Mapping Restriction Question
hey so there are some maps out there that i dont think meet the requirements, this one map has a very very very long fall like twintowers in 1.04, but it still works, so is there a way u can run a map without the restrictions, and if there is a way is that not allowed?
Thanks given by:
Either there are modified servers around or the map does meet the requirements.

Modified servers aren't allowed in general and if the sole purpose of those is to circumvent quality-standard-procedures, you're more likely to get them removed from the MS sooner or later.

Thanks for reporting this issue, though.
Thanks given by:
(23 Mar 11, 10:24AM)BrickSquad Wrote: hey so there are some maps out there that i dont think meet the requirements, this one map has a very very very long fall like twintowers in 1.04, but it still works, so is there a way u can run a map without the restrictions, and if there is a way is that not allowed?

You mean something like GEM@S??? Yeah i was wondering about that too. Must meet requirements 'cause it runs on my ser er and it's not modified.
Thanks given by:
I think I know the map(s) you are talking about.
Although the middle is very deep, the bases are quite close to ceiling, and make up quite a lot of the total floor area, bringing the average ceiling height down to <30 cubes. Also, it might have large areas with ceilings one cube high outside of the main map area.
Thanks given by:
Mr.Floopy, Look at Rifle@Camper and Weed_Room Maps... Also, there's are the specific prodecure but only the masters know how to.
Thanks given by:
Bugboy, I know those maps and I always knew it was still possible to create such maps.

And their plain existence isn't a problem, in my opinion. The 'minimum map quality standards' are there to prevent the worst sorts of maps, which will make your graphics cards commit suicide, in first place. I personally do not want to extend the restrictions any further and I do hope this will never be neccessary.

Low quality or weird looking fun maps have been around ever since. Nobody wants them to be locked away entirely...

BUT, if things will go as worse as they used to be, when the restrictions were enforced, well, then maybe there will have to be new methods to prevent this kind of abusage.

In the end, if there weren't servers pushing those maps 24/7 exclusively, nobody would mind them...
Thanks given by:
There's have been issue with a lot of mapmodels in the game... For example, in old version, Mini_GreatWallofChina have about 20 trees and it's in open space.

So, I am betting that Devs are thinking about adding "Polygon checker thingy" to determine if map is not lagging at all.
Thanks given by:
(24 Mar 11, 10:39AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: abusage

This guy is a modern-day Shakespeare with all the new words he's giving us! :D
Thanks given by:
(24 Mar 11, 03:45PM)Bugboy1028 Wrote: So, I am betting that Devs are thinking about adding "Polygon checker thingy" to determine if map is not lagging at all.

Correct. I forgot about this one. Well, this _is_ neccessary without doubt.

V-Man, you just caught me again you darn trashhold! :P
Thanks given by:
Also, how does Douze get away with the 10,000 cube open area rule? I made a square 10,000 cube map in a couple minutes to see how big 10,000 was, and Douze is wayyyyyyyyy bigger in it's middle arena area alone.
Thanks given by:
No official map does exceed the values, of course. Don't you think they got tested before being applied. Jesus,...

So, what did we learn in here. The restrictions are less limiting than some people keep pretending. You still have all freedom in creativity and as long as people use their tools appropriately, everybody will be happy.

Well, the origin question of this thread was answered by the first post already and we do not need another discussion on ac_douze... Therefore, closed.
Thanks given by: