Fedora setup woes
Okay.
Here's the thing. I am a Linux noob. And I know that's an unusual way to start a topic, but it's important for you to understand where I'm coming from here. I don't even know how to execute stuff from the terminal, but nevertheless I tried to setup Assaultcube on Fedora 13.

Right, and from the moment of extraction there's a great big glaring problem: Assaultcube.sh does not run. At all. Not even a cutesy error message, not even an idle process. 'Running from terminal' closes instantly and, yes, I have checked that all the required libraries are fully up to date.

EDIT: I've cut the rest of the post because I've managed to get the terminal to stay open. It complains that it is 'Unable to create OpenGL screen (Couldn't find matching GLX visual)'. Surely if I can run Sauerbraten on maximum settings, OpenGL is functioning perfectly? So why is it doing this?
Thanks given by:
Quote:'Running from terminal' closes instantly

How about, open terminal manually, navigate to the directory where assaultcube is, and then run the shell script.

Use "cd DIRECTORY" to navigate. Use ../ to go backwards a directory when navigating.
Use "sh assaultcube.sh" to run ac.
Thanks given by:
Same problem as before. I already fixed this in the 'edit', it's an OpenGL problem, something about GLX
Thanks given by:
Anyone help? No?

I mean, seriously, how hard can it be to get one of the most popular open-source games on the net to work with a common and completely functioning Linux distro?
Thanks given by:
You need to post here the error messages...
Run it in the terminal and copy the messages here.
Thanks given by:
op stated that terminal reported: ***Unable to create OpenGL screen (Couldn't find matching GLX visual)***

Thanks given by:
ATI?
nVidia?

*Whats the output of
glxinfo | grep -i opengl
?
*Run in Terminal.
Thanks given by:
What 3D drivers do you have installed? Make/model of graphics card?
Thanks given by:
It's a NVIDIA 6800GT... old but perfectly functional and using the drivers as specified by the Fedora FAQ. So far it's worked fine with all the 3D applications I've used.

Terminal returns the following:

Quote:OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6800 GT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.53
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL extensions:

My apologies for my less-than patient attitude earlier... I was a bit frustrated with some other stuff.
Thanks given by:
I'll try a reinstall if all else fails - might just be a dodgy archive.

Nobody's explained the mysterious missing source files though.
Thanks given by:
Reinstalling is generally a "windows-only" solution and far less commonly fixes anything on *nix systems.
Thanks given by:
So that's it. No solution at all. Alright, fine.
Thanks given by:
Try changing the colour depth and see if this works.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLX_visual as to why I say this.
Thanks given by:
Interesting answer, I'll get back to it as soon as possible and see what I get out of it.
Thanks given by:
Right. How exactly would I actually go about changing the colour depth? There's nothing in the monitor options and I'm not sure if 'colour profiles' is actually related - in any case, changing these has no effect either.
Thanks given by:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=change+colour+depth+in+linux
Thanks given by:
If sauerbraten works on the hardware there's really no reason AssaultCube shouldn't - were you actually saying sauerbraten is working on the same installation, or just the same box (like e.g. in Windows, not Fedora!?).
Also - be sure the output of the following isn't empty:
glxinfo|grep -i glx
and maybe also check you have something like "nvidia-glx-???" in the output of this:
dpkg -l|grep glx
Thanks given by:
Sigh... okay, colour depth didn't work (as a matter of fact, it broke most of my X windows)

Sauer is running on the same setup, same O/S, same box.

The first command prints a load of nvidia-related rubbish, it seems all in order. However, the dpkg command doesn't register at all. Are you sure it's for Fedora?
Thanks given by:
Ah, no - it's not - it's for debian-based linux, sorry - check your installed packages for something with GLX in it .. but if the first one gave you non-empty output I guess it's ok.
ATM I'm quite at a loss - did you by-chance install some AC-package from your repository? If so - then that's the problem!! You did say "extraction", so that sounded like you got the install-package from the projects sourceforge.net download-page - as you should.
You may be missing some other libraries though, possibly OpenAL - check out the wiki-page and please give us any helpful information to make it less Ubuntu/Debian-centric if you can: ACwiki:Linux Support
Thanks given by:
The F13 package manager is pretty low on games... no AC, no Sauerbraten, no Tremulous, etc - so normally I skip on it. And yes, I downloaded from your sourceforge page.

I've installed all the libraries that AC requires and updated them to their most recent release - it still fails to start.

This is a shot in the dark here, but if I boot into run level 3 (without initialising X) will it run without making a GLX visual? It seems largely to be a problem with the custom NVIDIA drivers you need to install for the 6800GT - I have a completely different graphics management system because of them - so I was thinking that if it's a problem with X, it could probably run if I went without it?
Thanks given by:
That would definitely be worth trying.
Thanks given by:
Xytanx: that won't work AFAIK, because there won't be a screen-instance (read: windowmanager) the application can attach itself too - from where it would spawn the SDL/OpenGL window.
And again: it can't really be your graphics at fault either, since you say sauerbraten runs fine - AssaultCube uses the graphics basically in the same way, just much less so, as Sauerbraten does.
Your issue must be some place else.
I know you posted the "couldn't find matching GLX visuals" bit on your first post - but giving us the full output of your startup-log (use a pastebin) could possibly show up other (read: the real) problem.
Have you also tried removing your init.cfg from inside ~/.assaultcube_v1.1/config and running with added "-t" parameter (no quotes) to the assaultcube.sh !?!

A couple of "total shot in the dark" things here:
lsmod |grep nvidia
Assuming "lsmod" exists on Fedora; what I mean to ask is: is the propietary nvidia driver actually loaded. Usually (unless the X config includes the logo-hiding option) you should see an NVidia logo when X starts.

Also, you're absolutely sure you're not trying to start the game as some other user?!
Because the only times your system - it's not AC that's giving out that message! - complains about not being able to find matching visuals is when the user calling an non-CLI-but-X application hasn't got a matching X session running (see above). This either means the driver doesn't support it (but earlier checks in this thread lead me to believe you're fine there) or simply because it's not the user logged into the X-Session .. but that would require you doing extra stuff which I'd be wondering why you would .. but hey, funnier stuff has been known to happen.

As a final thought - you might be victim of the dreaded libjpeg.so.8 bug, which is addressed around the 2nd code block in the first 1.1-release-thread.
Thanks given by:
lsmod prints the following:
nvidia              10197864  48
i2c_core               20553  2 nvidia,i2c_viapro

Okay... I've found a workaround. It's not pretty - in fact, it's ugly and I'm not in the slightest bit proud of it - but I can run the Windows executable under WINE. No sound, though.
Thanks given by: