What's you favorite type of music?
TItle. What genre of music do you like and why.
Thanks given by:
The general 'indie scene', if you want to call it that.

It's full of genre revivals, lyrics with the kind of meaning we've not seen in any artists in possibly decades, obscure use of instruments, interesting takes on things, the musicianship can be of high standard or as simple as a few strange chord shapes, so there's no real skill requirement to have a good 'indie' band... the vocals are usually also fairly distinct and catchy, etc.

Very melodic stuff, sometimes
Thanks given by:
I have a very diverse musical taste; it mainly depends on what mood I am in. Lately I have been kinda obsessed with Crowded House (which is an aussie band, iirc)

Ska Punk, Power Metal, and chiptune/electronic stuff are the biggest ones, but I will listen to practically anything at least once or twice.

inb4friday: don't even think about making a rebecca black joke. I said practically.
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 04:44AM)Impaktd Wrote: The general 'indie scene', if you want to call it that.

It's full of genre revivals, lyrics with the kind of meaning we've not seen in any artists in possibly decades, obscure use of instruments, interesting takes on things, the musicianship can be of high standard or as simple as a few strange chord shapes, so there's no real skill requirement to have a good 'indie' band... the vocals are usually also fairly distinct and catchy, etc.

Very melodic stuff, sometimes

I agree with you mostly, although the 'indie' scene isn't really my thing. Mainly because it's just mainstream pop waiting to be discovered.

Although today, I appreciate anything or anyone that simply tries to create some new, using real instruments. Todays music is awful - Gaga, Perry, the numerous amount of talentless RnB wannabes.

I still believe Tool are one of the most inspiring bands, musically and lyrically,on the face of the Earth right now. Musicianship and lyrical abilities that are beyond compare.
Thanks given by:
I agree, it seems that any really popular music today is not so much for music but just to gain popularity just to be popularity.

[offtopic] Why is this not in offtopic? :D [/offtopic]
Thanks given by:
The general Punk/Punk-Rock/Post-Punk/Emo scene's what I like. Punk and post-punk being the heaviest and the other two with around the same sort of lyrics, but with lighter instruments. I'm not really a fan of screaming, although it's bearable with some bands (e.g, Senses Fail) I suppose I still don't mind the whole alt/indie-rock thing, but all the bands that I used to listen to that were like that all pretty much suck now. They've changed too much, and they've turned into meaningless poppy crap.

Also, I'd like to point out, there are two types of Emo, really. There's Emotive Hardcore, which is sort of similar to Post-Punk, I suppose, and there's the Emo that everyone thinks is associated with slitting your wrists, dying your hair black, putting on eyeliner and wearing skinny jeans. I prefer bands that are based around the first meaning, but I like some bands that are based around the second meaning too, like Bayside/Name Taken.

On the discussion of pop/rnb: It sucks. Badly. Most people I know follow the Top 40 like the bible, which is honestly probably the worst things about where I live. It means that anywhere you turn, someone's playing that annoying, meaningless crap which required no talent to make whatsoever. I hate the music I listen to even being compared to that "music".

[offtopic]Frogulis, it's probably because there are already about 4 posts like this in offtopic, lol.[/offtopic]
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 05:41AM)Cactus Wrote: I still believe Tool are one of the most inspiring bands, musically and lyrically,on the face of the Earth right now. Musicianship and lyrical abilities that are beyond compare.

Tool is a masterpiece.

I enjoy mostly the "core" scene, e.g., metalcore, deathcore, hardcore and such. However i appreciate many other metal subgenres (death metal, prog metal, ...) and other genres, like jazz, blues, classical music and some indie/alternative rock.
Thanks given by:
I listen so different kinds of music that it would be easier to say what I don't like. What I don't like, is pretty much all mainstream rap. I also hate these emo metal bands like Bring Me the Horizon, Suicide Silence and Parkway Drive for example.
Thanks given by:
Parkway Drive - emo band? STOP TROLLING ME god damnit

Besides, this is favorite type of music, not bands you hate but don't know which genre they are/what music they play
Thanks given by:
I've been listening to To The Wolves a lot lately.
You should too.
http://tothewolves.bandcamp.com/
Thanks given by:
Dubstep atm
Thanks given by:
D-D-D-Dubsteppp

(wubwubwubwubwub)
Thanks given by:
Should be moved to offtopic
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 10:42PM)Apollo{TyD} Wrote: Should be moved to offtopic

Done!
Thanks given by:
does 'stuff with a tune' count as a genre? if it sounds good i'll listen to it, there's no need to try and categorize things
Thanks given by:
I am into pop-rock rnb is nice. I recently got into electronic and techno. I guess thats called dubstep?
Thanks given by:
(01 May 11, 12:33AM)Hellspell Wrote: does 'stuff with a tune' count as a genre? if it sounds good i'll listen to it, there's no need to try and categorize things

You must not listen to a lot of music
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 01:10PM)pweaks Wrote: I listen so different kinds of music that it would be easier to say what I don't like. What I don't like, is pretty much all mainstream rap. I also hate these emo metal bands like Bring Me the Horizon, Suicide Silence and Parkway Drive for example.

THERES BLOOD IN THE WATER!!!!111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!1
Thanks given by:
LOST SOULS!!1!11!!!!11111!!!!!!11111
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 01:18PM)titiPT Wrote: Parkway Drive - emo band? STOP TROLLING ME god damnit

Besides, this is favorite type of music, not bands you hate but don't know which genre they are/what music they play

I was telling what kind of music I like by telling what I don't like.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 11, 07:53AM)Cactus Wrote:
(01 May 11, 12:33AM)Hellspell Wrote: does 'stuff with a tune' count as a genre? if it sounds good i'll listen to it, there's no need to try and categorize things

You must not listen to a lot of music

it's what I do most

Thanks given by:
However, you failed to describe what music you don't like. If i say Coldplay sucks 'cus i don't like emocore, no one will take me seriously.
Thanks given by:
I listen to all genres of music except for metal. I see good points and bad points in each, but my absolute favorite is indie. I just feel like in indie the musicians are actually trying to teach us something and make us think, where as in other genres the lyrics are mostly about death/sex/drugs/money or non-existent in techno and classical.

Examples: Death Cab for Cutie, Mumford and Sons, The Avette Brothers, Bon Iver, etc.

Impaktd I'm curious as to what you listen to... :D
Thanks given by:
Basically, I listen to all genres. Any music that excites me in any way, is highly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
(01 May 11, 05:09PM)titiPT Wrote: However, you failed to describe what music you don't like. If i say Coldplay sucks 'cus i don't like emocore, no one will take me seriously.

Okay. Emocore sucks, because it sounds all the same.
Thanks given by:
Good is the same
Thanks given by:
(04 May 11, 01:09PM)pweaks Wrote:
(01 May 11, 05:09PM)titiPT Wrote: However, you failed to describe what music you don't like. If i say Coldplay sucks 'cus i don't like emocore, no one will take me seriously.

Okay. Emocore sucks, because it sounds all the same.

And PwD isn't emocore. SAY IT

Thanks given by:
I heard my first Parkway Drive song today (Romance is Dead) and I must say that I found it completely boring and derivative. And lyrically, jeeezz. Horrible.
Still listening To The Wolves, Glassjaw, Today is the Day, Nerve City.
Thanks given by:
Define derivative and boring. And listen to Boneyard. Can't handle a fucking river, uh? ;D
Thanks given by:
Boneyards was equally as boring, the majority of it being tuned to drop C open chug chugs. Boring.
Granted, I enjoy a good breakdown every now and then.
They just sound like a hodge podge of stolen metalcore riffs.
Thanks given by: