The master server on your favorite micro-blogging platform
Hello everyone !

Here's a little proof of concept of mine: I made a twitter front-end for the ac masterserver :)
[Image: DyRhW.png]

Have you ever wanted to have a list of the most popular servers without having to actually start the game ? Now you can !

The servers list updates every few minutes (I'm sorry I can't make it real time because of twitter's status updates restrictions).
Thanks given by:
This is kinda neat - nice work :)
Thanks given by:
wat is twitter? :p
rather nice btw. GJ!
Thanks given by:
awesome :d
Thanks given by:
do some real coding and use PHP server list. Now come on!

Twitter sucks
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 06:58AM)Jg99 Wrote: do some real coding and use PHP server list. Now come on!

Twitter sucks

Mate, you don't have many friends left on this forum. I would avoid making comments like this.
Thanks given by:
Nice work, off course I am too old to know what twitter is but nice work anyway ;)
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 06:58AM)Jg99 Wrote: do some real coding and use PHP server list. Now come on!

Twitter sucks

If you knew what coding was, you would not have mentioned PHP.
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 09:36AM)h3ktik Wrote:

Twitter sucks

If you knew what coding was, you would not have mentioned PHP.

Ouch.
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 09:36AM)h3ktik Wrote: If you knew what coding was, you would not have mentioned PHP.
XD

Also, how is using a preexisting PHP script "real coding" but writing a twitter bot isn't?
Thanks given by:
Guys he doesnt know what hes talking about as usual, dont let him spoil another topic!
Thanks given by:
v63
v62
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 09:38AM)ironzorg Wrote: Ouch.
:O It's ironzorg!

But yeah, came back to say again how cool and full of potential this idea is :D
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 08:28PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: But yeah, came back to say again how cool and full of potential this idea is :D

Well, like I said it's more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I still find it too bad that twitter limits users so harshly (although I'm authed using OAuth, which should grant me more status updates per hour).
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 08:33PM)h3ktik Wrote:
(25 Aug 12, 08:28PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: But yeah, came back to say again how cool and full of potential this idea is :D

Well, like I said it's more of a proof of concept than anything else, but I still find it too bad that twitter limits users so harshly (although I'm authed using OAuth, which should grant me more status updates per hour).

In the end you have to think about what twitter aims to be, how people use it, and how you can make it fit that purpose. Otherwise you might as well just add some sort of status box to a website and have the same result.

As you said, a proof of concept though.

What I find interesting about twitter is not the ability to post, but the huge flood of data you can pull from it. I've made a couple of scripts that tries to use the tweets to some interesting result, but alas I do not have enough creativity.
If only I had access to the firehose \:D
Thanks given by:
(25 Aug 12, 10:14PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Otherwise you might as well just add some sort of status box to a website and have the same result.

Twitter provides an API for accessing one's timeline, if you plan on making a players finder, you don't have to bother how to get a list of the most popular servers: I did it for you and the list is parser friendly (it's one less thing you'd have to code). It's definately not the same as re-inventing the wheel by coding something yourself and upload it on a random server, since you don't have to maintain that twitter servers list (I do), and you benefit from twitter's ergonomic web interface.

Another PoC I would like to pull off: make a twitter account for an ac server, make the server pull it's timeline from it, and make it execute the commands in the status (aka web server administration tool). All the authentication would be processed through OAuth (and SSL), and you wouldn't have to connect to the server in order to change the map, etc.
Or I could make it so the server shares its blacklist on its twitter account…

So many possibilities with such a service :) Only thing I regret: the low amount of status updates available.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 12, 09:19AM)h3ktik Wrote: Another PoC I would like to pull off: make a twitter account for an ac server, make the server pull it's timeline from it, and make it execute the commands in the status (aka web server administration tool). All the authentication would be processed through OAuth (and SSL), and you wouldn't have to connect to the server in order to change the map, etc.
That sounds pretty overengineered and overcomplicated, and you'd rely on a proprietary third-party service. If you build an SSL interface into the server, why not use it to control the server directly? And if you want a tool that allows you to administer your server from anywhere, a web interface would be a lot more useful.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 12, 03:56PM)tempest Wrote:
(26 Aug 12, 09:19AM)h3ktik Wrote: Another PoC I would like to pull off: make a twitter account for an ac server, make the server pull it's timeline from it, and make it execute the commands in the status (aka web server administration tool). All the authentication would be processed through OAuth (and SSL), and you wouldn't have to connect to the server in order to change the map, etc.
That sounds pretty overengineered and overcomplicated, and you'd rely on a proprietary third-party service. If you build an SSL interface into the server, why not use it to control the server directly? And if you want a tool that allows you to administer your server from anywhere, a web interface would be a lot more useful.

Proof of concepts are not meant to be usable.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I know, but they should have some kind of purpose or aim, right? Although that purpose could also be amusement/satisfaction ofc :)
Thanks given by:
A lot of it is, "Hey look at what I did!"

Most common reaction is "Why?"

What is the requirements on status updates exactly? I'm looking into coding my own twitter service (not AC related) sometime soon and that might be nice to read. I don't remember reading it in the API reference.
Thanks given by:
ye for what is this server list? what can i do with it?
Thanks given by: