AC Christmas Cup Discussion
If that date could be changed to the 20th, that'd be grand (middle of the weekend instead of the end of it).
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 02:22PM)Marti Wrote: Oh and vanquish you dont even have a sleeping pattern :D

Coming from the guy who was snapchatting me on a train at 4am this morning? :D
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 03:40PM)Vanquish Wrote:
(28 Nov 14, 02:22PM)Marti Wrote: Oh and vanquish you dont even have a sleeping pattern :D

(28 Nov 14, 02:22PM)Marti Wrote: 'A lot of people aren't sleeping yet at 4am'
This is just stupid
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 02:00PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(28 Nov 14, 01:18PM)Mousikos Wrote: No one's going to wake up 4-7am to participate in a tournmanet.

But a lot of people aren't sleeping yet at 4am.

Yes, but then games start at 6am. And they have to stay up for an entire night just to play.
Thanks given by:
Some timezones are going to be disadvantaged whatever is decided but if I have an idea of how many there are in each timezone I will try to make it easy to participate for as many people as possible. Currently I'm not sure if there are any West coast Americans planning on playing.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 04:39PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(28 Nov 14, 03:40PM)Vanquish Wrote:

(28 Nov 14, 02:22PM)Marti Wrote: 'A lot of people aren't sleeping yet at 4am'
This is just stupid

@vanq: i was at a party, and staying up late once instead of going to bed in the middle of the night every day or somtimes not at all doesnt mean my sleeping pattern is fucked

@exo

If you can read i was on a train, so i wouldnt be able to play which you implied with your post that people are still awake at 4am. Also it was just me, and not a lot of people

#winning
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 06:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Some timezones are going to be disadvantaged whatever is decided but if I have an idea of how many there are in each timezone I will try to make it easy to participate for as many people as possible. Currently I'm not sure if there are any West coast Americans planning on playing.

Yes, well.... 7am? ^_^;;
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 07:04PM)Marti Wrote: somtimes not at all

dude that only happened like 30 times (including tonight). hello my americano friends and nocturnal europeans
Thanks given by:
All this map discussion. Just make it simple and make it an only urban tournament.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Roflcopter Wrote:
Signup will be on the day that matches are played (probably the 21 December but that may be changed) at 12pm GMT. There will be a signup thread on AC forums posted at that time and contact information such as IRC and Teamspeak where you can talk to the organisers and other players.

Okey, thanks mate
Thanks given by:
Any news on map pool and official rules?
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 14, 07:21PM)EndGame Wrote: Any news on map pool and official rules?

With regard to keller, I think most are against its inclusion and it seems historically when it's been played it's been boring to watch. So that's very unlikely to be added.

Adding venison is possible with consensus. Currently it seems some are strongly for and against it.
Thanks given by:
strongly for: FD*

strongly against: everyone else
Thanks given by:
I am for it, it was a fun map when i played 2v2 against FD. It is very easy to learn. Everyone that is against it has probably never played it before in a match.
Thanks given by:
I support Keller and Venison...
Thanks given by:
(06 Dec 14, 07:27PM)bballn45 Wrote: Everyone that is against it has probably never played it before in a match.

wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/LfkyNKQ.jpg
now am I allowed an opinion?

It is easy to learn, yeah, it's basically like a larger and slower version of ingress (except without cutovers) where you effectively need to kill your enemy twice in order to get through into their base because the distances are ridiculous. The middle engagements are heavily reliant on angles (which wouldn't even be so bad if middle didn't provide such great peripheral awareness and attacking positions on the two other sides and thus it's important to control), and two of the side paths have geometry which is heavily biased towards the CLA side in terms of positional fragging. The bases are also huge and the spawns are too random, and each base has a stupid box at the back of it which just encourages camping and defensive play.
It was okay to play venison once, but in my opinion it's just like ingress but even slower, and could even be compared to depot if it had a third passageway. I would certainly never play it again by choice.

fundog himself also said in his ac_venison thread that the name "venison" was chosen for his map because it comes from the latin word "vēnor", aka to hunt or pursue, and he said somewhere else (can't remember sry but I think it was on the post where people applied to have their maps made official) that he designed the map initially with the focus on HTF, which was FD's favourite mode. This tournament is ctf. :)

I feel like some people really don't take the time to explore and analyse maps in any depth - this has some significant geometry, gameplay and map flow flaws, as well as negatively impacting fps performance (I get under 500 fps in some areas on a card with 6GB of video ram). I've pointed all of this out to Larry (who btw gets under 75 fps in some areas which is unplayable) and he hasn't disagreed with anything. The argument that all maps should be included because they're official is as redundant as the argument that a certain map shouldn't be included just because a team knows it better than others (for instance: w00p with mines, us with werk, etc).

Larry did say that he'd like to add some more 1.2 maps though. Idk if anybody else has seen Undead's rework of ac_cavern but that's actually a very very enjoyable map to play now and in my opinion should be considered, even though Larry did already say the likelihood of that is low due to its lack of official status. Other maps like lainio wouldn't be a bad option, although I don't see why eleven maps aren't enough for a one-day cup that will probably have a maximum of eight teams participating.

EDIT: @Larry: if you're this unsure about including it, I was gonna suggest making a poll for venison's inclusion but that would only work if you made it so that everyone's votes could be seen publicly, and if it's done via the ac forum and not a third party site where people could spam server bots to vote for certain options.
Thanks given by:
I support cavern1.2

It's actually fun to play!

(As long as redbull isnt sniping mid :D)
Thanks given by:
Venison is da lag.
Thanks given by:
ac_avanue is ok too imo lol
Thanks given by:
Venison was bad enough to play in a 2v2. In a 3v3 there would be a maximum of 1 flag. As vanquish said, you have to kill your enemy twice just to enter the enemy base, for then to probably find a third and possibly a fourth guy waiting for you in the huge base, where players will respawn before you get the chance to get out. The map does only have 4 hp's, which is incredibly little for a big map like venison. 

As for cavern1.2, it's an amazing map which should be considered. It's a lot better than the original version, and it's the funniest map I've played in a while
Thanks given by:
(06 Dec 14, 07:41PM)Vanquish Wrote:
(06 Dec 14, 07:27PM)bballn45 Wrote: Everyone that is against it has probably never played it before in a match.

[...]

I feel like some people really don't take the time to explore and analyse maps in any depth (LOL)

"...as well as negatively impacting fps performance (I get under 500 fps in some areas on a card with 6GB of video ram). I've pointed all of this out to Larry (who btw gets under 75 fps in some areas which is unplayable) and he hasn't disagreed with anything..."

This is the only meaningful part of your 'deep' analysis. However, there are many maps that negatively impact fps performance (werk, power, elevation, etc.). I would say everything over 50 is playable.

In fact, I used to play with 25 fps. It was difficult, not unplayable. Then 50, quite decent. Condy used to play (Idk if he still does) with 50 too. He was quite good.
Thanks given by:
In some maps as elevation, werk, lainio, i have fps problems (10-25 fps) and yeah EndGame i usually play with 35 fps and its not so difficult
Thanks given by:
(07 Dec 14, 04:38PM)EndGame Wrote: This is the only meaningful part of your 'deep' analysis.

It's actually the least meaningful part, you're just trying to denounce my other claims (which other people including larry agree with) in order to draw less attention to them.

You can't expect anybody to play competitively with 25 or 50 fps. Condy is probably the only exception of someone who was able to play well with a low framerate.
Thanks given by:
Thanks to Vanquish for providing some extremely high-quality Swedish servers. They're hosted on a SSD-based VPS with well over 100Mb/s bandwidth. They're all 50 slot. Connect: se-rc.tk; ports: 1111, 2222, 3333; no password.
Thanks given by:
¿Is there any team needing a player? i'm a free agent
Thanks given by:
¿Is there any team needing a player? i'm a free agent

My bad "Rayder" is a old count =P i'm -FEL-.RayDen
Thanks given by:
Yay, an AC tournament..
Thanks given by:
I will be online ... i will try to create team on irc half hour before , so you should be there. I want to know how "pro" playing has improved.
Thanks given by:
" how pro playing as improved "
just be active and you will know baby.
Thanks given by:
I'm considering changing the date to Tuesday 23rd (signup: 6pm, matches 8pm, GMT). This is much closer to Christmas and is on the night of Christmas Eve. It avoids the weekend which many people go out. Thoughts?
Thanks given by: