Ideas
couple seconds after ventex idea is a win.

Thanks given by:
What Ventex said is brilliant.
Thanks given by:
This thread for say ideas of mods?
HD-realistic textures of weapons?
Thanks given by:
Disallow the entrance of any modified client into any server.
Thanks given by:
(27 Aug 11, 07:25AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Disallow the entrance of any modified client into any server.

This is quite a good idea, ac client shouldn't be open to modifications, through this we would have far less cheaters than we do right now.
Thanks given by:
(27 Aug 11, 07:45AM)Z-karIuS Wrote:
(27 Aug 11, 07:25AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Disallow any modified client
less cheaters

does this include different skins and sounds, or aesthetic scripts (like hit counters)?
Thanks given by:
I'm no scripter, but from what I understand, it won't work.

If it's some type of "unedited clients return a 1, and edited clients return a 0 and get banned", then the cheat makers will script it so the the client will return a 1 anyway.
Thanks given by:
(27 Aug 11, 09:14AM)Sonic Wrote:
(27 Aug 11, 07:45AM)Z-karIuS Wrote:
(27 Aug 11, 07:25AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Disallow any modified client
less cheaters

does this include different skins and sounds, or aesthetic scripts (like hit counters)?
No...

Thanks given by:
It's changes to the source that change what the client returns.
Thanks given by:
Yes cheaters use modified clients quite often, but so do regular players that enjoy using non-advantageous modifications to the release binary. I'm not saying that this idea should not be implemented, but I am saying that we have to be very careful about deciding. If we block them all, we could possibly lose some players.

Not all client modifications are cheaters hoping to gain advantage over the rest of the players out there. Remember that AC is open source and this means people can and will modify it.

The better solution in my opinion, is to fix/update the anti-cheat on the servers.
Thanks given by:
Orynge is right. Have a modified client "number" implies that you don't have a binary identical client but it can't prove that the client is a cheat, per se. On the other hand, having a non-modified client "number" doesn't imply anything. There aren't really any pluses to blocking clients that identify themselves as modified unless you suspect that a higher proportion of those clients that identify as modified are in fact cheating. That may seem likely, but I have heard most modern hacks, such as the current DXT hacks, don't identify as modified. jamz is probably in a better position to comment about that than me though.
Thanks given by:
I know that the topic of transparent/translucent objects is a few pages past and that there was little reason to implement it, but couldn't you make an object look translucent simply by having it rendered only every other frame (or every third, fourth, etc.). IIRC the biggest problem with transparent objects was that you have to worry about the order things are rendered, and this method would remove that problem.
Thanks given by:
It flickers in a dastardly annoying manner. Check out "ghost gun" in the rave script collection.

(Line 24 of rave.cfg)
Thanks given by:
(29 Aug 11, 02:18AM)Lantry Wrote: ...

That wouldn't give the effect it was transparent and will just flicker. However, you could theoretically render two frames, one with and without the object, and accumulate them using OpenGL's glAccum. It's not really practical though since it requires twice the rendering.

One method for rendering transparent objects is to render them last sorting them based on their depth, furthest away first. That involves sorting all transparent objects in a scene by their distance away from the camera. The distance away from the camera is just the vector norm of the object's position and the camera's position and is fast to compute, but sorting a lot of transparent objects takes O(n log n) time naively. But since the order of objects doesn't change much from each frame to the next, using a sorting algorithm particularly effective for partially sorted data could yield an average case O(n) algorithm.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 11, 06:51PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: Could a mdlshadowdir be anyhow implemented? it is pretty much annoying when shadow direction is in contradiction with skymap or goes into walls instead.
Seems my question went unnoticed and discussion went straight to another subject so I'll ask again since this buggers me a lot:

Could a mdlshadowdir be anyhow implemented? it is pretty much annoying when shadow direction is in contradiction with skymap or goes into walls instead.

Thanks given by:
In the CFG?

_______

Alow some commands in the cfg (like sleep, or light etc) to add some light effects (fire effect/bad light bulb...)

Should give an awesome feel for a map.
Thanks given by:
I don't know if someone came up with this idea already or if it's possible, I thought it would be nice if the information of minutes remaing of a certain map / made could be added to the masterserver So while someone is browsing the servers he could easily figure out if it's still worth to connect to a server for playing a map / mode he likes.

Why would that feature be handy? Well, I need to explain that by showing the way I decide to which server I connect.

When I was playing in AC version 1.0 I mostly played a lot on high-skill servers and since there were restrictions concerning voting I stayed on a server mostly for a couple of games because I liked the "classic" maps.

Now it's different. I mostly play on the TyD ladder servers but I don't like their map-rotation all in all. That's why I often switch servers to play maps and modes I also like (for instance TDM Toxic or CTF Mines).

Another reason is that I got to know the game better and decide carefully to which servers I connect. I really like that servers are listed concerning the ping on the masterserver list, so if I play early in the morning or late in the evening I can easily spot servers with aight pings for me - I'm European, so I don't have a ping problem mostly :) -

So 1st ping, then I glance at map / modes I like. Thirdly, I have a look on the maximum number of players a server allows, I usually don't play on servers with more then 14 slots.

And then I would care about the minutes remaining...

Long post, but I wanted to make clear why the implementation of this feature would be nice :)
Thanks given by:
I believe this is already in AC. Lemme check and get back to you.
Thanks given by:
(29 Aug 11, 05:36PM)Aight Wrote: [...]
Just press F8 when in the server browser window, and the minutes remaining will show in parentheses :)

Thanks given by:
(29 Aug 11, 10:35PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Just press F8 when in the server browser window, and the minutes remaining will show in parentheses :)

Thnks, I obviously didn't know that (I had a keybind for F8, it's removed now xD)
Thanks given by:
Death entity.
Thanks given by:
Um, damage entity would be much better. So you can make slow or fast deads.
For example, poison river = slow, but electronic fance= Instagib ;)

And what we reeeeeeaaaaaly really need, is a button entity. For example, if the player is near this entity = Play animation 1.
Could be used for maaaany things, like a wall, that destructs itself, or a candle, that goes out and on......
Thanks given by:
^: Shouldn't be implemented in multiplayer, IMO.
Thanks given by:
(01 Aug 11, 11:03PM)Mael Wrote: Menu listing servers previously connected to.
/reconnect to last server played on.

okay, here's my reconnect script for 1104. Requires tools.cfg.
addcheck_msa connectwrite

//reconnect script
alias "connectwrite" [
if ( = $connected 1 ) [              
   curserverip = (curserver 1)        
   curserverport = (curserver 3)      
]]
alias "reconnect" [
connect $curserverip $curserverport //
]
Thanks given by:
I like the textured clips idea. I thought of that once, but I didn't have enough ideas to support it.

Also, I have an idea for a rocket launcher. I had been thinking about it, and even drew diagrams. However, a midst all the pros and cons, there is one huge con, wolfbr. Noob spam.
However, it may not be so bad, as rockets require aim, and not all of them have a big radius.

If I see interest in the rocket (which I highly doubt from you guys XD), I'll make a thread, or a BIG post here.

Heehee
Thanks given by:
Have a way for the player to customize the x and y position of the hud items, and possibly their size too. Probably easiest done through a config, and we don't have enough configs yet anyway :D
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 04:58AM)Lantry Wrote: we don't have enough configs yet anyway :D

srsly.

Sounds like it could just be a few new settings, and you could put them in autoexec.cfg or even count on saved.cfg to remember them for you after setting them in a menu.
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 04:58AM)Lantry Wrote: Have a way for the player to customize the x and y position of the hud items, and possibly their size too. Probably easiest done through a config, and we don't have enough configs yet anyway :D

Hm, sorry, but this isnt possible. There are missing some polygons onto the weapon, and if you would change the x or y axis, Some parts of the weapon will get invisible :(
Thanks given by:
okay, maybe not the hudgun, but all the other things could be rearranged to wherever you want, e.g. radar in the top left, ammo on the right side, etc. the only things that wouldn't be able to be moved would be the hudgun, the crosshair ofc, and maybe a few other things like the scoreboard. Here is everything that could be moved, as I see it.

Team-Icon
Radar
Ammunition (possibly even move these separately from the weapon indicator)
Armour
Health
Player's Name
Flag Indicators
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 01:11PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: this isnt possible.

I wish people would contemplate the gravity of that term before using it.
Thanks given by: