Poll: How the bright skin issue should be regulated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
should be completely blocked (this is against the current modding guidelines, so we would need to change the official rules)
40.21%
39 40.21%
should be just filtered to make the game more even. So people who do not want to sacrifice graphics quality will not be negatively affected
24.74%
24 24.74%
should not be touched... let the people play with the tools they want, found and are able to produce
35.05%
34 35.05%
Total 97 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Bright skins filtering or blocking
i don't even know how you can consider keeping them.
im even more disgusted that 24 people f1'd keeping them. they make sniping so much easier, it improves your reflexes alot so you can hit before your opponent can.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jun 10, 03:34PM)Lightning Wrote: So tell me, do you plan on banning scripts too? I mean, not everyone can make a script.

Yes, everyone can. There's nothing but ignorance stopping you from making a script, just like there's nothing but ignorance stopping you from using MS Paint to make brightskins. There's always a million reasons not to do something, but sooner or later someone says "Fuck it", ponies up, and does it.

(27 Jun 10, 03:34PM)Lightning Wrote: Even after all this, at the end of the day, the game is to have fun. You can't have fun if you ragequit all the time, so brightskins increases your skill by what, 0.5%?

Do not make up statistics. These are not legitimate arguments.
Thanks given by:
I say filter as long as the filter reduces brightness to normal so no matter what texture or skins you use they will always produce equal results.
Thanks given by:
I think it shouldnt be touched, do what you want :d

Off-topic: Hehe Brahma i like the thing that stands under youre name :d
Thanks given by:
Hey... This is AssaultCube!
What really drew me to this game is being able to make scripts and modify things and basically customize everything to my own preferences.
Sure, I don't use brightskins, they're ugly and I think of them as training wheels. But I don't have a problem with letting the little tykes ride with us big boys, either. :-P

I like the way the filter looks, I'd say go with that. It softens the contrast, which seems to be the key point of the issue. Softening the contrast obtained by brightskins will quell the complaints on that side while at the same time preserving AssaultCube's unique customization philosophy.
Thanks given by:
Personally I don't like to see brightskins being used. It forces everyone to use them and make the game ugly if they want to compete. If the modding guidelines prevent the blocking of their use, then they should at least be made easily available to everyone to prevent some people with extra knowledge having an advantage.
Thanks given by:
I dunno -- I'm pretty sure none of us DES have brightskins, and I'd say we compete just fine without 'em.
Thanks given by:
You need to make a choice were to head with ac, a fun public game were everyone just fucks around abit in weird maps or a fast paced competitive ctf game (which you should totaly go for imo). In that cause bright skins would be usefull, becuase you can spot the enemy faster = faster action.

and the game is ugly (compared to modern games) and unrealistic already, but thats good because gameplay is more important.
Thanks given by:
brightskins doesn't help with fps (seriously, i used this in the past and only low res is good enough to get a smooth fps) and brightskins brings you much advantage against who doesn't use it...
Thanks given by:
You know, just as a suggestion, why don't you reduce the colour saturation as well? From my knowledge of colour mixing, reducing brightness would still have a rather sharp contrast. All we need to do is calculate the average & maximum saturation of the image and adjust accordingly.
Thanks given by:
Half of the voters wish to play with anything you can produce.
Thats a bit sad.
Thanks given by:
Not half... In fact, about one third wants it.
And two thirds are against it.... or by blocking it completely (majority), or just filtering to remove the unexpected advantages.

Well... we could set up the filter to "almost block it".
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 10, 04:10PM)Brahma Wrote: Well... we could set up the filter to "almost block it".
No, it would be totally unfair.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 10, 04:10PM)Brahma Wrote: Not half... In fact, about one third wants it.
And two thirds are against it.... or by blocking it completely (majority), or just filtering to remove the unexpected advantages.

Well... we could set up the filter to "almost block it".

Let's do a summary:
1. The majority has voted for an option which is currently not available and never will be, cause it's hard to check (or nearly impossible) the integrity of the resources on the client side. I guess this fact is unknown to many voters of this option.

2. The technical solution to filter is supported only of the minority all voters.

3. Installing a filter means ignoring the votes of the first and third group who both are bigger than the supporters of the filter technique and who both deny the filter.

Therefore it is probably better to close this thread, cause it isn't impossible to install the solution the most people want to see anyway to this point of time. As I said in the IRC a few days before this dicussion becomes useless in my opinion
Thanks given by:
There is something wrong with your summary, Apollo...

1. Two thirds of the voters are against the brightskins... and the majority wants it blocked. It can be really blocked in the official client.... if the player change it, he will produce a "cheating client", and it will be another issue, not related *only* to brightskins.

2. *Just filtering* is supported by the minority of the voters... but the filter itself can be used to *block*... so, the filter satisfies both those who want to block it, as well those who want to reduce it.

3. Your third item is deceiving... since (must probably) you did not understand the full capabilities of the filter.
Thanks given by:
Ok... this is the filter working in "blocking mode".
Do you see difference from teamdisplaymode 2?

[Image: brightskins-reduced-to-teamdisplaymode2.jpg] "blocked"
[Image: teamdisplaymode2.jpg] teamdisplaymode 2
[Image: teamdisplaymode1.jpg] teamdisplaymode 1
[Image: brightskins.jpg] brightskins
Thanks given by:
Basicly, no... They have the same lightness, haven't they?
Thanks given by:
* V-Man gg
Thanks given by:
how is that blocked? isnt that just filtered?
Thanks given by:
it blocks the effects of brightskins, namely elevated contrast.
Thanks given by:
Wow that works great. I would even say they are at somewhat of a disadvantage with the filtering.
Thumbs Up. ;)
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-112-post-...ml#pid2320

Is the solution to this problem that should be built into 1.1 IMO. Great work here Brahma. :D

People should be encouraged to play with fair game media, and this does exactly that. You can still have your brightskins, you just won't be able to catch us as quickly as you were able to before. ;)

Edit: for V-Man -

Time to take them training wheels off boys!

:D:D:D

Another edit:

To anyone who wants to argue that AssaultCube *needs* brightskins for the "competitive" side of AC, you should really consider this:

Competition in a first person shooter *should* involve who has the best aim, reaction time, and strategies - NOT who has THE BEST/MOST unfair/advantageous mods installed. Mods does not = skill; seems like many people around here still have yet to learn that. :)
Thanks given by:
It's your opinion, not mine.
Thanks given by:
The creation of mods is a good indication of skill.
The exploitation of a mod someone else has made is selfish.
You do good job, Prime.
Thanks given by:
Quote:<Gibstick>It's all down to pickup timing, aim and movement
<DES|Bukz>or how many mods you can install on your copy of the game
is the current situation. We need to bring it back to the basics.
Thanks given by:
Negative, i've voted for the first option. also what sacerock said
Thanks given by: