gamesurge.net/cubescript
(I think thats right...)

Make sure you test on a private server next time...
Thanks given by:
I look down on you like the Chinese did to the Japanese before/during WW2.
Thanks given by:
Yep, again I apologise for the use of it.

I did not realise it was such a controversial thing, really again am very sorry for any harm I made, I'm just glad you're all reasonable people here.

And in practice next time I want to test or try something I'll make sure to find an empty server and grab a mate.

(Also I am sorry for being so lame and not reading the server rules.)
Thanks given by:
(10 Oct 10, 07:07PM)Jason Wrote: and things such as rapid fire. All of these are lame, and give a slight advantage. People still use them. Obviously I do not disagree that it is very lame. I do not however call it 'illegal'.

The only rapidfire script I know of is the screenshot script.

The script you have described is circumventing a gameplay feature, the five second respawn delay in flag modes. It is also dis/connect spam for which people have been temporarily banned.
Thanks given by:
(11 Oct 10, 08:04PM)Mael Wrote:
(10 Oct 10, 07:07PM)Jason Wrote: and things such as rapid fire. All of these are lame, and give a slight advantage. People still use them. Obviously I do not disagree that it is very lame. I do not however call it 'illegal'.

The only rapidfire script I know of is the screenshot script.

The script you have described is circumventing a gameplay feature, the five second respawn delay in flag modes. It is also dis/connect spam for which people have been temporarily banned.

I know of a few rapid fire scripts. But I believe they require external scripts to work.

Correction, can be done in cubescript^. Just not for pistol :P
Thanks given by:
Wait so it worked ? lol just wondering. It was a smart idea.
Thanks given by:
(12 Oct 10, 04:37AM)bballn45 Wrote: Wait so it worked ? lol just wondering. It was a smart idea.

Yes, yes it did.
Thanks given by:
While the possibility of a script or other function of the game exists, its mere existence is not a basis on which to decide whether it is legal or not. This is the realm of what are known as exploits: aspects of the game which, due to their unintended existence, are unknown or unused by most other players and which cause unintended results (in this case, a clear and distinct advantage in score and spawn time).
So yeah, it is possible to do that, but its legality is up to server owners.
As you can see from the general response, the community tends to frown upon any sort of exploit whatsoever, regardless of how particular server owners feel about it.
Generally: if it is not officially documented, disrupts normal gameplay, and/or gives you a clear and distinct advantage over other players, best leave it alone.
Thanks given by: