Who's up for a mapping competition?
Who's up for a mapping challenge?

For this challenge, you'll be provided a partially made map (as a a template), from which you would then create a layout (just a layout - nothing more at this stage).

The resulting map may end up being developed into an official AC map (which I may help you on, or you can do it on your own - your choice).

Description of the map template:
This map surrounds an elevator shaft as it's major form of travel through the map, and accordingly allows players to traverse five levels. Sure, there's a ladder in the elevator, but you could also drop from one floor to the next.

From the top floor, a quick (less than 1 second) duck under the elvevator gets you out, or to get in, you can crouch-jump into the elevator from the ladder (actually a fairly easy maneuver - from the fifth floor itself, you can only gun-jump into the elevator).

In the template, all platforms are mesh platforms - feel free to change them later into normal platforms in the cfg (they're only there for map editing purposes, as when you're dealing with five floors, it is easier to feel the map when you can see through the platforms).

Teams could spawn from more than two of the floors. Stairs could connect the floors elsewhere. Holes could appear in floors/walls to traverse levels (this map easily allows each multiple level to potentially be next to each other - ropes could appear in the holes). You could add a service entrance to the elevator. Let your imagination run rampant.

[Image: O8m3LiQ.jpg]

Your challenges:
 - Size will be determined by yourself. But, you'll need to try not to make the map too big, as you'll need to keep in mind it's already multi-leveled (plus, big is boring).

- You'll need tell us the theme for your layout. Why are we fighting in this elevator shaft? Is it perhaps the scene of Die Hard? Is it the only way to get out of hell? (you won't need to display the theme in the map at this stage).

- You'll need to place a few spawnpoints for each team, so that we know where you expect the bases to be.

- Feel free to change any aspect of the template, but the original pathways must remain in their places AND the elevator shaft must still feel like an elevator shaft (the shaft itself can be modified, so long as the existing pathways are intact). Keep in mind that the solid walls in the template are there to keep WQD down.

- Balance.

Sign-ups:
To sign-up, download the map at http://www.gibbed.me/ac_hoist_template.zip and simply post your entry to this thread before 31/01/2015 @ 22:00 GMT.

How the winner will be chosen:
Still to be decided, but likely to be a group of judges based on a point system out of 10, each.
Thanks given by:
That seems like a tough challenge...
But I want to give it a try!
Thanks given by:
Sure, why not?
Thanks given by:
Well, the official documentation already warns about two stages map and the utilisation of levels in the Cube engine so I really wonder how a five stages map will not beat half of the computers who will run the map. I have a plan and I would participate but there are no complete rules, an aproximative size, and we don't know if the elevator is going to be the only crossroads of the map, in this case it would just create a laggy map with a fucked up gameplay so I wouldn't participate to that.

Can we have a more accurate informations or screenshots about the partial map? Or maybe we can have the map itself if it's already done?

Also, I planed to organise something with the mapping scene so I hope this competition isn't going to last years because I can not start another similar thing right after a mapping competition.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 11:56PM)ExodusS Wrote: Well, the official documentation already warns about two stages map and the utilisation of levels in the Cube engine so I really wonder how a five stages map will not beat half of the computers who will run the map.

Only a small portion of the map itself, is made up of multiple levels with platforms. Because of this, it shouldn't lag. Each level will act independently to one another and leave on routes differing from each other.

(01 Jan 15, 11:56PM)ExodusS Wrote: I have a plan and I would participate but there are no complete rules, an aproximative size, and we don't know if the elevator is going to be the only crossroads of the map

I've added further explanation to this under "Your Challenges". Note, that you decide where the other crossroads are, the elevator only acts as one.

(01 Jan 15, 11:56PM)ExodusS Wrote: Can we have a more accurate informations or screenshots about the partial map? Or maybe we can have the map itself if it's already done?

Also, I planed to organise something with the mapping scene so I hope this competition isn't going to last years because I can not start another similar thing right after a mapping competition.

I figure that the competition will run for a few weeks only (to be decided for certain). I imagine it shouldn't take very long to organise just a layout, so I'll see how we're doing two weeks in and then decide the expiry date accordingly.

I won't provide the map yet, as it would be an unfair advantage for those that haven't yet signed up. However, see above for the screenshot.
Thanks given by:
Sign me up.
Thanks given by:
well.. I made something and the maprestriction.. you know.

Map Quality Stats
The mean height is: 24.21
Height check is: 51675
The max area is: 792 (of 12103)

The platforms distance betwen each floors are 10 cubes. idk if I decrease the height, the players will bump their heads with the platforms.
Thanks given by:
I might give it a go just for the fun of it. I normally don't just do a layout, I usually detail as I go but I'm sure I can come up with something.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 15, 01:04AM)MPx Wrote: well.. I made something and the maprestriction.. you know.

Map Quality Stats
The mean height is: 24.21
Height check is: 51675
The max area is: 792 (of 12103)

The platforms distance between each floors are 10 cubes. idk if I decrease the height, the players will bump their heads with the platforms.

Platforms between the floors are 12 cubes in this one. The height check shouldn't matter, as it uses a mean height (i.e. the rest of the map is unlikely to be >30 cubes).
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I might give it a go just for the fun of it. I normally don't just do a layout, I usually detail as I go but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Feel free to detail if you want. The competition is on layout for a few reasons, one of them being that it lowers the skill level required to be able to join the competition.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 08:45AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: This map surrounds an elevator shaft as it's major form of travel through the map, and accordingly allows players to traverse five levels.

The resulting map may end up being developed into an official AC map (which I may help you on, or you can do it on your own - your choice).

i'm very, very doubtful that this would work (if the map is too clustered, which is necessary to make a map like this work, its going to result in shit gameplay), but i'd be willing to try at least.

(02 Jan 15, 05:26AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I might give it a go just for the fun of it. I normally don't just do a layout, I usually detail as I go but I'm sure I can come up with something.

yes, this is a problem with AC mappers. you're unlikely to see innovative layouts, because mappers prefer to test the limits of the engine instead.
Thanks given by:
Where can I download this template?
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 15, 12:44PM)RKTnoob Wrote: ...

Presumably it will come out at the start of the competition.
Thanks given by:
There are still needed rules IMO, like, are we able to team-up with another mapper to coop, or are we able to use custom contents, use glitches or any tricks with the engine, or just if we can use some elements from already released maps?
Thanks given by:
Sure.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 15, 05:40PM)ExodusS Wrote: There are still needed rules IMO, like, are we able to team-up with another mapper to coop, or are we able to use custom contents, use glitches or any tricks with the engine, or just if we can use some elements from already released maps?

(02 Jan 15, 08:44PM)Artemis Wrote: Sure.

Sure.

Keep in mind though, it will be voted on by the public, so if said features make it a bad map, then votes will be accordingly.

Also note, that if we're to consider making it into an official map, things like gltich-doors, would be removed.
Thanks given by:
This year, I resolve to take english clases XD

I misunderstood completly. I got it, now. tarrran tarrran!

sign me up!
Thanks given by:
Glitches or tricks with the engine?
Thanks given by:
Why not start it sooner than the 23rd?
Thanks given by:
---> Fate
Thanks given by:
Please release the template sooner as free time for mapping is a fickle thing, the more time we have, the better the results might be.

Quote:Also note, that if we're to consider making it into an official map, things like gltich-doors, would be removed.
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha, are you even serious?
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 15, 09:33PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Also note, that if we're to consider making it into an official map, things like gltich-doors, would be removed.

A map with 5 ways crossings at the same vertical point... official? What about asking a real mapper to create a better map at the start, so that we will be able to make something decent from it?
Thanks given by:
It's a good challenge!
Thanks given by:
(03 Jan 15, 12:31PM)RKTnoob Wrote: Please release the template sooner as free time for mapping is a fickle thing, the more time we have, the better the results might be.

Quote:Also note, that if we're to consider making it into an official map, things like gltich-doors, would be removed.
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha, are you even serious?

Yes. Now, don't go off-topic.

(03 Jan 15, 05:37PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(02 Jan 15, 09:33PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: Also note, that if we're to consider making it into an official map, things like gltich-doors, would be removed.

A map with 5 ways crossings at the same vertical point... official? What about asking a real mapper to create a better map at the start, so that we will be able to make something decent from it?

If it works out good, then, sure, official.
Thanks given by:
What if someone can work glitch doors into the map in a realistic way?
Thanks given by:
(04 Jan 15, 09:07AM)MorganKell Wrote: What if someone can work glitch doors into the map in a realistic way?

No.
Thanks given by:
lol
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 15, 08:45AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: The public would then vote on the best layout.

Is that really a smart idea? See the 6th mapping contest where a terrible map was voted the winner while a map that later became official was not. I predict something similar happening here.
Thanks given by:
At lest we would get faster results than the 8th mapping contest :p
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 15, 02:57PM)MathiasB Wrote: At lest we would get faster results than the 8th mapping contest :p

Not if the poll is created a year after the contest deadline.
Thanks given by: