Next Map Contest
We should unsticky the old thread and/or announce a new contest and/or delete this thread. Preferably, one or both of the first two options before the last option :)
Thanks given by:
Perhaps not deleted, but unsticky, for sure. The competitions are for maps to the public. Deleting the thread would stop the 'huge' amount of downloads.
Thanks given by:
New mapping contest... Yes plz
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 13, 09:06PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: Perhaps not deleted, but unsticky, for sure. The competitions are for maps to the public. Deleting the thread would stop the 'huge' amount of downloads.

Oops, someone scanned my post instead of reading it.
Silly you.
Thanks given by:
Hate when that happens^ lol.
Anybody know when the next one will be? (Halo/Jamz/Insert-Mapping-Expert-Here)
Thanks given by:
I have secretly been trying to plan one behind the scenes for sometime now. It is a bit of a tough task as not many of the past judges want to have anything to do with it. I hope to maybe have one together for the spring time.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 13, 09:50PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote:
(11 Jan 13, 09:06PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: Perhaps not deleted, but unsticky, for sure. The competitions are for maps to the public. Deleting the thread would stop the 'huge' amount of downloads.

Oops, someone scanned my post instead of reading it.
Silly you.

Ooops, my bad! :O
Thanks given by:
(11 Jan 13, 11:07PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: I have secretly been trying to plan one behind the scenes for sometime now. It is a bit of a tough task as not many of the past judges want to have anything to do with it. I hope to maybe have one together for the spring time.

Yay :D
RR y u no judge? :<
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 13, 03:36AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Yay :D
RR y u no judge? :<

Only mappers can judge [img]troll.jpg[/img]
Thanks given by:
I'll go ahead and volunteer to be a judge in any mapping competitions since I won't be entering any for the foreseeable future.
Thanks given by:
Umad that he can make your maps even better? \:D
Thanks given by:
what themes are left to use that are super original
Thanks given by:
Why not try a no theme contest? Let mappers get as creative as they want to. Maps could still be judged by the usual gameplay/lighting/mapmodels/textures/etc. etc.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 13, 09:25PM)Bukz Wrote: Why not try a no theme contest? Let mappers get as creative as they want to. Maps could still be judged by the usual gameplay/lighting/mapmodels/textures/etc. etc.

more thinks to evalue

10 points -theme: is the theme well respected?
10 points -gameplay: is the map playable, large rooms, small paths...
10 points -layout: fair bases, good use of pickups, flags, spawns
10 points -overall design: is the map beautifull, awfull, it looks like beginner mapping?
5 points -use of mapmodel: the mapper only put fences, he used a retextured box for something...
5 points -use of textures: small/huge amount of textures, fit with the theme, logic...
5 points -use of sounds: only the gastank sound, not enough loud, bad use...
5 points -bonus: you feel something special when you run over the map, many new freshs and inedits contents, mapmodels combos, this deserve a bonus!
Thanks given by:
How about.
Unrealistic maps.

:o
Thanks given by:
IMHO, it seems pointless to limit a contest to a single theme. If not no theme, why not allow multiple themes? Limiting the contest to a single theme, or even multiple themes, in theory limits the creativity that can be used in the entries. How significantly it limits creativity is debatable, I won't get into it. It may even limit the number of entries the contest will get. (if a potential mapper doesn't like/is not comfortable with the chosen theme, theres a chance they will choose to not enter)

Maybe these contests could become the souce of entirely new themes.
Thanks given by:
I get what you mean Bukz, but the "themes" aren't truly limiting, but are more like...umbrellas?

For example, there are plenty of things you could do with an "underground" theme: A cave, an underground base, a mineshaft, etc.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 13, 11:15PM)Bukz Wrote: Limiting the contest to a single theme, or even multiple themes, in theory limits the creativity that can be used in the entries.

themes = limiting creativity
restrictions = limiting creativity

makes perfect sense in ac land
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 13, 11:43PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: For example, there are plenty of things you could do with an "underground" theme: A cave, an underground base, a mineshaft, etc.

Bet you can't come up with at least 7 more that are possible with the cube engine. :P
Even if you can, thats still not that many different possibilities in a public contest like this.

(13 Jan 13, 12:12AM)RealViking Wrote: restrictions = limiting creativity

limiting crap != limiting creativity (FTFY)
Thanks given by:
Would 'duel maps' count as a theme? We need more (well thought out) duel maps.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 12:19AM)SKB Wrote: Would 'duel maps' count as a theme? We need more (well thought out) duel maps.

so more douze's?
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 05:01AM)Takkunen Wrote:
(13 Jan 13, 12:19AM)SKB Wrote: Would 'duel maps' count as a theme? We need more (well thought out) duel maps.

so more douze's?
Because douze was a very well thought out map - especially adding flag entities.
Thanks given by:
Kidding right? Douze is from Saur, just redone with our engine's limitations.
Thanks given by:
Yes, I was kidding lol. Sauer douze is a lovely piece of work.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 05:10AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: ...Douze is from Saur...
It's comments like this...
Douze is a Cube map, ported to Saur by makkE in 2007, although non-makkE versions were seen before this. Douze originated in 2004.
Thanks given by:
If OUR DOUZE, LOOKED like THIS DOUZE, I would play it more.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 05:01AM)Takkunen Wrote:

so more douze's?

No, more ac_complexes.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 05:10AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: Douze is from Saur

Oh!
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 05:10AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: Douze is from Saur
Douzasaurus Rex
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 13, 10:35AM)jamz Wrote:
(13 Jan 13, 05:10AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: ...Douze is from Saur...
It's comments like this...
Douze is a Cube map, ported to Saur by makkE in 2007, although non-makkE versions were seen before this. Douze originated in 2004.

Yes, I saw that too, after I made my post. Point was, it wasn't designed in AC like the other post sounded. I still want to say the Saur version came before ours. If not, then it is better anyway.
Thanks given by: