Assaultcube "Advanced" version...
Hello!

i have an idea That i thing many of the members thought about:
why can't we make a AC version based on the Cube 2 Engine?
I think we/somebody should do it becuse it
has nicer graphics a better and easier map-editor...
I know that someday everyone are buying a new computer and its also a reason why assaultcube should follow the evolution of software and hardware technologics.
I friend to My brother said when he tested it that it was a "bad and ugly counterstrike-look-alike!", i know its not really True becuse you cant compare the 2 games at all. But if we should use the cube 2 engine we should but the quality higher and get more fans and players to AC!
Excuse me for bad grammer and spelling, becuse aim from Sweden!
CYAA! // HPKiller[/b]
Thanks given by:
the map editor isn't easier at all
Thanks given by:
Great idea, let's split ourselves up!
Thanks given by:
lol... who wants cube 2 engine goes to play Sauerbraten... the games would be almost same :|
Thanks given by:
Obviously that friend is stupid (for both disliking a game based on graphics and thinking AC is like Counter-Strike), and we don't need any more stupid players than we already have!
Thanks given by:
hpkiller, make the first step ;)

we had this discussion dozen times, if you want to make your own cube2 game just do so
Thanks given by:
HP :)

AssaultCube still runs on low end computers. Cube 2 doesn't.
Thanks given by:
People have suggested that AC be ported to the Cube 2 engine before, but this is very unrealistic: the cube 2 engine is not friendly for old computers, and changing engines would basically mean making a brand new game. The AC devs are busy enough building 1.1. :)
Thanks given by:
Oh, come on. You devs aren't doing any work!!! It can't be that difficult. I don't know anything about AssaultCube or Cube 2 or game engines or progamming, but you have to do this!!!! AC looks totally shitty, but I want a good-looking game because I can't afford MW2. Ah, and I also have to tell you that AC needs more weapons, and maybe vehicles. If you do all that, AC will get a lot more players. If you continue not doing anything, I'll leave AssaultCube!!!!!!!!!!

Srsly...
Thanks given by:
n1 tempest xD
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 01:33PM)François Wrote: the map editor isn't easier at all

Are you mad, Sauerbraten have a better Mapeditor!,
one example is when you putting a mapmodel somewhere on the Map, you cant deny it! The editing is more user friendly, by the way.
(11 Jul 10, 02:25PM)Sp33dy* Wrote: lol... who wants cube 2 engine goes to play Sauerbraten... the games would be almost same :|

It's not the point, i want a game with modern/realistic settings and more user friendly mapeditor and sauerbraten have a doom/quake kind of theme.
(11 Jul 10, 05:00PM)tempest Wrote: Oh, come on. You devs aren't doing any work!!! It can't be that difficult. I don't know anything about AssaultCube or Cube 2 or game engines or progamming, but you have to do this!!!! AC looks totally shitty, but I want a good-looking game because I can't afford MW2. Ah, and I also have to tell you that AC needs more weapons, and maybe vehicles. If you do all that, AC will get a lot more players. If you continue not doing anything, I'll leave AssaultCube!!!!!!!!!!

Srsly...

I totally agree with you, My fantasy of a perfect Open source Fps is Assaultcube based on cube 2!
It crazy that the developers of AC dont upgrade this thing. Where is the point it shouldnt be advanced version? What the €@?!%# Did they make a new engine if the the first was good enough?
Thanks given by:
so why don´t you play sauerbraten/doom/quake?

as I already said: it´s open source - build your own game if you like
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 02:45PM)noerrorsfound Wrote: Obviously that friend is stupid (for both disliking a game based on graphics and thinking AC is like Counter-Strike), and we don't need any more stupid players than we already have!

Do you really think AC have good graphics?
I think it's ok, but i have seen better Free/open source games. By the way CS 1.6 have better playermodels for example. And it's based on the old modified quake 2 engine!!!
(11 Jul 10, 04:01PM)Lightning Wrote: HP :)

AssaultCube still runs on low end computers. Cube 2 doesn't.

HPKiller is my player name when My brother an i are playin' fps games via LAN,
it's a battle between a Toshiba- and a Hawlett-Packard User;)
(11 Jul 10, 07:00PM)ärkefiende Wrote: so why don´t you play sauerbraten/doom/quake?

as I already said: it´s open source - build your own game if you like

Whats the matter with you "ärkefiende"? You are swedish arent you? What is the &@%~$£ problem?!! I WANT A GAME WITH A REALISTIC SETTING BASED ON A MUCH BETTER 3D ENGINE!!!
Do you still think that our planet is flat? Why cant AC be better like all the other games?
Shore i can make my own game, becuse after My vacation i am beginning to learn C++ as planned, but i cant do all things by Myself! If are swede i say: du är en bakåtsträvare som inte vill utveckla el. Utvecklas överhuvudtaget!
Thanks given by:
Ya NEF, AC looks nothing like CS....
[Image: 1-5_1.jpg]

[A]
(ass)----> w
(stick)--> |
------------------------
[B]
(ass)---> w
(no stick)

protip: choose B
Thanks given by:
Quote:I totally agree with you, My fantasy of a perfect Open source Fps is Assaultcube based on cube 2!
It crazy that the developers of AC dont upgrade this thing. Where is the point it shouldnt be advanced version? What the €@?!%# Did they make a new engine if the the first was good enough?

AssaultCube is a game made for people with lower quality computers, so that they can get a taste of real FPS games. We have mentioned in this thread already countless times that upgrading the engine would kill the main motive of this project. (at least, IMO, it is the main motive)

I don't think you realise that AssaultCube and Cube/Cube 2 are two completely different games, made by completely different devs. The devs of AssaultCube did not build the Cube 2 engine, the devs of Cube and Sauerbraten did.

I haven't quite made my mind up about your attitude yet; whether you are an arrogant person who doesn't seem to take in any con's of this topic or a stubborn who simply won't rest till he gets what he wants. You, insulting others such as aerke and listing the same points which have been contradicted already isn't gonna get you very far in your goal.

Get a grip, son.
Thanks given by:
No, I´m not a Swede. I´m German. Just love a swedish/german band called Arch Enemy. But as far as I understood you say that I should develop or contribute myself. Am I right? If so: SVN members

I don´t have a problem. I only wanted to say, if you want to play a game like Quake/Doom or Sauerbraten you should play those. AC is not what you are looking for.

Best regards,
ärkefiende
Thanks given by:
Quote:Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote:Why cant AC be better like all the other games?
You want to know why? Because it would be a shitload of work to make it that good. People also have different opinions on what makes a game good. Hint: it's not necessarily graphics.

Quote:but i cant do all things by Myself!
So how dare you to shout at the developers who develop this game in their free time and never get paid for it?! Do you really think you can instruct them? Let me make this clear: you're always free to make suggestions, but don't say
Quote:I WANT A GAME WITH (whatever) !!!
If you want that so badly, DIY. Period.
Thanks given by:
http://woop.us/what-makes-the-games-suck#newcomers
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 07:10PM)hpkiller Wrote: I WANT A GAME WITH A REALISTIC SETTING BASED ON A MUCH BETTER 3D ENGINE!!!

hahahaha.

Who wants to start making some fun sky-floating castle maps where you teleport to a place where you can jump and do fun random shit like that?!

The fact is that those 3D (insane!!!! yeah no.) engines don't cater to us dirty industrial theme guys on crap computers. :)
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 06:42PM)hpkiller Wrote:
(11 Jul 10, 05:00PM)tempest Wrote: Oh, come on. You devs aren't doing any work!!! It can't be that difficult. I don't know anything about AssaultCube or Cube 2 or game engines or progamming, but you have to do this!!!! AC looks totally shitty, but I want a good-looking game because I can't afford MW2. Ah, and I also have to tell you that AC needs more weapons, and maybe vehicles. If you do all that, AC will get a lot more players. If you continue not doing anything, I'll leave AssaultCube!!!!!!!!!!

Srsly...

I totally agree with you, My fantasy of a perfect Open source Fps is Assaultcube based on cube 2!

hpkiller, this was a sarcastic comment by tempest...
If you want to do the work to 'upgrade' the game (which would really mean re-writing everything), go ahead and do so. Here is one 34 kB file out of the roughly 1.3 MB and 76 files of source code: http://pastebin.com/L6c1tULn
Go ahead and start 'upgrading', if you wish.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 09:55PM)Viper Wrote:
(11 Jul 10, 07:10PM)hpkiller Wrote: I WANT A GAME WITH A REALISTIC SETTING BASED ON A MUCH BETTER 3D ENGINE!!!

hahahaha.

Who wants to start making some fun sky-floating castle maps where you teleport to a place where you can jump and do fun random shit like that?!

The fact is that those 3D (insane!!!! yeah no.) engines don't cater to us dirty industrial theme guys on crap computers. :)
The jump pads and the teleporters has been removed from cube to assaultcube, and ladders has been added, to make it more realistic.
It is also possible in a better engine.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't care to have better graphics, even if my computer would support them...... The AC we have right now is FOR THE WIN!
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 10, 01:13AM)Andrez Wrote: I wouldn't care to have better graphics, even if my computer would support them...... The AC we have right now is FOR THE WIN!
+1
Thanks given by:
If you want better graphics, go play something else. Assaultcube is made this way, if you don't like it, then no one is forcing you to stay.
Thanks given by:
ahasua
bb
gl
hf
Drakas, you really ought to put this pic in your essay.
[Image: suicide%20how-to.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The OP could learn how to program and then create a standalone realistic first person shooter that uses the cube2 engine if he wanted. The Cube2 engine is licensed under an awesome software license, the ZLIB license. Basically you can use the cube2 engine for any purposes (including commerical) so long as you give attribution to the original developers of the engine and don't claim you made it orignially. The downside though is only the core game engine is under the ZLIB license. So all those maps and textures and sounds are under different varrying licenses. So you'll have to recreate everything else. A small price to pay imo for such a fantastic engine.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 10, 08:51PM)Drakas Wrote: http://woop.us/what-makes-the-games-suck#newcomers
Thanks given by:
You know, all of you guys are being overly chauvinistic and rude by linking to that article on woop.us.
I mean seriously, the op obviously likes AC, but he wishes it looked better graphically. Instead of immediately shooting him down and insulting the shit out of him why didn't any of you guys nicely explain the reasons why Assault Cube remains on the cube1 engine and how he could start a new project similar to ac on the cube2 engine if he wanted by himself. Cmon! Assault Cube sucks because of newcomers? Are you trying to keep new members away from AC?
Thanks given by:
Zomg has a point here actually.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 10, 09:45AM)Zomg! Wrote: ...explain the reasons why Assault Cube remains on the cube1 engine and how he could start a new project similar to ac on the cube2 engine if he wanted by himself...
Posts #6,7 and 8 'sort of' went in this direction. Unfortunately it was downhill from there.
Thanks given by: