Can't use Servers in ubuntu 14.04 LTS
(04 Jul 14, 09:29PM)Metahunter69 Wrote: Great. I guiess I have to wait?

Like everyone (including me) in this thread has said, instead of waiting for the repository to update you could always just compile it from source.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 14, 06:46PM)Metahunter69 Wrote: I do read thew answers stef and I do listen to the people on this forum and do what they say what are you talking about?

MPx told you in the first reply to this thread, to "Download the newest (1.2.0.2) from the link on the top of this page."
If you had read that and done as you were told, you would already be playing the game.

(03 Jul 14, 06:46PM)Metahunter69 Wrote: Since it is outdated how long until they update repository packages?

If you want to play the game, do as you were told. Or don't.
Stop bothering those who are here to help people with actual problems.

BTW, the next one with a braindead fullquote reply will be banned.
Thanks given by:
Fixed. Sorry stef XD
Thanks given by:
What's your native language Metahunter69 ?
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 14, 07:16PM)hgf-arg Wrote: What's your native language Metahunter69 ?

Engilsh why do you ask?
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 14, 11:50PM)Metahunter69 Wrote:
(08 Jul 14, 07:16PM)hgf-arg Wrote: What's your native language Metahunter69 ?

Engilsh why do you ask?
Nevermind...
Thanks given by:
Hernan thought you had a language barrier and was willing to try to explain it to you in Spanish or something..... But if your native language is English, then that begs the following question: "What don't you understand about not using Ubuntu's repository? It is out of date. We've told you again, and again, to download the make-build the source code from the website."

So let's try this again, please download and build the 1.2.0.2 source code from scratch. What part of this statement do you not understand?
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 14, 06:44PM)Music Wrote: Hernan thought you had a language barrier and was willing to try to explain it to you in Spanish or something..... But if your native language is English, then that begs the following question: "What don't you understand about not using Ubuntu's repository? It is out of date. We've told you again, and again, to download the make-build the source code from the website."

So let's try this again, please download and build the 1.2.0.2 source code from scratch. What part of this statement do you not understand?

And how did I do that? How do I get the download and build the 1.2.0.2 source code without using sourceforge? Also what is the Ubuntu repository?
Thanks given by:
Okay great. Now we're getting somewhere.

Normally, when you use "sudo apt-get install <package>" it searches the default Ubuntu repositories. Well, when you add new repositories, it adds from that too. However, the Ubuntu repositories package the source code, or the stuff that becomes programs, into deb files. These are specially pacakged for Debian and Debian-based systems. However, the packaging takes time and hence it can become out of date.

It is thus with AssaultCube. The package in Ubuntu's repositories is version 1.1.0.4, whereas the current version is 1.2.0.2. If you install it from Ubuntu's repository, no matter how many times you reinstall, you will still get a non-functioning old version.

So how do you get a copy of the source code? Well, you could get it from sourceforge, which is probably the easier route. Why? If you click on this link here. Why is this easier? It will give you a tar.bz2 (think of it as a zip file). Then, you just tar -jxvf (I think, read the man page), and then you're on to installation step... But since you don't like sourceforge, download git.

Then, in terminal, type in:
git clone https://github.com/assaultcube/AC.git

Once you've done either of those, post here. We'll move onto the next step.
Thanks given by:
It's not that I don't like sourceforge I've been using it to download the package from that site which doesn't work. And after I get there what file(s) sould I download?
Thanks given by:
Please tell us what /exactly/ you have done. What link you clicked, what your computer did, what you did afterwards.
Thanks given by:
(17 Jul 14, 08:20PM)Music Wrote: Please tell us what /exactly/ you have done. What link you clicked, what your computer did, what you did afterwards.

After I cicked on the linux click on home page it takes me to the http://sourceforge.net page were the assaultcube 1.2.0.2.tar.bz2 is.There is a 5 sceond countdown and the file is download pompt via Firefox.
Thanks given by:
Okay, then what?
Thanks given by:
(18 Jul 14, 02:00AM)Music Wrote: Okay, then what?

They I install the game and ran it like I said which files do I need to get when I click this link:
https://github.com/assaultcube/AC.git
Thanks given by:
How did you try to install it?
Thanks given by:
Just extract the tar.bz2 file to home and run the assaultcube.sh file...
Thanks given by:
I've just noticed that, according to the MS, this player has been using 1202 regularly since November 2013. We need to rethink the communication level in this thread.
Thanks given by:
download AC from here:
https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/releases
If already did it, unzip the tar.bz2 like a normal zip file, then right click on assaultcube.sh and click where it says "Launch as a program" or something like that. Then double click and run AC on Terminal. That's it. You don't need to compile or something nerdie.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 14, 04:47PM)jamz Wrote: I've just noticed that, according to the MS, this player has been using 1202 regularly since November 2013. We need to rethink the communication level in this thread.

Recent switch to *Linux possible?
Thanks given by:
Ha, you're absolutely right, +f0r3v3r+, all those connections were/are Windows.
Thanks given by:
xD Guess it is a bit different starting programs between them...

Did you ever find your way, Metahunter?
Thanks given by:
(20 Jul 14, 10:49AM)jamz Wrote: Ha, you're absolutely right, +f0r3v3r+, all those connections were/are Windows.

That's right I have a labtop with the game on there via XP.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 14, 06:24PM)MPx Wrote: download AC from here:
https://github.com/assaultcube/AC/releases
If already did it, unzip the tar.bz2 like a normal zip file, then right click on assaultcube.sh and click where it says "Launch as a program" or something like that. Then double click and run AC on Terminal. That's it. You don't need to compile or something nerdie.

TIL. I always made a new copy XD
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 14, 12:43AM)Music Wrote: How did you try to install it?
By typeing in sudo apt-get install assaultcube and it installs
(19 Jul 14, 12:45AM)OpenSource Wrote: Just extract the tar.bz2 file to home and run the assaultcube.sh file...

Ok I do I run it? Is there a progam for me to run the assaultcube.sh file?
Thanks given by:
doble clik > run on terminal.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jul 14, 02:01AM)MPx Wrote: doble clik > run on terminal.

Ok I'll try that and sorry for the late reply I was out of town few a few days.
Thanks given by:
(23 Jul 14, 02:01AM)MPx Wrote: doble clik > run on terminal.
I tried to do what you said what it not working, how are you the terminal to open a assaultcube.sh file with a terminal?
Thanks given by:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/38661/how...n-terminal

my last post on this thread.
Thanks given by:
(07 Aug 14, 12:50AM)MPx Wrote: http://askubuntu.com/questions/38661/how...n-terminal

my last post on this thread.

Ok I just did it and I got this:
To run AssaultCube, please ensure SDL v1.2 libraries are installed.

What's a SDL v1.2?
Thanks given by:
For installation guidance, read the getting started guide in the AssaultCube documentation.
Linux users should take special note that they will need these additional libraries installed:
•SDL
•SDL_image
•zlib
•libogg
•libvorbis
•OpenAL Soft
•libcurl

For RedHat based systems, type this at the command line:
sudo yum install SDL SDL_image zlib libogg libvorbis openal-soft libcurl
For Debian based systems, type this at the command line:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl-image1.2 zlib1g libogg0 libvorbis0a libopenal1 libcurl3

Webmasters, please don't mirror the files or link to the sourceforge site directly. Link to this page instead so we can inform players about possible important updates. Thanks.

Kids these days just don't read do they?
Thanks given by: