Can't use Servers in ubuntu 14.04 LTS
I'm using ubuntu 14.04 LTS and I can't use the server when I login there's nothing there why is that?
Thanks given by:
1. What server, if you created a server, but you cannot see it. You need to open the ports wich your servers is using. Default is 28763
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Port_forwarding
2. If you don't see any servers on the list. Maybe you have installed AC for the repositories. That one it's an old version! (1.0.4) Download the newest (1.2.0.2) from the link on the top of this page.
Thanks given by:
Are you familiar with linux server commandline?
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing you bought a vps and are running ubuntu server? It's the little details that matter. If you aren't familiar with command line usage, you're going to have a moderate learning curve to overcome but it isn't too hard. If this is the case and you did just get a server, then you are likely starting out in your /home folder which of course will have nothing in it.

If not, then I have no idea what you're talking about.
Thanks given by:
+1 To XRD for a more concise answer...

Additionally, if this is the case and you want to proceed further down the rabbit hole...

This isn't a bad place to start:
http://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/
Thanks given by:
(27 Jun 14, 03:26AM)MPx Wrote: 1. What server, if you created a server, but you cannot see it. You need to open the ports wich your servers is using. Default is 28763
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Port_forwarding
2. If you don't see any servers on the list. Maybe you have installed AC for the repositories. That one it's an old version! (1.0.4) Download the newest (1.2.0.2) from the link on the top of this page.
I have the newer version what are you talking about?
(27 Jun 14, 04:49AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Are you familiar with linux server commandline?
No i'm not what is it?
(27 Jun 14, 05:05AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: I'm guessing you bought a vps and are running ubuntu server? It's the little details that matter. If you aren't familiar with command line usage, you're going to have a moderate learning curve to overcome but it isn't too hard. If this is the case and you did just get a server, then you are likely starting out in your /home folder which of course will have nothing in it.

If not, then I have no idea what you're talking about.
No I don't have a VPS.
(27 Jun 14, 05:09AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: +1 To XRD for a more concise answer...

Additionally, if this is the case and you want to proceed further down the rabbit hole...

This isn't a bad place to start:
http://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/
OK l'll look at it.
Thanks given by:
If you are trying to host this from an Ubuntu desktop, you will shut the server down everytime you logout or turn off the computer...
You can host the server inside of a
screen
though....

However, you would need to leave your computer running for the server to continue working...

But you haven't given us much to work with here...

We know your OS is Ubuntu 14.04

We still don't know for sure if this is a server that you are accessing through the terminal, or if you are trying to run the server on your desktop at home....

We don't know what you have, or have not, downloaded and in what version, or from where....

We have an indication that you may be inexperienced at hosting servers...

But you could help us a lot by being more specific about what you are logging in to and where....
The solutions will be vastly different depending upon what you wish to achieve....

Please.... Help us help you....
Thanks given by:
My advice:

Step 1) The file "bin_unix/linux_64_server" (or non-64, if you're that way inclined), rename it to what you want to easily identify your server with, because in your process list (top, htop, pidof, etc), you'll want to be able to easily identify which running process is your AC server.

2) Use this as a script file, add switches as necessary:
#! /bin/bash
# Ensure that 'screen' is installed.

cd /path/to/mainacfolder
screen -d -m -S SERVERNAME bin_unix/SERVERNAME -cX -fXXXXX \
-n"SERVER DISPLAY NAME" \
-o"MOTD LINE 1
MOTD LINE 2"
Thanks given by:
You can change
screen -d -m -S SERVERNAME bin_unix/SERVERNAME -cX -fXXXXX \

to
screen -dmS SERVERNAME bin_unix/SERVERNAME -cX -fXXXXX \

because simplicity.
Thanks given by:
I have a feeling this thread has already gone over the OP's head guys....

We're talking about someone who is:
(27 Jun 14, 11:55PM)Metahunter69 Wrote:
(27 Jun 14, 04:49AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Are you familiar with linux server commandline?
No i'm not what is it?
...Not aware of the commandline...
While he probably won't have to compile on Ubuntu, he may have to sudo apt-get some dependencies, as well as extracting the archive, before we can even get to writing a shell script for the purpose....
Thanks given by:
Metahunter69, did you do, what MPx told you to? In the very first answer to this thread?

Are you sure, you have version 1.2.0.2 of the game?

To check, start the game, press 't' and enter "/version". If it does not display "version = 1202", do what MPx told you to.
Thanks given by:
Wait a sec.. "Can't use Servers in ubuntu 14.04 LTS" This thread is related whit AC or Ubuntu? lol
We need more details.
Thanks given by:
I am pretty sure, it has nothing to do with "running a server"...
Thanks given by:
(29 Jun 14, 01:10AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: I have a feeling this thread has already gone over the OP's head guys....

We're talking about someone who is:
(27 Jun 14, 11:55PM)Metahunter69 Wrote:
No i'm not what is it?
...Not aware of the commandline...
While he probably won't have to compile on Ubuntu, he may have to sudo apt-get some dependencies, as well as extracting the archive, before we can even get to writing a shell script for the purpose....
Okay I know what you're talking about now I think?
(29 Jun 14, 02:39AM)stef Wrote: Metahunter69, did you do, what MPx told you to? In the very first answer to this thread?

Are you sure, you have version 1.2.0.2 of the game?

To check, start the game, press 't' and enter "/version". If it does not display "version = 1202", do what MPx told you to.
Yes I'm sure I downloaded the installation from this site I didn't download it from anywhere else.
(29 Jun 14, 04:15PM)MPx Wrote: Wait a sec.. "Can't use Servers in ubuntu 14.04 LTS" This thread is related whit AC or Ubuntu? lol
We need more details.
What can I details are you looking for?
(30 Jun 14, 09:29AM)stef Wrote: I am pretty sure, it has nothing to do with "running a server"...
Yes you are absolutely correct I'm trying to connect to a server so I can play with other players on that server. I can't connect to any of the servers because there aren't any available. It's supposed to look like this:
[Image: eddtw.jpg]
But the ubuntu 14.04 LTS version doesn't show that at all.It's just empty there is nothing in there at all.

Ok I just check it says 1104
Thanks given by:
His IP address is x.x.x.x

Someone check for a ban, please.
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 11:55PM)RandumKiwi Wrote: His IP address is x.x.x.x

No man I was taken from my Labtop that uses XP. Do I have to change or replace files to get it to work?
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 12:00AM)Metahunter69 Wrote:

No man I was taken from my Labtop that uses XP. Do I have to change or replace files to get it to work?

Your screenshot indicates that you've been banned from servers. Your IP address that you're using on this forum is as indicated (if it's different, please advise).
Thanks given by:
(30 Jun 14, 11:13PM)Metahunter69 Wrote: Ok I just check it says 1104

Well lets think now...
Thanks given by:
Metahunter, you'll need to download the latest version. The masterserver on 1.1.0.4 has gone offline.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 12:41AM)RandumKiwi Wrote:
(01 Jul 14, 12:00AM)Metahunter69 Wrote:

Your screenshot indicates that you've been banned from servers. Your IP address that you're using on this forum is as indicated (if it's different, please advise).
Banned? your joking right? This is a difference IP address i'm used the screenshot that was taken was to show what it would like if I'm on the severlist. By the way I just came out of a game a few mins ago so how can I be banned from the game huh? The laptop I'm using is the dell latitude D630.
(01 Jul 14, 01:36AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote:
(30 Jun 14, 11:13PM)Metahunter69 Wrote: Ok I just check it says 1104

Well lets think now...
What if the lunix download wasn't updated I mean that could be the problem.
(01 Jul 14, 01:39AM)Orynge Wrote: Metahunter, you'll need to download the latest version. The masterserver on 1.1.0.4 has gone offline.

I did update to the latest version what are you talking about? Maybe the Linux version isn't updated at all I mean that's all I can come up with now. Wait could it be possible that I installed the newer version in old folder? If that's the case then I need to remove that old folder wherever it is uninstalled the entire game removing all the folders there and then reinstall the game, just one problem I don't know how to do it.

//XRD: Commented out IP
Thanks given by:
Download the AssaultCube source code and do a make all
Thanks given by:
Hello
Give up Ubuntu. Believe me, Canonical will not get far ...
Returning to the topic ...

Do not use the automatic download of ubuntu. (programs center). This will bring you the old version of the game.

Go to the game page and download the files for linux.
Its oficial.. dont worry - download here
The files come compressed. Unzip them to an easy place to find.
Well, there is now a "readme" file. read it.
You must have permission to execute the "sh".
SH ? what is it? - help

You will run this file from the command line, maybe. Or you can open the terminal and drag this file to the terminal and it will run.

First things first ... Try these steps .. if that does not work come back here and describe ...
Thanks given by:
Simply do, what the first answer in this thread told you to do:

Do NOT use the version from the debian (or ubuntu) repository. That is version 1.1.0.4 and its masterserver has gone down last year. It will not start working again - you can stop trying.

Instead, use the download link at the to of this page to download the current version: 1.2.0.2

Stop wasting everyone's time.
Thanks given by:
ok, to remove the previous version:
go to the center software and unistall it from there. Then go to your home folder and click on the menu bar Show/Show hidden files [or something like that, sorry I'm from Argentina and my OS is in Spanish] OK, once your hidden files are showing, search for the folder called .assaultcube_v1.0.4 and deleted or rename it if you want. Then Install the newest version of the game.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 14, 06:11AM)1Cap Wrote: Hello

Do not use the automatic download of ubuntu. (programs center). This will bring you the old version of the game.

SH ? what is it? - help

You will run this file from the command line, maybe. Or you can open the terminal and drag this file to the terminal and it will run.

First things first ... Try these steps .. if that does not work come back here and describe ...
That's the same link I'm using to get the package what are you talking about?
(01 Jul 14, 09:00AM)stef Wrote: Simply do, what the first answer in this thread told you to do:

Do NOT use the version from the debian (or ubuntu) repository. That is version 1.1.0.4 and its masterserver has gone down last year. It will not start working again - you can stop trying.

Instead, use the download link at the to of this page to download the current version: 1.2.0.2

I did and I bet some of the files in the package including the game file itself wasn't updated that's why every time I remove and reinstall the game and type in /version in the command line I'm always seeing 1104.
(02 Jul 14, 02:08PM)MPx Wrote: ok, to remove the previous version:
go to the center software and unistall it from there. Then go to your home folder and click on the menu bar Show/Show hidden files [or something like that, sorry I'm from Argentina and my OS is in Spanish] OK, once your hidden files are showing, search for the folder called .assaultcube_v1.0.4 and deleted or rename it if you want. Then Install the newest version of the game.
I removed the game and reinstalled it but to no avail be keeps on saying 1104. Maybe the Linux/Ubuntu package wasn't updated yet? Also I noticed that every time I installed the game before the installation it said that there were 4 new, 0 updated, 7 not upgraded in the terminal maybe that has something to do with.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 14, 02:27AM)Metahunter69 Wrote:
(01 Jul 14, 06:11AM)1Cap Wrote: Hello

SH ? what is it? - help

That's the same link I'm using to get the package what are you talking about?
(01 Jul 14, 09:00AM)stef Wrote: Simply do, what the first answer in this thread told you to do:

I did and I bet some of the files in the package including the game file itself wasn't updated that's why every time I remove and reinstall the game and type in /version in the command line I'm always seeing 1104.
(02 Jul 14, 02:08PM)MPx Wrote: ok, to remove the previous version:
I removed the game and reinstalled it but to no avail be keeps on saying 1104. Maybe the Linux/Ubuntu package wasn't updated yet? Also I noticed that every time I installed the game before the installation it said that there were 4 new, 0 updated, 7 not upgraded in the terminal maybe that has something to do with.

If the repository is out of date, reinstalling from a repository won't do you any good.

Anyway, I install from my repository and works. I think this is generally how you install on (Ubuntu) linux -- I've never done it because I'm lazy. I might be wrong somewhere

sudo apt-get remove assaultcube
sudo apt-get install wget
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/actiongame/AssaultCube%20Version%201.2.0.2/AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2.tar.bz2?r=http%3A%2F%2Fassault.cubers.net%2Fdownload.html&ts=1404357091&use_mirror=hivelocity
tar -jxvf AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2.tar.bz2
cd AssaultCube_v1.2.0.2
alias acstart=`pwd`+"bin_unix/linux_client"
acstart
Thanks given by:
Metahunter69, why did you come here and ask for help? What is the point in us helping you, if you don't even read the answers?

(03 Jul 14, 02:27AM)Metahunter69 Wrote: I removed the game and reinstalled it but to no avail be keeps on saying 1104. Maybe the Linux/Ubuntu package wasn't updated yet?

MPx told you in the first reply in this thread, that the repository packages are outdated. There is no "maybe".

PS: Music, that alias won't work.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 14, 09:29AM)stef Wrote: Metahunter69, why did you come here and ask for help? What is the point in us helping you, if you don't even read the answers?

(03 Jul 14, 02:27AM)Metahunter69 Wrote: I removed the game and reinstalled it but to no avail be keeps on saying 1104. Maybe the Linux/Ubuntu package wasn't updated yet?

MPx told you in the first reply in this thread, that the repository packages are outdated. There is no "maybe".

I do read thew answers stef and I do listen to the people on this forum and do what they say what are you talking about? Since it is outdated how long until they update repository packages?
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 14, 09:29AM)stef Wrote: Metahunter69, why did you come here and ask for help? What is the point in us helping you, if you don't even read the answers?

Meh just run it as a shell script then. I don't want to walk him through adding stuff to path.. >.>

(03 Jul 14, 06:46PM)Metahunter69 Wrote:

I do read thew answers stef and I do listen to the people on this forum and do what they say what are you talking about? Since it is outdated how long until they update repository packages?
It depends on the OS. For arch linux? 1104->1201 took 48 hours to update. 1201->1202 took less than 24 hours.

For Ubuntu? Good luck with that.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 14, 03:58AM)Music Wrote:

Meh just run it as a shell script then. I don't want to walk him through adding stuff to path.. >.>

(03 Jul 14, 06:46PM)Metahunter69 Wrote:

It depends on the OS. For arch linux? 1104->1201 took 48 hours to update. 1201->1202 took less than 24 hours.

For Ubuntu? Good luck with that.

Great. I guiess I have to wait?
Thanks given by: