Poll: How the bright skin issue should be regulated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
should be completely blocked (this is against the current modding guidelines, so we would need to change the official rules)
40.21%
39 40.21%
should be just filtered to make the game more even. So people who do not want to sacrifice graphics quality will not be negatively affected
24.74%
24 24.74%
should not be touched... let the people play with the tools they want, found and are able to produce
35.05%
34 35.05%
Total 97 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Bright skins filtering or blocking
(24 Jun 10, 05:00PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Some mappers keep map areas rather dark on purpose, for various reasons and also in order to allow for a certain gameplay. Extremely bright skins will give unfair advantage to their users, since no matter how dark, they will be able to see players in those spot.

This is the reason I play this game. Ty, Mr.Floppy!

(24 Jun 10, 04:20PM)Lightning Wrote: I do not agree with the 'let the people play with the tools they want, found and are able to produce'.

Allow the bright skin as it is, but do not allow people to use any tool they find is not reasonable, Lightning... even more you arguing you *do not use* it... If you do not use, why care? Are you just flaming?
Formulate better your arguments, please.

(24 Jun 10, 04:43PM)François Wrote: What about the players that use a way too high /gamma ?
Mr.Floppy already replied to this question in a high level... but I will reproduce what it was said on IRC too:
"Gamma has nothing to do with this issue... i guess you still did not understand the bright skin effect
the point is the relative brightness"
Drakas Wrote:the contrast between things is the significant part
if you make everything brighter, it'll all be brighter
but if you make only one bit brighter, then only that bit will be brighter, and so make it easier to difference out

(24 Jun 10, 04:43PM)François Wrote: Brightskins doesn't modify the gameplay

Any unexpected advantage changes the gameplay... some of them cannot be fixed, like a good hardware versus a bad hardware, but all software related advantages must be checked by the devs.

Quote:And no one can deny that it can help the really old computer users running the game fluidly

I can. I tested to change only the player skins, and my FPS (which is around 75 in ac_complex) did not changed a single point. You are intentionally ignoring my first argument in this thread: "Note that the low res textures, i.e., reducing the resolution of the map textures really produces a gain of FPS, but as some people may argue in their defense, changing only the skin of the players do not produce a better FPS."

(24 Jun 10, 05:13PM)pakit Wrote: vote is cool :) but maybe only 2 choice was better :)
did the first and second category will be count together? because someone who's ok to block will be ok to filter more than let it be?

You are right up to some extent, pakit. Two options would be better... but as far there are people that would really vote for a blocker, I thought this would be important to check.
Anyway, the result of the poll will take into account the not only this, but also the arguments people are posting.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Bright skins filtering or blocking - by Brahma - 24 Jun 10, 04:03PM
RE: Bright skins filtering or blocking - by Brett - 24 Jun 10, 04:43PM
RE: Bright skins filtering or blocking - by Brahma - 24 Jun 10, 05:47PM