Adding Bots To Multiplayer Game
Hi guys,

I'm new to assault cube and I was wondering if it was possible to add bots into a lan game. I have only one friend playing and was wondering if I could add bots into the game to make it more exciting. (2 v 2 or something)

Thanks lots,
Zack
Thanks given by:
I have the same wish.

Zarj is preparing some re-making of the bot paradigm/codes, so he will be the voice in this issue.

The main problem we do not have bots in multiplayer is that bot is client side stuff, and the server was created as a simple multiplexer (tbh, I do not know what this means, but I saw flowtron saying this... so...).
I do not think it is difficult to put the bots in server side, but you need some time, code skills and work to do this.

Maybe in the future, with some cleanup of the AC code this can become true.
Thanks given by:
In Sauer bots are auto added to "balance teams"
Maybe Cube 2 engine will give some hints
Thanks given by:
Yes, I am planning on working on the bots, but I'm very busy this semester, so not anytime soon.
And as Brahma said, the AC source code is a mess... :/
Thanks given by:
For simple LAN use wouldn't it be simpler to leave the server code untouched and create "dummy clients" that connect to the server like normal client, except these are computer controlled?

Just an idea I came up with the other day... I've been thinking about this too :p
Thanks given by:
oh man!

Alright! THanks guys for the help!

Thanks,
Zack
Thanks given by:
The problem with client-side bots, JMM, is that someone can then modify them for their own evil purposes. As well, its better to have them controlled by the server, so that they aren't affected by lag from any clients. Admittedly, neither of these are really a problem for LANs, but when bot server code needs to be written anyways for internet servers ... might as well use the same for LAN (that is, if/when the code finally does get written).
Thanks given by:
Once one guy coded a bot in server side... the bot just stand there, and when someone tried to kill the bot, the bot simply headshotted the guy :P... so, bots in server side can also be an evil thing!
(Obviously, today we will quickly ban the server)
Thanks given by:
I thought about bots for cheat detection... (wall hacks mostly) It was, if this bot dies, then the offender gets banned. This bot would only be in impossible, yet close, to get areas. Like a ghost. This would be ineffective for many reasons, so dont go pointing them out to me.
Obviously I know nothing, and your cheat detection works better Brahma.
Thanks given by:
how many lines of code is assault cube.. and where do you find it ?
Thanks given by:
(13 Oct 10, 12:31AM)mikebefore Wrote: how many lines of code is assault cube.. and where do you find it ?
many.. sourceforge
Thanks given by:
you count the lines of code as files of code.
Thanks given by:
Browse the source or download the 1103 source for yourself.
Thanks given by:
Adding to Ronald's idea that seems great but will never happen...You could have a ghost bot or two underground in the map far away from regular player damage and when they get killed by bots then the killer gets banned? Eh. I think the new auto anti cheat works fine
Thanks given by:
cool, i never knew about this.
i would like to try and support, but i am some what noob tbh
Thanks given by:
IMO, bots will need to be intelligent enough to play CTF before they'll be ready for multiplayer. But I would really like to see both. :D
Thanks given by:
bots still can't pick up and use grenades or change to knife or pistol right ?
Thanks given by:
Just because we never put an IF there to do it.
Thanks given by: