Poll: Should this flag Ciclon scored count?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, there was lag but it should still count
33.33%
7 33.33%
Yes, there was not lag
9.52%
2 9.52%
No, the lag should disallow it
47.62%
10 47.62%
No, there was not lag
0%
0 0%
Other, please explain
9.52%
2 9.52%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should this flag count?
(03 Sep 11, 11:08AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(03 Sep 11, 06:55AM)castiel Wrote: Can the server detect when the person is lagging? i.e if it receives no packets for X amount of time?

If so it should simply:
- Store the players last known position before the lag
- Wait until the player is steadily sending packets again
- Restore the players position before they were lagging

It might cause a bit of jumpiness on the laggers side, but they should not be able to simply lag in and out of the oppositions base.

Also it would be really nice if we differentiated between high ping and lagging. 99% of european idiots believe having ping > 100 is lagging because we do not live next to their servers, even though you can still maintain a steady PJ and play fairly.

I don't think the server has to have knowledge of when a player is lagging to stop players when they are. It can simply be fixed client side by disallowing players that haven't communicated with the server in 0.5 seconds firing or walking.

High ping players are lagging just by definition (their high ping literally means they are lagging behind the current state of the game). But all these terms are used roughly. High ping players are also not entirely fair because they enable tactics like keeping them on defense where they tend to be more successful (that is, because they are high ping both players will tend to take more damage in an encounter so there is a higher chance their opponent will be killed even if they die too).

In fact, for that reason alone it's possible to get a slight 1-2 bullet advantage when you need it most. And there is no fix for it that would otherwise give high-pinged players an even footing. If the game were to disallow dead players from registering further damage laggers would suddenly perform very poorly, the alternative is that a well-coordinated team can take more benefits than weaknesses from lag.

Just to clarify there are four main decisions that can be changed:
  • Hit registration fixes -- already in SVN
  • Disabling further movement when lagged out -- most people seem to think it's a good idea and I can't see any real negatives
  • Disabling ghost mode; instead just allow players to kill players that are lagging out -- again I don't see why the game should promise anything to players that are lagging out
  • Disallowing dead players from shooting -- would likely be too unfair on high-ping players

How can a server stop players where they are if it cannot communicate with them?

If dead players were not able to register damage then the whole game would revolve around lowest ping = best player. If we had servers everywhere around every country this would make sense, but when it is a worldwide game it would ruin majority of the players who don't live next to a server.

(03 Sep 11, 01:25PM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: @ castiel

Calling a whole continent idiots want make you a better person in any way.
Calling a whole continent that can be seen as a racist comment and that no one wanna read on this forum.

So, can you think the next time you try to make a point and stop with this shitty behavior.

I never said I'm a better person than anybody else?

1) Europe is not a race? And if you are willing to define it as such then I am also from Europe so am being racist towards myself
2) Majority of complainers are from Europe, disagree if you will but everybody knows it's true
3) It's ok for everybody to go around saying "Aussies are shi**y laggers!" but not for me to say that Europeans are annoying for their narrow minded perception?

I am not disagreeing that lag can change a game BUT it happens and can happen to anybody regardless of where they live and it's just a part of the game...
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Should this flag count? - by Roflcopter - 02 Sep 11, 07:10PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by jamz - 02 Sep 11, 07:59PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by Roflcopter - 02 Sep 11, 08:35PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by Lantry - 02 Sep 11, 09:05PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by Roflcopter - 02 Sep 11, 09:30PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by V-Man - 02 Sep 11, 11:14PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by DES|Anderson - 02 Sep 11, 11:26PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by cOGhost - 02 Sep 11, 11:39PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by V-Man - 02 Sep 11, 11:44PM
RE: Should this flag count? - by cOGhost - 03 Sep 11, 12:12AM