Poll: Map-restriction?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
F1
43.55%
27 43.55%
F2
56.45%
35 56.45%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Map-restriction.
Are you FOR or AGAINST map-restriction and why?
Thanks given by:
F2'ed!
I'd be fine with them normally, but they are failing to get rid of the maps that everyone hates. And since the restrictions do screw over some ok, non-engine killing map ideas, they are evil until they can successfully kill @camper, etc.
Thanks given by:
I am FOR map restriction because I see it as a necessary part of fulfilling AC's mission: being able to be run on crappy hardware.

Along with why, I believe we should discuss just how strong these restrictions should be. 100% (only official maps), 0%(any map that can be made), or somewhere in between.

I think they should be strong enough to uphold AC's mission (as paraphrased above). Also, just like anticheat, the restrictions should be updated as new ways are found to circumvent them.
Thanks given by:
F1.

(28 May 11, 09:48PM)Mael Wrote: Allow all maps, but sort servers with amateur/broken maps/rotations into a hidden list. They'll still be in contact with the masterserver but the masterserver need not publicly condone poor gameplay. Players can still connect manually. Everyone gets to play whatever they want to play and the devs can maintain the gameplay they desire for their game.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 01:16AM)Nightmare Wrote: F2'ed!
I'd be fine with them normally, but they are failing to get rid of the maps that everyone hates. And since the restrictions do screw over some ok, non-engine killing map ideas, they are evil until they can successfully kill @camper, etc.

Exactly.
Thanks given by:
I abstain. There are pros and cons for anything, and this is a perfect example. While some bad maps are blocked from multiplayer games, players can't learn to map unless their [LOL]TOWERS!!! map is played online and they learn from feedback they are given. That's how I learned to map. These restrictions really depend upon the situation under which they are applied. When it comes down to it, I feel in my heart that they usually do what I would like them to, but in doing this also cause some collateral damage.

Regardless, this topic will be debated to death, and in true honesty, I say let the Devs decide what they think's best.
Thanks given by:
Useless thread #99283
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 07:41AM)Apollo{TyD} Wrote: Useless thread #99283

lol because you disagree with it its useless, ok.

F2. map restrictions only causes problems and i have never been in support of them.
Thanks given by:
Apollo, Define what makes a good map?
Thanks given by:
The map restrictions are being updated so they are not as useless as you're all making them out to be, btw. :)
Thanks given by:
You can add server command line switch, let server contributor to choose what he prefers, code commits will have sense then. By this switch you can add sorting to the server list. So then the custom maps which pass the quality restrictions can be up too. There are many solutions how to solve it and not to ban others.

F2, i don't want to read more threads about it.
Thanks given by:
(28 May 11, 09:48PM)Mael Wrote: Players can still connect manually.

Players who play on HeadshotCity don't know what is a connect. (as new mappers)

(06 Jun 11, 01:18AM)Lantry Wrote: I am FOR map restriction because I see it as a necessary part of fulfilling AC's mission: being able to be run on crappy hardware.

You can see the map name before going on the server.
If you see MEGATOWERS or GIBBCITY_WITH_LADDERS_!!! just don't clic and look after official maps.

Now my point: after this map-restriction , any new mappers will stop mapping cause the mapping evolution is based on coop&share.
When i started i made stairs on Ezjemvill (the first thing i made ever).

[Image: 20090510.jpg]

After that , i choose to make my first own map.
When i shared this , there were any light cause i didn't know how to save the fullbright. (lol)

[Image: 20090511.jpg]

I decided to make more serious map (by myself) so i tried to make like some oficial maps , i made ac_little_town (it was lagging i didn't know the "F" command in coopedit) I was really happy to make maps and have fun on with my mates (@DaylixX Spako...)

[Image: 28654620110606110026awlitlevillageTDM.jpg]

I tried to make better maps like aw_warfare , with a better gameplay , more fair bases , any secret passages etc...(coop with DaylixX and Spako AW)

[Image: 34926620110606110409awWarfareTDM.jpg]

We all decided to make a huger map with a lot of details on the desert theme and we made ac_sylang .(more expressive , better lights etc...)

[Image: 19331020110606110454acsylangTDM.jpg]

After that , i made a map alone , more detailled , mode work and a new theme , ac_warfare. The gameplay was an epic fail , huge only 2 ways etc.

[Image: 90878620110606110520acwarfareTDM.jpg]

I started mapping with Undead and we made ac_swamp , a lot of details , a little map but we worked a lot on the gameplay. Good lights and good use of mapmodels.

[Image: 93498520110606110537acswampTDM.jpg]

My last map , alone but with a lot of experience , ac_palenque , aztec-mayas theme , custom mapmodels from cube , cutom textures good lights (etc...) this map won the mapping contest.

[Image: 35887820110606110600acpalenqueTDM.jpg]

Conclusion : map-restriction on 1.0 , any ac_palenque ; ac_swamp etc...

Sorry for my English.

Thanks given by:
At the first times I didn't agree at all. I preferred to give freedom to any mapper with any size, quality or whatever with their own maps.

But I realized that, damn... Any new player who plays on EzJemCraps and TwinTowers can have a totally wrong idea of the game, so F1. Like Brett says, shit maps are still shit.
Thanks given by:
F2. Just because you don't like a map means jack shit, frankly. Other people will, and so other people should have the freedom to make whatever the hell they want. If someone makes a map I don't like I don't complain about it, I just don't play it.
Thanks given by:
imo new mapper gives up on mapping because his map doesnt fit the quality check the first time, would most likely havent become a very good mapper anyways, because the passion is missing. So the quality check can be like a small test too :)
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 04:28PM)Andrez Wrote: But I realized that, damn... Any new player who plays on EzJemCraps and TwinTowers can have a totally wrong idea of the game, so F1. Like Brett says, shit maps are still shit.

New players won't play ac_depot , they prefer begin by "noob maps" ("noob maps" why do we say "noob maps"? Maybe because it is maps for noobs.) , they are not searching serious, there aren't any competition , they just want fun fun fun!

(06 Jun 11, 05:03PM)Robtics Wrote: imo new mapper gives up on mapping because his map doesnt fit the quality check the first time, would most likely havent become a very good mapper anyways, because the passion is missing. So the quality check can be like a small test too :)

Sorry but , I failled at all tests.

(06 Jun 11, 04:11PM)Brett Wrote: F1
reason : shit maps are shit

I don't think all plops map can be played on 1.1 cause of map restriction.

Thanks given by:
I'd have to give a solid F2. It limits creativity; mapper is less likely to make a map that doesn't meet the requisites by considering that it could never be displaced on the MS.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 05:25PM).ExodusS* Wrote: New players won't play ac_depot , they prefer begin by "noob maps" ("noob maps" why do we say "noob maps"? Maybe because it is maps for noobs.) , they are not searching serious, there aren't any competition , they just want fun fun fun!

I wouldn't say so, there are people like me who when they started playing ac enjoyed official maps as well as 'nooby' one's, and in fact still do to this day. Also, everyone plays for the fun, not just the 'noob map' lovers. The problem is there are some very selfish people who think just because a map isn't their idea of fun then that map shouldn't be played on by anyone. Those people are the f1'ers in this thread.
Thanks given by:

WORD.

Thanks given by:
Yes, the map restrictions limit creativity, but only the really bad creativity (if there is such a thing). For example, when I started playing AC I liked maps like poolcarnage. for those of you who aren't familiar with this map, it is basically a swimming pool. Not exactly official map material, but still very fun and playable. What people don't understand is that restriction isn't the difference between "any maps you want" and "only official maps"; there are still a lot of maps that are very creative, yet fit perfectly within the requisites. For example, ARG coloseum and LAZERBEAM!!. LAZERBEAM!! is especially creative, as they did a neat thing with height fielding and water to make the floor look really trippy. Both of these maps fit within the requisites, yet are also very creative.
Tl;Dr version: map restrictions are not restrictions on creativity. If you take the time to download the maps i mentioned, you will see that this is true.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 05:56PM)Hellspell Wrote: The problem is there are some very selfish people who think just because a map isn't their idea of fun then that map shouldn't be played on by anyone. "Those people are the f1'ers in this thread."

You sure have no problem throwing around insults at people just because they disagree with you eh? Just because someone doesn't share the same views as yours, doesn't make them selfish - bad people. Lots of us have very legitimate reasons for supporting the map restrictions, that have nothing to do with what you seem to love accusing us all of. Some of us care for this game quite deeply and don't need idiots like yourself crying wolf everytime we don't agree with you.

Who ever said that these maps should never be played on by anyone? The discussion is about the quality of maps that appear on publically listed servers. Not what maps are good enough to be played on at all. Maybe you should do a bit more research into this subject and previous discussions the community has had about it, before you go on flinging poo. ;)

(02 May 11, 10:53PM)Mael Wrote: You want to shit on something why don't you make your way to the bathroom?

Kthxcomeagain.

Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 05:25PM).ExodusS* Wrote:

I don't think all plops map can be played on 1.1 cause of map restriction.

Well i can't speak for all plops, but I just tried plop 1-3 and 5 - and all of them are working well.

PS: So it seems to be quite possible to make "fun" or "training" maps, by allowing the (few) map requirements...
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 06:35PM)Bukz Wrote: You sure have no problem throwing around insults at people just because they disagree with you eh?
I was merely stating a fact. But if that insults you then fine, take it as an insult
(06 Jun 11, 06:35PM)Bukz Wrote: Who ever said that these maps should never be played on by anyone? The discussion is about the quality of maps that appear on publically listed servers

The discussion is whether or not you agree with having map restrictions. And what do map restrictions do? You guessed it! Stop people from playing on maps.
Thanks given by:
Since it was your opinion, it's not a fact. :)

The restrictions don't stop people from playing on maps. The restrictions stop people from playing on maps, on servers on the public MS. You know the one that is supposed to showcase the hard work of the dev team? Know the difference. ;)
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 06:57PM)Bukz Wrote: The restrictions don't stop people from playing on maps. The restrictions stop people from playing on maps, on servers on the public MS. You know the one that is supposed to showcase the hard work of the dev team? Know the difference. ;)

So what your saying is it stops people playing them damned near everywhere? Massive difference there.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 07:07PM)Hellspell Wrote: [Image: 2mqmc1z.gif]

I'm saying, if you all are so determined to play these kinda maps, there are other ways to do it (other than massacring our engine public-ally). But...work is hard I know. :D
Thanks given by:
"showcase the hard work of the dev team" :D

So the MS is only for your presentation of your great mapping skills, all other mappers should go out ?
Thanks given by:
Bukz ftw!
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 11, 07:39PM)Alien Wrote: So the MS is only for your presentation of your great mapping skills, all other mappers should go out ?

Is that what I said?

I love how everything said on these forums gets taken out of context.

Custom maps on the MS are fine, assuming the author(s) created it:

(05 Jun 11, 10:15AM)Bukz Wrote: ...understanding and respecting the limitations of this engine and the style of gameplay this game was meant to have.

Quote:<Bukz> theres a time and place for everything, and an open server listed on the public masterserver, is not the place for @CAMPER!!MINIGEMA!X25.84!!revamped
Thanks given by: