Interesting Press Release
In case some of you haven't heard, CERN made an interesting press release earlier today.
Thanks given by:
Its too smart for me. Shorten it down
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 12, 02:34AM)lucky Wrote: Its too smart for me. Shorten it down

The results of experiments support the existence of an elementary particle that gives mass, which is pretty ironic since CERN originally rejected the theory.

I like paulmuaddibKA's explanation more
Thanks given by:
They found the leprechauns gold, it was being warded by a vampire and his mascot the yeti, who found it hidden in the Bermuda Triangle, in the room where the moon landing was recorded. Their friends the Vanishing Hitchhiker and the Area 54 Alien rode them there, allegedly after watching the famous movie "London after midnight", in their house in Atlantis while eating ambrosia.
Thanks given by:
The existence of the Higgs boson was predicted in 1964.........

Think about what technology was available then.....

2012 (48 years later)
"ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought Higgs particle. Both experiments observe a new particle in the mass region around 125-126 GeV" (Looks like they are just getting closer but still don't know for sure.)

Those were talented people back then, what are you going to do when you grow up?
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 12, 04:15AM)[SODA]___ME___ Wrote: Those were talented people back then, what are you going to do when you grow up?

hopefully find some way to live alone off of other peoples' money spending all my time on my computer.
Thanks given by:
instead of pissing about with particles we could use like a 3rd of that money for things the word desperatly needs.
Thanks given by:
Who can give a shit about a particle.
Thanks given by:
Finally some good news about this case. Wonderful.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120612_162546_ac_power_CTF.jpg]

Higgs-Boson is a shotty nooooob ;)
Thanks given by:
Ahaha I was tempted to make that joke, but you, Billybob, beat me to it :P
inb4 that's Habluka in disguise.
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 12, 03:11PM)Billybob Wrote: [Image: 20120612_162546_ac_power_CTF.jpg]

Higgs-Boson is a shotty nooooob ;)

nice ratio
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 12, 03:18PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Ahaha I was tempted to make that joke, but you, Billybob, beat me to it :P
inb4 that's Habluka in disguise.

I didn't play under alias in the random pubs I was in yesterday.
Thanks given by:
Meh its been available to preorder for a few days now...
http://www.ebuyer.com/390394-higgs-boson-higgs126
Thanks given by:
This news ain't no new thing. I got this particle 3 days ago, anyone interested in buying it from me please offer your price through PM. Thank you.
Thanks given by:
All that money to find something that is everywhere and has always been there.
£2,600,000,000 (cost of LHC + Detectors) / 0.20 = 13,000,000,000 Freddo bars!
[Image: freddo_naked.jpg]
The investors must feel like right tossers now. They should feel like tossers anyway for spending such vast amounts of money on such a futile cause.
Thanks given by:
For you guys who blame the expense of the project, Id advise to not underestimate the power of science...
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 12, 10:19PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: For you guys who blame the expense of the project, Id advise to not underestimate the power of science...

[Image: G91h]
Thanks given by:
With 4,9 sigma certainty, i'm pretty excited about this.
Thanks given by:
The power of science... What good does this discovery do for those dying of disease, thirst, and hunger? Science can do wonderful things for people, the atomic bomb for example, but in this instance it's indefensible. I'll admit to underestimating it when this 'God particle' lives up to it's name.
Thanks given by:
Most discoveries aren´t proved useful after various generations come and go! Maybe its not on our lifetime, or even our children's children!
Thanks given by:
(06 Jul 12, 02:00AM)Hellspell Wrote: The power of science... What good does this discovery do for those dying of disease, thirst, and hunger? Science can do wonderful things for people, the atomic bomb for example, but in this instance it's indefensible. I'll admit to underestimating it when this 'God particle' lives up to it's name.

The point is to find ways to scientifically explain the world around us. To deal with the trivial matters of thirst and hunger, you'll have to focus more on politics and economics, which I personally couldn't care less about. The point of new discoveries in physics isn't to make everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya. Rather, it's to help satisfy our curiosity about how the world works. Stop bringing up this bullshit in a thread about a discover in physics as advancements like this in my opinion are far more amazing than the world where everyone is stupid and happy that you seem to want. Seriously, people with outlooks like you deserve to be completely silenced as whining about wanting everyone happy is just going to hold us back. Please leave and go waste your time with the peace corps or some shit.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jul 12, 02:00AM)Hellspell Wrote: The power of science... What good does this discovery do for those dying of disease, thirst, and hunger? Science can do wonderful things for people, the atomic bomb for example, but in this instance it's indefensible. I'll admit to underestimating it when this 'God particle' lives up to it's name.

I'll give the boys and girls at CERN a call and let them know you disapprove.

"Guys, Hellspell doesn't see the point so can we please put an end to this nonsense?"

"Oh well if Hellspell can't predict the purpose then fuck it, tear it down."

Quote:For instance, in 2006 a study showing that one of the malaria mosquitoes (Anopheles gambiae) is attracted equally to the smell of Limburger cheese and the smell of human feet[6] earned the Ig Nobel Prize in the area of biology. As a direct result of these findings traps baited with this cheese have been utilized in strategic locations in some parts of Africa to combat the epidemic of malaria.[7][8]
Thanks given by:
Serously though guys, this discovery should not be underestimated it basically confirms the standard model which has masive implications, all the other things that no not exist yet but were predicted by the standard model should now progress much faster, these things include stuff like time travel. so yes you could say this has the potential to save many lives...
Thanks given by:
[Image: wQ3cy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Habluka I refuse to believe you'd rather have your curiosity satisfied than their being world peace. That's the attitude of the baddie in some children's cartoon.

Mael could you elaborate on the link between Limburger cheese and CERN?

@Anderson When the discovery does save lives or revolutionise the world we live in for the better I will say it was £2.7 billion well spent. Until then I can say it could have been spent better.
Thanks given by:
It's from the Wikipedia page on the Ig Nobel prize.
Thanks given by:
Hellspell, the problem is that to help in those matters that you suggest, money is not the solution. Money is the problem! So, give it a twist, and don´t think on this as something spent, but something gained.
The suffering of people is only applied on a scale that differs from wealthy and poor, but they own have their problems, which, to be honest, should be considered as fucked up in both regards.
Starvation, torture, mental illnesses, car accidents, STD, slaughters...
We should be passed that point, and there are the means to achieve it.
The problem lies within ourselves.
One day, either we will all disappear from existence, or we will evolve into something neutral to our beloved planet earth. That can only be achieved through science.
The more science people there exist in this planet, raised in environmentally aware societies and with cares such as emotional intelligence, a barter reward system, etc; the more easy will it be to reach a point where matters as the ones you find disgusting will be disregarded as "the pre-evolution" of a more conscious human being, sort of.
Its my believe that we wont see that in our lifetime, nor will our kids or theirs, cause there is still many scars left from past wars, and Africa and Asia will seek revenge, as history has taught us.
Perhaps after the shit breaks loose, someone will suffice, a jesus-like figure, and with all the work laid around and with the efforts of our generations, humanity may still have a chance of survival.
So, Hellspell, its is up to you, me, every AC player and everybody in the world to prepare our planet for a future time when we will understand each other without the need of no help from political, economical or judicial institutions, but from self-awareness and human growth.
Or you can also join AC| clan, of course, XD.

*without the need of help, :p
Thanks given by:
KH FTW!!
Thanks given by:
You can not dissuade me from my freddos.
Thanks given by: