Maps, yet again
First off all, let me introduce myself concerning the matter of map restrictions.

When 1.1 was release i was on vacation, so i didn't really had the opportunity to try it, nor the opportunity to discuss the map restriction issue.
And, lucky me, every time someone talks about that another guy just comes along and says "the time to discuss that is already gone".

Let's get serious, and correct me if i'm wrong.

AC was never supposed to be a dictatorship. Who are the devs or any other "old" players to decide which maps we should play? What happened to freedom of choice?

No one, and i repeat, NO ONE, is God here. Therefore, no one is so unbelivebly godly that he or she has the right to decide which map is OK and which map isn't.

Sure, everyone wants the skill level to improve. But we aren't creating soldiers, we are playing AssaultCube for FUN. For what i know, the aren't professional players.

IMO, lift all the restrictions in the next version.
But obviously, 1 man won't win a war.

SO I CALL YOU AC PLAYER WHO WANT TO PLAY THE MAPS YOU WANT TO. Post here. Give me your support.

Maybe, just maybe, someone will notice us.
Thanks given by:
Seriously... I can do a good gema map within the restrictions... but I cannot do a headshot city.
Thanks given by:
I'm not only talking about headshot city. Sure, it gave me a few good times. But i know it's not a good map. ALTHOUGH that shouldn't be a reason to block it.

I bet there are tons of maps no one can make within the restrictions.
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 10, 07:20PM)titiPT Wrote: Who are the devs or any other "old" players to decide which maps we should play? What happened to freedom of choice?

The devs do have the right to decide what may or may not be played in their game AND on their masterserver. If you're on any other masterserver no one cares what maps you play. You can't expect them to promote the maps that wreck the engine on the official masterserver.
Thanks given by:
I find mapping within the restrictions/constraints is fine and creating a wide variety of maps is quite achievable for anyone whether they are new to it or not. I guess some kind of built-in-feedback when you break the restrictions would help a lot of new mappers.
Thanks given by:
@jiba
The 1.1.0.4 (current trunk) prints the reasons in the screen when you do a /showmapstats command.
Thanks given by:
I support this. I've made some maps that looked pretty legit, but un-playable for some stupid reason.
Thanks given by:
titiPT

1. you are too simple, such movements is silly and solve nothing, it is the question of time who will troll you and thread will be trashed, you are probably that category of player who play that shitty maps

2. devs aren't responsible for their actions, you are missing target, the real stimulations are discussions and forum posts and random checks in game, if you give them proper feedback they will fix it, even with the fact it is idiotic feedback, such movements bring nothing

3. try to rename to xyz and connect to some main clan channel and start to discuss about custom maps, you will see how is situation about that maps interpreted to devs and you will understand why it is so

i would try DES channel which have many new maps in official mappack, you must persuade about sense of these maps all main irc channels and then you will probably see them online

Quote:<Sp33dy> Ok guys what you all think who gonna win it?

<DES|Dreamer>me of course

<DES|Halo>DES for first, second, and third

DES|Dreamer>yes, definitely that

<DES|Halo>sunnyd ftw my man

<DES|Bukz>Well the numbers in our favor, if SnD is indeed SunnyD that gives us 3 maps in the competition.

<DES|Dreamer>sunnyd is in?

<DES|Dreamer>since when?

<DES|Halo>yes sir

<DES|Halo>since tonight

<DES|Dreamer>crap!

<DES|Dreamer>i better get downloading

<Shorty>Who would you like to win other then a clanmate of yours?

<DES|Halo>hmmm, anyone besides |BC|Sniper?

<DES|Bukz>a_slow_old_man has the best map in my opinion that is not in DES.

<DES|Halo>ac_nightsand

<DES|Dreamer>is that the one i’m thinking of?

<DES|Bukz>yes

<DES|Dreamer>more lights, and he’s good to go

<DES|Dreamer>;)

<DES|Halo>yes, its a good map, but i think the lights are a major draw back

<DES|Bukz>thats not all he needs, but yea

<Sp33dy>What you all think about these:

<Sp33dy>Urban_Block by Nitrix

<Sp33dy>Nightshift by RaaM

<DES|Dreamer>valiant efforts

<DES|Halo>both are middle of the pack maps, not good enough quality to win

<DES|Dreamer>good response all around

<DES|Halo>i just rather dig so many entering

<DES|Bukz>Urban_Block and Nightshift are decent maps, but the gameplay, detail, and textures are not quite so hot imo.

<DES|Bukz>At least for a map contest map.

<Sp33dy>what about Dreamers Noct?*

<Ruthless>Fantastic gameplay, with detail to match

<DES|Halo>i would have had done the lights differently, imo, they don’t match the skybox, other then that, i can’t really complain as much as i would like to

<DES|Bukz>It’s a great map, i’m not quite sure about gameplay yet, but it has a little bit of every theme, which is quite nice, and he did a great job detailing things, my only complaint I would say is probably the lack of varity in the floor heightfields, especially on the sand and stuff, maybe a bit more detail here and there would do it some good as well

<Shorty>its a great map, but however i really dislike the fact that there isnt enough “open’ areas for me ( a sniper) to roam

<Sp33dy>Lost by Sniper what you think about this?

<DES|Dreamer>ok Lost

<DES|Dreamer>to me, it feels really REALLY crowded in

<Shorty>Lost is a typical sniper map

<DES|Bukz>Sniper has some good maps, for some reason, I feel that his older maps have been more impressive than his more recent one

<Shorty>Lost is a typical sniper map, just like ac_african

<DES|Bukz>Lost just feels idk

<DES|Halo>i am not a fan of BC|Sniper’s maps at all, i like that he tries new things, granted most of them do not work as he plans, but most of his maps are unplayable from either being to tight or too open

<DES|Bukz>not quite there I guess, not sure how to word this

<DES|Dreamer>in this case, too tight

<DES|Bukz>Back “on topic” though, my biggest concern with the mapping compeition is, that once it is all over, all the great custom maps that were submitted will be “forgotten” and hardly played on like most custom maps

<DES|Dreamer>hopefully this wont happen

<DES|Bukz>In a way, the masterserver rule kinda killed custom maps, because you don’t see quite as many in the maprots like you used to<Sp33dy>But if we go all together we can continue interwiew in game

<MisterChoppy>there is a handy list on the ac forums thread

<DES|Dreamer>they’ve been added to a few maprots

<Shorty>A question for the organiser: Will the maps all be posted in one file?

<MisterChoppy>isnt planned, maybe if i have enough time tomorrow I’ll zip em all into one package

<Sp33dy>Ok what about this map: Tone by Mariana and Raizen

<DES|Halo>in the past, no, they have not been included together

<DES|Bukz>I don’t think the layout will get that map anywhere, but it is decent

<DES|Bukz>they have some cool ideas

<DES|Bukz>idk about that heart thing in the wall

<Sp33dy>And what about this: Atlantis by Uber?

<DES|Bukz>Unfortunately I think it is the worst map in the competition
Thanks given by:
A small story: Some few days ago a player entered our servers asked for help on his map.The reason for his request: The server denied his map cause of the quality restrictions. I answered to him and we met on his server to coop his map. It was just a typical beginners map: too bright light, two opposite bases for headshotting, simple textures, no theme, no paths, no tunnels - just two bases, which have been placed too high. So told him what it is needed to fullfill the minimum map requisites and helped him to fix it (in less than 5 min). So it is easy to get many maps back with an minimum of effort. And probably the map is working better now, cause the engine is less stressed.
Thanks given by:
I am glad you discovered for what is coop and if such guy would see such servers online, he don´t need to search you irc.
Thanks given by:
Many players (me, for example) started playing AC in maps that aren't supported now. This is ALL i know.
Now tell me, what do i do to keep enjoying AC? Because this is the problem that many are trying to solve.

I won't discuss mapping issues with anybody, because i simply know nothing about maping.
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 10, 07:20PM)titiPT Wrote: AC was never supposed to be a dictatorship. Who are the devs or any other "old" players to decide which maps we should play? What happened to freedom of choice?

Well idk but I hear these devs guys spend a lot of their free time coding a game for us or something.

BURN THEM AT THE STAKE
Thanks given by:
there are ways to make old maps playable again, but you just have to be careful on some stuff, mainly licenses and getting permission for editing.. but big maps like headshot city don't have a chance at ever being played again :/ but i guess you could make miniaturized versions of big old maps, but still the feeling is lost in miniature remakes of those types of maps :(
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 10, 11:10PM)MusicMan10 Wrote:
(11 Nov 10, 07:20PM)titiPT Wrote: AC was never supposed to be a dictatorship. Who are the devs or any other "old" players to decide which maps we should play? What happened to freedom of choice?

Well idk but I hear these devs guys spend a lot of their free time coding a game for us or something.

BURN THEM AT THE STAKE
I never took the credit from the devs. I realize that they spend months and months coding for FREE.
Nontheless, giving the freedom to make maps and then taking it back is nothing less than mean..

Thanks given by: