About AC (game & community) development...
Since AC development seems to lack momentum atm, I'd like to use the pause to take a survey about where we are and where we should go from here.

1. about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games
  2. do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?
  3. community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?
  4. is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?
  5. what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?
  6. what do you like about AC?
  7. what do you hate about AC?
  8. do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?
  9. do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?
  10. where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
  11. one feature AC should add:
  12. one feature AC should remove:
Please write one post stating your opinions - don't start discussions here. If you think, that there is an interesting topic to discuss: start a new thread to do so.
Thanks given by:
...take a survey...where WE should go...

Who are you?
Have you researched the thousands of existing posts here on the forum?
I believe that developers already know what needs to be done. We are at the stage of action, not speech.
Sorry, I do not want to be offensive, but we need to step forward. Enough to be in agony in the same place with rhetorical.
But who are you newcomer.

This forum is a big BDA - research it.
Thanks given by:
to get this out of the way: I am also known as A&D_Dentist or just stef, a former AC developer. I was out of the game for four years.
Please take this survey seriously. I do.
Thanks given by:

1. about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games
    A: v. 0.92, mode: CTF, map: for example ac_power, Poland, 33, clanless, almost I don't play other games.
  2. do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?
    A: public matches, I am not 1vs1 player. I like ratio feature, but I don't care it. I don't care flags-per-minute value. Yes, I like to support team.
  3. community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?
    A: IRC, ingame, forum
  4. is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?
    A: The more advanced problem the more difficult to get help. Help on IRC.
  5. what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?
    A: 1,2 - Too difficult questions, I don't know too much current community. I see, that someone like to spam forum threads. Contributing: testing, simple bug fixes :)
    A: dynamism, moving, working on older computers, realistic view (lack of monsters, lack of vivid colors)
    A: things related to scores, team balancing (related to scores ;p), afk kicks, popularity of crappy maps, too much armours/helmets, default disabled classic "quicknadethrow", spammed cubescripts, turned off masterserver destroys the game
  8. do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?
    A: desktop, chipset graphic, ~130-140 FPS on 1280x1024, I like "reduced violence mode" and I don't like degraded textures. I don't like and don't use colored vests.
  9. do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?
    A: "No" to all questions, only classic speakers.
  10. where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
    A: Bug fixes, concentration to own classic gameplay, improvements of already existing features and gameplay. I rarely play Sauerbraten.
    A: demos managment: custom description, deleting, maybe also custom sorting and support of virtual folders.
    A: things related to scores
Thanks given by:
1: October 2010, CTF HTF DM and ac_elevation ac_urban ac_werk ac_gothic ac_avenue, USA, 20, B} Presidential Bodyguards, MineCraft - BlackOps zombies - Dust an Elysian tale - Left 4 dead 2 - GMOD - Metro Last Night.
2: I play both pubs and clan matches/inters regularly when I can. I don't regularly 1v1. I'm more for kill ratio over flag ratio. I do cover teammates even in pubs.
3: The AC community happens in everywhere for me, mostly IRC or the forums and occasionally TS3, Skype and the clan forums.
4: Easy to get help? I'm my own help when I have problems usually, otherwise irc.
5: The AC community is great because you get an odd mix of creativity, retards and trolls, and players you can just talk to sometimes. It could be made better with a little more moderation and less bitching about when moderation occurs. It's like swatting the hand that feeds you.
6: I love everything AC. The fast gameplay and not a huge time requirement for getting games played. Simplicity.
7: Autoteam and Anti-Cheat. Both need work.
8: Desktop. GTX 780. 200 capped. 1920x1080 and with the graphics up a touch. Regular vests.
9: Built-in monitor speakers when playing casually, headphones when in a match.
10: The next release needs bug fixes right now, not new features. However after that, a new gamemode with base capture would be awesome. If it does mold into another game, it takes closely after sauerbraten which I think is ok as long as people don't start getting us confused with them.
11: AC would be cool with the new game mode I mentioned. It would also be sweet with a new gun option for variety.
12: n/a
Thanks given by:
Hello Stef,

1.about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games

First contact was in 1.0.4 looking for free games like counterstrike because I was young and didnt have income to buy it. My favourite mode was CTF from the beginning but I was a nade spammer. My favourite map back then would've been shine (and still is). Im from the US, am 24, I play for |oNe| and currently play sauerbraten and starcraft2 as well as dabble in other single-player games.

I mostly favour competitive gameplay as I feel the teamwork element is the most interesting. I used to play 1v1's and still would if there were people to play against. I don't think ratio serves as an accurate measurement of team contribution and therefore don't pay very much attention to it. However, it is a statistic that can be valuable. Flags-per-minute is important, but the flag win is more important.

It happens for me mainly on teamspeak3. I'll hop on IRC if I need to speak with someone who does not traditionally hop on ts3 if it's a pressing issue that needs multiple steps to fix. If not, I'll pm people here on the forums.

It is easy to get help simply because I know which devs are most likely to respond. Jamz is always fairly quick and so is Ronald_reagan. I see kiwi around quite often as well. Some problems that exist that were not fixed is fullscreen for the mac version. I no longer play on a mac, but it's still something that affects a portion of the player base.

5.what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?

The ac community overall are very nice, intelligent people. I think a large issue is how the infrastructure of the community is spread out and unrelated to the game. A way to navigate from in-game to the forums with an issue, an irc client built in-game and other things could help centralize players who play the game, to be in the game as they interact with the community.

6.what do you like about AC?

I love the relatively simple, fast paced gameplay.

7.what do you hate about AC?

I hate the dwindling player base, the increased time to kill of the weapon/armour balance, as well as the lack of a proper match-making system and nicer GUI built into the game.

8.do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?

I play on a desktop that has a dedicated graphics card. I play at 500 fps at 1080p resolution. I use the lowest possible graphics settings and do indeed play with coloured vests. It's the belief that the lowest amount of stimulus needed to get information doesnt distract you from playing the game.

9.do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?

I play with headphones exclusively for all games. It's more pleasant in terms of immersion but also gives an edge in competitive play.

10.where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

AC should not try and be like other games but examines what it does well. Arcade style fast paced point and shoot. The weapon balance is still off. It's a great game, it just hasnt updated it's look or features (there are new features, just not from a menu or matchmaking standpoint).

11.one feature AC should add:

matchmaking

12.one feature AC should remove:

team pistol frenzy
Thanks given by:

1. About you:
    Started playing some time in the middle/end of 1.1, I don't remember exactly. It's been somewhere in between two and three years if I remember correctly, which I might not. I was introduced to AC from an IRL friend. I played TOSOK on Ultratwintowers, and only got into official maps when I registered an account on the forum and discovered that maps deemed "bad quality" were almost universally shunned by the plurality of people who were actively developing and playing the game. Nowadays I like CTF on shine/sunset/gothic/ingress/werk. I'm 17, from the UK, and play for the Rising Cubers. I also represent them competitively in Cube 2: Sauerbraten, and I play Quake Live but just public CA and TDM games.

2. Do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? Do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? Do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?:
    In AC, it's all about playing competitively, because that's the only aspect of the game that can be challenging. Much like Waffles, I'd say that the teamwork aspect of the game is appealing, although I also like the theory and metagame behind duels and 1v1 games (talking about dm here, not surv which just serves to train aim). Statistics like ratio and flags-per-minute are not an indication of how well a player is performing, and I think this type of mentality needs to be broken in order to prevent the stagnation of the overall quality of teamwork in the game. A more pragmatic statistic to measure a player's contribution to a game would be damage dealt as opposed to score or frags (flags scored is okay).

3. Community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?:
    The forum can be an interesting place for discussion. I check the forum regularly, and I idle on IRC, TS3 and mumble frequently. TS3 is by far the most popular method of communication amongst the competitive community and is often the best way to find games.

4. Is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?:
    I've found that posting a topic on the "help" forum (not from my personal experience but in general) just gives people an excuse to post crap or ignore the problem rather than actually help. I've had the best results by messaging people who I believed could impart some knowledge related to the problem I'm currently experiencing. jamz has been extremely helpful on multiple occasions.

5. What do you think about the AC community? How could the community be made better? What would you like to contribute?:
    Overall the community has a lot less problems than the majority of other games. That comes largely down to the fact that we're so small and a lot of the development team and moderators take such a strict stance on those who want to cause trouble. The community could be made better by everyone integrating more with each other as opposed to forming separate branches on IRC/TS3/etc and barely ever meeting each other.
  6. What do you like about AC?:
    The simplistic gameplay, the nostalgia.
  7. What do you hate about AC?:
    Hitscan aim isn't rewarded properly. Also the fact that brightskins are disabled - they are allowed and sometimes even encouraged in many other similar FPS games.

8. Do you play on a laptop or a desktop? Does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? What average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? Do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? Do you use colored vests?:
    I have played on a laptop before, but generally I play with my desktop. It has an AMD XFX R7950 3GB GPU running @ 1100MHz. I play with /texreduce but have some settings (such as blood/gibs/bulletholes) on. I'm using 1920x1080, and I cap at /maxfps 600. I use Primevil's skins, because I find it easier to focus my aim on a single colour rather than the default skins.

9. Do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?:
    Headset. Steelseries Siberia Frost Blue v2.

10. Where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?:
    Expanding on what Waffles said, it's important to make the distinction between changing the game to be the same as more popular games, and simply incorporating elements of how the more popular games are run. You'll notice that the majority of popular games have been centered around the competitive aspect and not public games. This is why games like Quake, CS, even Sauerbraten are still thriving. Competition attracts players, public games do not.

11. One feature AC should add:
    A better (maybe customizable?) user interface with a login system.

12. One feature AC should remove:
    ac_stellar
    But seriously, there are maps that are rarely played in pubs and are laughed at by competitive folk. All that happened when they got added to the official package was that they received more negative attention - so they might as well be removed.

EDIT: Jesus Krayce, that shade of blue is horrific.
EDIT2: That's better. :D [also I fixed the formatting of my post]
Thanks given by:
about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games

- I was 15/16 years old when I discovered AC here: http://www.01net.com/telecharger/windows...37895.html
- I come from France.
- My favourite modes are LSS/CTF/(T)DM and (T)OSOK
- My clan is Xtrem Warriors
- I play also SF SKILL 2, CS:GO and LoL atm...

do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?

- I play both matches (public/competition and even interclan)
- I enjoy 1vs1 for training sometimes.
- I mostly care about my ratio, but above all the flag if its a CTF mode of course.

community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

Purely ingame or TS (xW connect: i-serv.fr:9992), then on AC/clans forums and lastly to IRC...

is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?

- We get especially help from the forum or also by asking to others players ingame.
- Some problems from AC source itself (sound bugs problem/crash without reason/server-list/minimize screen...)

what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better?

- Not bad but I will skip these questions because I can receive some warning points. I hope it will answer you...

what would you like to contribute?

Sharing, website/forum design and coding a bit, arts, moddings and more...

what do you like about AC?

- Fast (quake-like), light (50mb disk space needed no account registration) and customizable (create your own player/weapon skins, maps, scripts...)

what do you hate about AC?

- Teamkillers, unhits/fps decrease (on big maps, so we can't play with old machines, not like before...), some lags on masterserver and <<useless>> anticheat.

do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?

- I play both machines (laptop and desktop)
- My laptop has a dedicated graphics card with a resolution of 1600*900, and my "old" desktop has a chipset graphics with a resolution of 1280*720
- I use all features that you quoted.

do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?

- Headphones/speakers or without sound anyway.

where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring?
would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)?

- AC is unique, this game "had" a big potential (that's why i keep playing, it's so addictive)
We need to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay and innovate in same time (the big example was in AC v1.1, it was a big mistake to change weapon balance and leave his classic gameplay) But in other hand, we innovated by others way (for example: We see how it was interesting to use AR rush powa!)

do you play other games of the cube family?

- I tried Cube2 in my desktop, but i cannot play with 20fps these time (didn't had my laptop with better performance yet) ...I prefer AC <3

one feature AC should add:

- Interface user (for instance; a personnal/local ladder in "My profile" who show our overrall stats from AC itself), S&D or new mods 100% original for AC (not like others well-know games) and add "assist" stats.
- We need also to separate game-logs (Player connected/Player fragged) with the chat...
It will be a better interface to newest players who don't have the time to read a message and to players who search Interclan from a server!
- Demo management or "kill replay" to save our best moments easily (more videos on Youtube=promotion...)
- Add a real tutorial (i.e. learn how to strafe => run for beginner) not only a simple demo...
- Able to play against bots online

one feature AC should remove:

- too many official maps, so remove some unplayed maps and avoid teamkills?
- improve anticheat or disable it.

PS: Welcome back btw.

[Edit] Yes Vanquish, i failed and chose a wrong color lmao, it's fixed now :D
Thanks given by:
About you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games

I first tryed AC in 2009 I was looking for game running on linux, I mainly played TOSOK for 2 or 3 months then quited, came back in early 2011 and started playing CTF a lot. My favourite map was gothic because fo the really fast gameplay. I'm from France, i'm 18 and playing for |oNe| even if now I mostly play cs.

Do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?

I prefer competitive 2v2 & 3v3 matches, I don't think I played more than 10 1v1s in 2 years. I don't really care about ratio/flag if we win, I just look at it at the end of the match.

Community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

On 3 or 4 teamspeak servers only and on IRC to see Jamz.

Is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?

I don't often have problems, If I need to ask something It's on TS3.

What do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?

Too much trolls on the forum. Would be cool if everyone could come on TS. People on the forum speak too much in comparaison of their ingame status.

What do you like about AC?

The fast paced gameplay the simplicity of the game. Probably like everyone. And the fact that we can create and play very very very stupid maps.

What do you hate about AC?

Phantom and macm.

Do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?

I played on laptop with 200fps everywhere. I use 1024*768 with every settings low. I use coloured vest because It's easier to see.

Do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?

I use headphones because It's easier to hear "little" sounds.

Where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

See below.

One feature AC should add:

Login feature and something like an up to date clan ranking. And maybe something to find players willing to play cm/inter

One feature AC should remove:

Non-played official maps.
Thanks given by:
(05 May 14, 11:18PM)Million Wrote: what do you hate about AC?

Phantom and macm.

No hate, spread love
Thanks given by:
I have a fan :>
Thanks given by:
about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games
Wanted to get into gaming, googled "Free online fps games" and found AC. I usually like to play SURV, CTF ac_arid, ac_terros. I'm from 'Murica and am 17. I'm in =SA= and I play: UrT, each and every half life game, CS:S, Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic, Hitman 2, Doom 3

do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?
I actually enjoy public ladder matches, as well as competitive. I do play 1v1 often. I am a ratiowhore (at least in public games) and try not to ratiowhore in competitive matches. I always ratiowhore when playing pubs, so no.

community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?
IRC, in-game, then forums

is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?
Yes. Friends on IRC. I don't remember having any unsolved problems except the usual "Bukz is never around to help me with my script"

what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?
I've never seen any other gaming communities, so now sure how to compare. Though what Waffles said, integrating an IRC client in-game would be sweet :D

The gameplay is great, it's very customizable, IT'S FUCKING OPEN SOURCE AND RUNS ON LINUX.

Mostly the voting system. With the number of intentional teamkillers on nowadays, especially since they all know that disconnecting and reconnecting will make them un-bannable, it would be great to have something that worked. Maybe even have servers auto-ban if someone keeps coming back after being kicked enough times...

Also, I hate that there isn't a global whitelist system. It seems to me it would be easier than having to distribute a whitelist file around to every server owner and etc.

do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?
I unfortunately play on a 2006 laptop. It has a dedicated graphics card (nVidia GeForce Go 6800). I get an average of 250 FPS on 1920x1200. I use /texreduce -1. I also use Primevil's skins as well as I find it difficult to see the default skins in some maps such as ac_gothic.

do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?
Now that I can afford it, I play with headphones. I used to play with a pair of earbuds though.

where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
Mostly just what Waffles said for this one. The next release should bring fixed weapon stats, such as boosting the AR to bring it on par with the SMG or sniper. I would like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay. The gameplay is part of the reason I play the damn game, why would I want that significantly change? I used to play Sauer and Red Eclipse a bit.

There's plenty of things that could be added to AC. Just to name a few though, a UI and maybe a backup masterserver?

Anticheat. I've never seen anticheat actually stop anybody from cheating, in fact it appears to be doing more harm than good.
Thanks given by:
First found AC in the ubuntu software center in late 2010, favorite mode: TOSOK, fav map: ac_desert country: USA age 14 clan: HTN, other games: CSS, TF2, Gmod, Portal2, etc
I don't play matches, and i never play 1v1, i don't care about values, i just play for fun
idk
idk
what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?
Needs more players
fast loading, runs great
needs better graphics for higher end systems
Desktop, GTX 650, around 800-900fps, 1440x900, no
desktop USB speakers
where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
It should support the ability for users to make their own game mode, and I have played and Red Eclipse
custom game modes, campaign mode, better graphics
Map requirements should definitely be removed
Thanks given by:
1-about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games

I was playing an another game with w00p|Harrek and he told me to try Assault Cube. I started in february 2010. My favourite game mode is TDM and my favourite map is ac_ingress. Im from france and i'm 18.I'm in woop clan. I also play other games like league of legend, crossfire , hearthstone.

2-do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?

I prefer clan competition. I never play 1vs1 cause it's useless and show nothing about player's level. I care about my ratio when i'm under 2.0 and i don't care about flags per minute. I don't care about my team in public.

3-community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

Woop / rC teamspeak

4-is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?

When i have some problems i pm Jamz ( our mighty god) and then no more problems. Cheaters are a problem cause blacklist are useless.

5-what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?

I didn't know there was a community on AC. I only see non players talking on a forum.

6-what do you like about AC?

I'm the best, so how can't i like this game.

7-what do you hate about AC?

Players with more than 200ping and cheaters

8-do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?

I play on a laptop. Average fps : 350-400 in lower resolution. I don't use reduced violence mode and colored vests.

9-do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?

I play with headphones

10-where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

The next release should bring a matchmaking as waffles said. It takes too much time to find a clanwar and it makes discover to newest players what is a clanwar. This will bring more competitive unknow players

11-one feature AC should add:

-Matchmaking
- something to teach you how to creat a map ( a guide)

Remove ac_douze / ac_desert3
Thanks given by:
Hey,

1) I'm .45|Baruch, I played 4 years ago for the first time, because I was looking for a free game that could run on my crappy laptop with the crappy wifi ^^. AC was my first FPS, and is now my favourite game of all times. I play gema for 2 years now, and I love it. I also enjoy pubs, but not really clan matches. My favourite fps map is ac_shine ctf. I am 22 and French.

2) I play mostly pubs and gema. They are really different but I enjoy switching from one to another. I don't like 1v1 because it's boring. Public server is like jungle, I don't think teamplay is possible. I just ratio whore and try to get flags.

3) Community is on my clan teamspeak. Sometimes I go to other teamspeak channels, but not so often. I also visit my clan forum. Sometimes I meet people ingame, but most players use nicks (so do I). I use nicks because otherwise I get teabagged, while I just want to have fun. I never come to this forum, because I have the feeling that the people who post here are not the ones who play the game. If I make a video of AC, or if I have a cool project to propose, I don't post it here, because otherwise I would get trolled, or banned.

4) I have a clan to answer my questions when I have some, but I can understand that you can be lost when you just started playing the game.

5) Make masterserver side user accounts. This forum uses a database to store user accounts right ? Then make the masterserver look into it. Make that you cannot change name ingame, and that it's the same name as in forum. This way it will be much clearer, and people will stop trolling under another nick.
I am currently working on it and I am willing to help.

6) Two words : Simple & Fast
I think that every change of the game should be following these 2 words. AssaultCube has not the graphics to compete with modern FPS. But unlike these games, it is simple and fast. You launch the game, and then immediately you can play. Gameplay is simple. Not much weapons. Gameplay is fast, you die, you spawn, you kill.

7) I don't like some parts of the community. Being better ingame doesn't allow you to troll others.
I also disagree with the custom content politic. To be alive, the game needs new maps, new mods, new coding projects. It needs it, because no content is provided by the developers. I don't mean this as an offense really, but I think that the devs should encourage more custom contents.

8) Desktop, graphics card, 500 fps, 1360x768, good graphics.

9) Headset

10) Well, let's take a look at 1.2 features. Physics were slowed down, which is against the "simple & fast" rule. New modes : I never play them. Akimbo autodownload : I think it slows down mappers creativity. It is a good work though, but it really wasn't the priority.
In my opinion, the most important feature to add is : append a database to the masterserver. This could lead to several things : ingame user accounts, ingame ladder, matchmaking, private messages, friends, clan pages. And also put an irc client ingame, this way people will be able to talk to eachother if not on the same server.
Again, I think AC has to follow "simple & fast". Now it just has to be "clear". Because simple should not mean messy. Why would you want to look like another game ? Let's just play this other game then. AC has something unique, we should keep it.
I played cube1, cube2, and red eclipse. Of course the graphics of cube2 are better than cube1, and I dream of an AC gameplay on cube2 engine. I started doing it, but for some reason cube1/AC maps are slow on cube2, because the loader has a problem. Sauerbraten and Red eclipse have a major issue : the gameplay. For some reason, it doesn't work.

11) I listed already some ideas, but here are some others :

- Allow the client to connect to multiple masterservers. The reason is simple : if you don't want gema or weird servers on the official masterserver, just let people add some custom masterservers, and the problem is solved. As a gema server provider, I have to be constantly on the edge of official ms laws (no gameplay modification). I think that this feature would be better for all : easier to ban a server from ms, and more enjoyable for gema players (for example).
I don't think this is very hard to do, only thing is the akimbo autodownload that could mess up.

- Hax jump : In B} league, hax jump was prohibited. I think this situation is not clear, and this is one solution :
As a gema player, I am of course against removing hax jump. But there are 2 ways of doing it : a hard one, and a cheap one. The cheap one can be done with a bind, or not. I think this cheap hax should be removed entirely, not just forbid the bind (cause anyway it's impossible to see the difference).
Since hax jump is a bug, it's not easy to understand how it works, I tried to change the code a bit, but couldn't find how to make the difference between the two ways of haxing.
By the way, I don't understand why the head hit technique has been removed, and was replaced by another head hit technique. I guess this wasn't intended, and should be fixed.

- I'm really not into mapping, but I heard the map requisities are not easy to understand for noobs. Maybe make it clearer ?

- Everytime I open the server browser, what I see is only 1 server with players playing seriously, and this server is full (it's ESP server btw). This is a problem, and maybe we should think about a better way for players to join servers. Some kind of matchmaking ?

- Bots in multiplayer. This would be really nice I think, it would bring some players to empty servers, and thus avoid players to stack on only one server. AC reloaded did it, why not AC. Plus, I think ACR is open source no ?

- I saw cube2 can record videos, why not AC ?

12) Haha no there are not enough things to give you the possibility to remove some ^^ :p. But please, these are not good ideas :

- Weapons balance : it's the least of the problems. Everyone knows shotguns are overpowered in pubs, but weak in 3v3 clan matches anyway. First make a matchmaking system, then balance weapons.

- New modes : no, stop. The only competitive mode is CTF, and that's way enough for this game. Keep it simple and efficient.

- New graphics : yes, but some players with very low pc won't be able anymore to play the game. Anyway, new graphics won't change anything, we need a better game system.

I want to help. I've already explored most of the source code of this game. I will continue to work on my custom masterserver thing anyway.
Thanks given by:
1. 0.93,T/SURV and ac_complex, Australia, 19, A&D, don't regularly play any other game
2. mainly play public matches, do the occasional 1vs1, no, yes
3. ingame/irc
4. on the rare occasion i do need help i go to irc, nothing for me that has not been solved
5. the ac community is not as tightly-knit as in previously version but still lots of friendly people around, I think some basic guides such as how to use irc and a general how-to section in the forum could help getting more players involved with the game. I get the impression that the wiki is barely used and even if it is, there is so much outdated information there which could throw off new players.
6. I always liked the small active community of regular players and quick gameplay
7. Currently in ac there seems to be some strange lag issues that would be nice to have fixed + certain servers lag auto kick players who live far away from the server despite having a stable ping, servers like these do no good to the ac community
8. laptop, dedicated graphics, ~70fps @ 1366x768, no, no
9. I do not play with sound
10. I think ac should focused a more performance based release as oppose to the standard feature based release, reducing in-game lag (could be just me but there seemed to be less server lag in previous versions), i would prefer it if ac would stick to its classic gameplay, sometimes play a bit of sauer
11. IPs in demos
12. tpf, pf, and probably tlss too
Thanks given by:
- Found ActionCube (0.92) while looking for FPS games that would run on Linux, in early 2007. I like playing CTF/HTF on ac_mines, ac_sunset, ac_elevation, ac_shine, ac_depot_onlygirlsneedarmour. TS in ac_complex, ac_desert2. LSS in ac_complex and ac_desert. Not a fan of TOSOK but it is cool if I get to gib Shadow. Country: It's complicated. Age 28. A&D. Other games: None at this time.

- Majority of my time is spent in public matches, but I like clan games too. Not a 1v1 player. I find the ratio useful because it reinforces how terrible I am at staying alive, which is something I never cared for much before it was first introduced. Don't care about flags per minute - it's a team game! I support team players in all games unless they are intentional TKers or Drakas.

- Initially, to me it was all in-game with the occasional SF forum thread and email. Clan forums were cool to start with, but IRC is where I spend all my time. Official forum - it has been deleted and recreated so many times that I have lost sense of what it means to be in a forum community.

- Not had any major problems.

- It has changed a lot over the years, and fragmented. It would seem each new version brings in a new crop of players, and not many from previous versions stick around. Then again, I am basing this solely off in-game and IRC - I hardly visit the forums (it's going to be deleted anyway!). I'm not sure, what is there to make better. It is what it is. As a wise old man once said: w/e. I would like to contribute headshots.

- Grenades (pre 1.1). The people (some). The gameplay (pre 1.1). The fact that I can fire it up and play a "complete" game that lasts as little as 10 minutes (yay for short rounds) or as long as there are players left to frag. That I can run and gun instead of slowly pacing around.

- That a large portion of the current player base is more entertained by gema than good ol'-fashioned fragging. That douze is a popular map. That we even need to control server sort order by official/custom maps. That grenades are no longer two per pickup and two frags per gib. Helmets. The ridiculous points system and messages surrounding it. That every new version seems to have some sweeping change in gameplay, that drives away players of the version right before. That anyone can become a part of the "dev" team at any given point and decide to drive the development of the game as they see fit, and then go away. Seemingly illogical auto team balancing that happens every now and then.

- Formerly desktop, right now laptop. Dedicated graphics. ~450 fps, 1920x1080. I don't use those features or degraded textures, or coloured vests. I used to use teamskins.

- Occasionally headphones, most of the time laptop speakers.

- Focus on classic gameplay for sure. Next release should be focussed more on bug fixes and perhaps features that do not affect the gameplay too much. The charm of AC is in its "Action", IMO. I wouldn't be playing it if the gameplay was closer (than it already is) to games like CS or even Urban Terror. Cube family games: I have played Blood Frontier and Red Eclipse in the past, and still occasionally play Sauerbraten. Eagerly awaiting a full release of Tesseract.

- None at this time

- Team "balancing"
Thanks given by:

1. About You - First contact with AC, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games:
    First encounter was .93 - I had begun dual-booting Linux and Windows after discovering how awesome Linux was(is) and I stumbled across AssaultCube in a repository while looking for games... I had no experience in First Person Shooters as a general style of gameplay, and I was owned from day one in the game.
    I wouldn't ever play regularly because it was so brutal then - I felt I could never win, and I usually didn't spend very much time gaming... I played infrequently over the subsequent versions - but I really committed to learning the game in late January of 2013...
    As for favourite gamemodes and maps - I remember when TDM ac_complex comprised a significant number of the masterserver games and I always hated it because I didn't have any map awareness about me. There were times I would wait in the corner of CLA base, thinking I could get an advantage, and some 'pro' would come and headshot me before I could even get my aim straight.
    Rocking 23 FPS and a shotgun, I was the definitive 'unarmed' (.93-1.0.0.4 days for me).
    Playing on that map again I miss those games and wish more people would play it again...
    I am playing from the United States, I am 32 and I am part of the |Art of eXecution| family...
    As I hinted before, I was an off and on again player for a long time - never improving or learning. At the end of the 1.1.0.4 era I began playing more seriously and I began to get more involved with the community surrounding this game. I also developed an odd fascination with hosting servers for this bizarre crew of rabid cubers I tag with - but that's another story...
    Other than that I grew up playing a beat up C64 and early consoles - I was into the Mechwarrior and MechCommander series for a period of time, but I disconnected from a lot of things as a working parent and AssaultCube is accessible and fun... Now I dabble in in a few other FOSS games like Xonotic, Cube 2: Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse, but AssaultCube is my flavor...

2. Do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? Are you a regular 1vs1 player? Do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? Do you support team players even in 'just-for-fun' games?
    For me this has always just been a release from other things - now more than ever it is a serious hobby for me, but playing the game infrequently there were a number of things that were apparent to me over the years - There are hackers out there - many hackers - over time less hackers - and while we still have a significant amount of people abusing - it is also significantly more manageable than it was in year's past, in my opinion...
    However, pros are good - really good... And if you take this game seriously you will find people who take the execution of this game to the limit and have put forth tremendous effort in owning others...
    When you break in to this it is hard - and to answer the question - I am still in a state where I very infrequently do 1v1s but I do a lot of matches and inters... As for my preference - I love a casual game between friends and I have no aversion to playing in pubs...
    I like the open-door feel in the game sometimes and the short talks between friends on the server. Playing against tougher players and pushing yourself to the limit has it's upsides - but however it plays out - I am here for the fun.
    As for metrics, there are different ways to measure many aspects of the game, but I when I play the numbers aren't what is driving me.... But, for sure, teamwork is important in any venue whether it be in pubs or matches...

3. Community ties - Where does the AssaultCube community "happen" for you? Is it only in-game, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble, teamspeak?
    I feel like the community is much broader than many people realize. I think the 'community' is often relegated to referring to the dedicated cubers of this forum who have 1000+ posts and the developers who put up with the constant snarkiness and negativity.
    But I know for a lot of players the community is in-game - across Teamspeak servers, and on crappy do-it-yourself websites where new clans fade and burn in the blink of an eye without an iota of concern from the 'community.'
    The community exists throughout the world, wherever cubers connect in from - but AssaultCube brings them together. This is a fascinating thing to be able to play with good people from around the globe - often this is overlooked in this modern digital age.

4. Is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? Where do you get help? Which problems could not be solved?
    The documentation is excellent and there is nary a time when someone in the official #irc isn't willing to help.
    Of course, I don't seem to have the 'problems' a lot of people tend to regurgitate around the forums....

5. What do you think about the AC community? How could the community be made better? What would you like to contribute?
    I think the AssaultCube community as a whole is a unique and diverse crowd of people. Inevitably, in such a situation, there are bound to be problems between people, and especially so across language barriers.
    But I think there is an interesting balance of people who are constantly participating and encouraging the development of others in the game, and the people who continually work to break other people down...
    It is sad in a sense but I wonder at times if this bizarre clockwork is what keeps AC going.
    I think that we need to encourage the newcomers - the 'noobs'
    I think there are too many players out there that need to demonstrate their lack of accomplishment in real life by insulting and degrading new players while gloating over their so-called 'skillz.'
    However correct their assessments may be, if we run 5 new players out of the game with that behavior then who is really winning?

6. What do you like about AC?
    Free and Open Source Software that is available cross-platform, played Internationally, with fast and simple gameplay... And don't forget about all of the mods....

7. What do you hate about AC?
    That so much of the community is playing an open-source game with a closed-source attiude. Also, I think Brazilians get it rough from a lot of people - I feel like their is some kind of cuber-racism going on sometimes where we forget that everyone is an individual and an entire country isn't hacking - just a few dozen jerks with dynamic ips...

8. Do you play on a laptop or a desktop? Does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? What average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? Do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? Do you use colored vests?
    I used to play on a laptop with integrated graphics on Linux at 1600x900 with all of the graphics features turned down I could run anywhere from 58-72 fps. I currently play on a desktop with a budget GPU and I play with just enough detail to see the wall and floor textures I can run between 140-200 fps in Windowed mode - regardless of resolution... Due to (I am assuming) some limitations in the open-source drivers for linux, I can't ever get the full screen fps higher than 60 at 1600x900

9. Do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?
    Headphones are a must...

10. Where should AC development be headed to? What should the next release bring? Would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? Do you play other games from the Cube family?
    I think there needs to be some serious consideration in regards to the long-term direction of AssaultCube... We don't need a lot of extraneous bells and whistles clogging up the works - but I would like to see feature decisions take into account the benefits of implementation and not so much the difficulty of implementation..
    With that said, I follow all of the Cube games at a distance, and I can't help but dream that someday we might see a rewrite of the AssaultCube mod built on the Tesseract engine...

11. One feature AC should add:
    I don't think the game needs to add any features - I think development is better focused on refining and better implementing what is already in place....

12. One feature AC should remove:
    Unfix the vote bug so we can vote after the vote ends again... >:D
Thanks given by:

-First played it on the brink of 0.93, 0.92 was my tutorial, hit the Vanilla forums awhile into 0.93
-Back then it was 24/7 TOSOK desert, then it was 24/7 TOSOK Sniper City then 24/7 TOSOK EZJEMVILLE then some CTF on EZJEM then I fully got into official maps and ctf and tdm.
-I am the coolest community member from Perth, WA. Xenon is a fag.
-I am 20 years old but my doctor says my liver is 45.
-I run and play for inFamous (You should too!)
-Other games include but are not limited too: BF4, BF3, Planetside2, Skyrim, ESO, D3, DND, MTG, etc etc

-Pubs rule, though the odd urge for an inter comes upon me often, I rarely play them. What's a ratio? FPM my ass. Team support doesn't happen in pubs but teamkillers do.

-Lol. Forum is my #1, IRC is generally only for the Vets, newwbs have no idea. Why isn't Radio on your list? Commie.

-I don't have issues, I have a phsyc for that.

5/10 you could do better, AC community has always been low key. I do contribute, you just don't know me.

Clans

Clans

-Previously beastly computer
-Now beastly laptop (lol)
-Nvidia 765(?)M or something... IDK
-800*600 like a boss
-OMG Ponies
-brightskins obviously

I use all three, at once. Also I play my own music. Harmonica solos

I have played sauer but it isn't my thing
AC is AC

Friend list (yes i am serious)

All of the guns, AC is actually a chat room with built in FPS
Thanks given by:
  • about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games
    - My first serious contact with AC was 19th December 2008, just after 1.0 release, when I started playing online for the first time. My favourite mode depends on my mood, but CTF for the majority of the time; ac_avenue 4EVA! I'm usually happy to play whatever map/mode comes up in the maprot. I live in the UK, I'm 39.9973, in A&D clan and I don't play any other online FPS or similar. I've been a member of the dev team since late 2011, but I am not a developer; I'm an administrator.
  • do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?
    - I play pubs only (I've played about twenty 'inters'/clan games in my AC career and have rarely enjoyed it; 1v1 makes me uncomfortable). I have two objectives in CTF: 1. Get to the opposing flag and grab it or protect it. 2. Return my flag. Shooting everything I see along the way is just a distraction.
  • community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?
    - For me, in-game and on IRC, although I hide a lot in-game.
  • is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?
    - N/A
  • what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?
    - I think the community is incredibly fragmented, with different parties having wildly different ideas. I have no idea how it could be made better.
  • what do you like about AC?
    - I don't know; I just do.
  • what do you hate about AC?
    - The sense of entitlement that OSS gives certain people.
  • do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?
    - Desktop, dedi-gfx card, 250fps@1920x1080 or 1920x1200. Standard gfx settings and yes, I have coloured vests, but not full.
  • do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?
    - Mostly headphones.
  • where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
    - I would like to see AC rolled back to 1.0 style gameplay. I would like to see all (within reason) bugs fixed before new features are even considered. I would like to see removal of the ability for players to modify gameplay through the use of scripts. I don't play any other cube-based games.
  • one feature AC should add:
    - Frag score in place of the flag score (at the bottom of the screen) for non-flag team modes.
  • one feature AC should remove:
    - Server wizard.
Thanks given by:

Very start of the 1.0 (early 2009?); CTF ac_shine; France; 20yo; any; Minecraft, RotMG, LoL, FEZ

I mostly play public games but I used to play only in a competitive way, here is the reason why I stopped: http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6799.html . I hate 1v1, in a match, nothing counts except the flags your team has, in publics, everything counts even if I give more attention to points than anything else. Points show who was really implicated in the game an who camped for his ratio. Points does not work for matches. Teamplay is the next level, the hardest to master and the most interresting thing in AC. All games are differents so FPM and PPM are worthless.

Official forum and IRC, for teamspeak/mumble/clan forums/in-game it's almost completelly disconnected from the community.

I speak with Lucas almost everyday and he's almost always able to help me even if I fix most of my issues by myself.
    I curently have an unfixed problem and I have no idea of it's origin, I have huge FPS drops (around -80%) since ~2 weeks but only on a few maps and zones, official ones included.

We could increase the community by adding a better in-game interface that directly links you to the community itself.

Less than 30 seconds from the desktop to the enemy flag.

Anti-cheat/abuse measures that were done to counter a few people, now I must play an ugly 200+ gamma game because of a bright-skin filter in combo with my dark screen, hit-drop issues, map restrictions.

Laptop, dedicated graphic card, over 1000 fps but I max it at 200 (with recent issue, 200 most of the time, if not, between 40 and 150). 1367x768, no unofficial features except a custom sniper skin. All basic settings except the fov, musicvol and the sensivity.

Headphones

The development of a game is not supposed to be infinite, once devs reach something good, nothing force then to continue and take risks so I think fixing bugs, even smaller ones would be the priority. AC is AC, I found it's development process unique and it's good like this IMO.

A better in-game interface, I'm sure we lost thousands of players just because they did not know/found the multiplayer.
    AC should start with a huge capslock saying "PRESS ESC".

Map restrictions.
Thanks given by:
I'll Bite.

- I found AC around 5 years ago, perhaps a little more or less, a good timeline would be just around the time v1.0 came out. TDM, DM, and CTF are my favorite modes. ac_power, ac_keller, ac_mines, and pretty much anything made by Apollo are my favorite maps. The rest: Canada, 25, TyD
-Other Games (I'll only bother with multiplayer ones here): Sc2, Civ5, Hawken, Saur..

- When I play I mostly do pubs only now, but I do prefer clan and inter clan competition. There was a time I only did 1v1s but I haven't ventured into that scene for some years. I am very much a ratio whore and value that over all other stats. Flags are an objective, but not something I'm particularly focused on - usually just my normal play style supports others enough that flags offense and defense come naturally.

community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only in game, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

- For me historically IRC has been the place to go, but that seems to have shifted and most IRC channels are completely left idle.

- The community to me has always been great when it is active. AC was once a game which brought in so many different types of people that the spinoffs like maps, tournaments, and a strong community just came together without effort. With dwindling numbers you can see that these sorts of ventures are halting. The only thing which could make AC better at this point is a dramatic surge in new players or old player activity.

- There is no nonsense like perks or customizations it is a simplistic load and play game. The pace of the game is also particularly attractive to me.

- The chat

- Desktop, dedicated graphics card, 200+ fps capped at 200, 1680 x 1050, I keep those sorts of settings vanilla, full colored body suits.

- Headset

where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on
it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

- AC should polish what it has already established. I think the core gameplay is fine and with some tweaks here and there it could make for a much more fluid experience. I don't think AC should emulate any other types of games at all, but that's just personal taste.. if I wanted to play a modern style FPS game I wouldn't be playing AC. I've played a lot of Cube 2.

one feature AC should add: Master server wide ladders

one feature AC should remove: The chat (seriously)
Thanks given by:
This seems fun
I Started to play AC since early 2010 or late 2009, not sure.. i prefer ctf and the overplayed maps like shine,d3 and some less popular ones like urban.. im 18 and from India ( woohoo , the only one ).. Been clanless for 2 years (invite me pl0x :D ). When i don't play ac ( which i usually don't do these days ) i play stuff like bf4 (ikr) , dota2, world of tanks
I believe ac is most fun when played competitively but that is hard to find these days.. i love my ratio and fpm and i try to help my mates in every way i can
pretty much only ingame..
i haven't faced any sort of problems with the game..
The community imho has rotted away and i honestly don't have any idea how to make it better
The simple nature of the game..
lack of popularity , i think ac has the potential to be more popular than what it is today..we need ideas to make it popular..
i play on a desktop with a R9 280x (overkill for ac by a long margin) but i lock my fps at 125..i never even bothered to change the res..and no to the other questions..
headphones ftw
Polish the existing features and make it better and try to popularize the game , a big community can often make the game better.
a better GUI
the match mode perhaps , the stuff in sauer is interesting , where you can join servers which are having matches but you cant spawn in the game..im not quite sure how it works..
Thanks given by:
I downloaded AC on July 2008 looking for a fps for Linux, but then quit on 2011 and back on Agost 2013; I like CTF, TOSOK; OSOK and I used to enjoy DM. AssaultCube_Power! :P I'm from Argentina, I feel like 1000 years old, no clan - was a member of Unbreakable clan founded by Zarj, I don't play any other game at this moment.

I prefer public matches, but I played some "inters" whit some clan members, I rarely play 1vs1, I do both [ratio and flags] I support team work for sure but I'm ok whit the "Rambo mode" :P

Forum and game. I'm not very firendly of IRC... mumble?

Yes, I got some help here on the forum.

It seems divided, IMO. too much bitching. I consider myself as a decent player, but sometimes I lost my head, like whit "PERROS" [rollling eyes], How contribute?, well, I'm a mapper [not the best one, I know but..] Also made some mapmodels and now I'm traslating the docs to Spanish. I will share it when it is done. I'm just doing this, for the newcomers (unfairly called n00bs by some arrogant pro players)

I like because is lightweight, and has many modes and maps [more maps on akimbo! :D] All those who says that AC sucks, are a bunch of [the F word here] idiots.

Desktop, Nvidia GForce 4 MX 4000 - 64 mb X-0, I could get range of 80 - 120 fps on the ugliest resolucion 640x480, but I dont like those flat textures, so I have 80 - 90 fps using the "bad" on the graphic details option.

Headphones.
where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring?
I don't know.

would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
AssaultCube must have his own classic gameplay. I don't think they have to "copy" others videogames feature, that seems ridiculous to me.

More than add, rolling back on the weapon balance. They messed whit my shotgun! :'( now I use the sniper + pistol or trying use it.

The heartbeat sound, I don't think is something that we need.

EDIT: I forgot to add my fav map.
Thanks given by:
from anonymous:

1. Around ends of 2009/ beginning 2010, ctf ac_elevation/mines, Battlefield series.

2. I prefer to play pubs nowadays, even though I'd prefer clan matching for the sake of an organized style of play, reason is I lost the feel and patience towards the learning curve over the weapons, which has been through some changes in later versions with negative output as you would expect if the weapon balance didn't commit it's purpose.

I'm not one or the other, just casual forum user, barely play even. I never cared so much of ratio as the meaning of personal achievement or superiority, but just as a benchmark towards my performance in favor of what I (was) expected to do in game, which has dropped significantly, but has changed my style of looking things strategy wise. I could add some thought and positive feedback out of this, but just gonna keep it short as need to keep the answers more accurate.

3.Mostly on forum for me nowadays, but its because I dropped any connection to my ex clan partners. But generally inside game there's no real feeling of community, it's more of a playground and quite the opposite of what I tend to watch over the forums, if I had to guess what to see, is rational or friendly players, but I couldn't be more wrong. Sadly seems like the lack of organization in public games and tendency to play private matches with few decent players for the lone "competition value" mostly leads to this outcome, I can't blame no one really for this, but had the need to point it out to give some sense of what it feels like AC for me when I look at it: opinionated people+community+clan forums+IRC,TS. Without this it feels like 80% of the game is missing. Even with all the content provided appearing every now and then.

4.Generally forums provide quite good feedback when its needed. As for problems, maybe some unexpected in game bug or software specific problem. I haven't found myself in the need to get to another options though, as I haven't find many troubles that forum can't help me with.

5.Need to be less permissive with the people forcing some obnoxious conduct on it, I have a laugh time to time, but seeing it spread like a virus as it's completely normal looks a tad wrong, warning points seems as a way to hold up over the bullshit sometimes its leaked when taking severe actions towards some users that need to be removed get an even worse response from other forum users, I could dare to say why but it may be a wrong focus to point it out.

For me, needs to be more grateful and at the same time show some care has been given for that appreciation, in other words, devs need to be conscious a community is lurking around this game everyday and even if had some struggle to get his work done, not hold it against the upset players or the trolling users as if it was the entire population of AC, I personally feel uncomfortable participating when there's tension going on or no interest to receive feedback, that's my impression from them, could be all the opposite, however, that's what it looks like imo.

6.Ironically, the community, it's the source of what keep AC in a certain state or time frame for me, even when I am totally outdated of what's going on, it lights me up a bit to see what's new with the players and the events on it, even when I have no intention to participate on any of them, it brings life both game and players.

7. Shit talking, ungrateful people, exclusionary people both community and player wise. In game, repetitive maprots, lazy admins, team shuffling without any reason, not much really. Would like to hear loud and clear from devs where the game is heading to, or what they expect from AC to the future, or if we (players/community) are involved in taking part of some of the final decisions or can bend them before they become real and create some havoc. And needs to be more user friendly when it comes to testing, I used to have time for SVN but never found servers or people to play with, even if there's someone to blame, no need to do so, ease things up, chill a bit, and not give the idea that being clueless or unknown/new turns you into an useless person towards the improvement of AC.

8.Both, and as for graphic cards, both built in from my laptop and pc. The average is quite solid on 1024x768 with a consistent 180-200 fps. I generally use lowest settings for the sake of performance, but always been prone to let the graphics on medium for textures, for personal taste. I use colored vest and sometimes partially colored, as for competition wise, more than once I decided to put the quality to the lowest edge, it has no meaningful impact as I can remember, except for one of those texture/skins/pick up mods that seemed to add much of a competitive aspect (in a bad way for some) to the players who were looking for some "pro" set up on their package.

9. Headphones, anything that I have honestly will be for me to use, even when I was into the competition aspect of the game, never really upgraded any of my gaming set up, just the mouse and just for using the right click that my previous mouse didn't have.

10. That's a question should be asked by themselves in a way, I honestly feel as giving as much feedback as I could, this won't really add anything relevant if there's not a proportional ground to it, I have seen lot of ideas from some players, some are way, way out of what we generally expect from AC, still, I'd like to see a solid base (and dated) from devs and a ground to discuss on, this just cuts fiction from reality to where we may or not want to be, but still, I find it much better than having a lone side of the playing scene looking for their weapon balance for the (re)construction of a portion of the game but not please some that are not focused or interested on it. That means looking into the modding community too, the map makers, more leading towards the improvement of that aspect and achieving some consensus towards the mapping restrictions, opening some ground, I see sparks time to time when it comes to this topic, even if is not pleasing it could be closed with a poll or a survey like this even. I am a bit off to think on what could be added to the later, but in short, more attention to the community modders, even with Akimbo or the like, it needs more space and credit for its existence.

11. A customization tool for mods. It could be added as a label of "customized server" when applied on a server at the server list. Basically would allow anyone using it the possibility to customize the game settings, such as time limit, hp, weapon damage, ammo number, weapons included, excluded. At first sounds quite messy but if given the proper amount of effort it could give live to some of the game modes that have been appearing lately, but giving it a real and existent place for everyone to use and standardizing it so the rules are set previously to achieve a competent place for people to mod (and test possible weapon balance) at, this supported by the dev team, without obscure modifications given to a handful of players. I am not fond of the skills to be able to change game values but as a feature I would add, just had to put some fantasy on it.

12. Team shuffling by server. Has no real purpose and can be really annoying at times. It should be easier to add the possibility to team change voluntarily if you meet the conditions to be moved to another team, say x team has 20/50 k/d and z 50/20, if a player from team z wants to move to team x and has a better score than any of the average of the opponent team, he should be allowed to be on that team without a voting process going on, neither capacity restrictions as full server or equal amount of players per team, just move him and grab another player from the other side that has lower score and the number of players is balanced again.

As for any counter to some type of abuse to this feature, just restrict it to some calculation where certain requirements are meet to allow this team changing function, if teams are balanced, you shouldn't be able to move to either team, in case he does and reconnects to spam the feature, disallow it for the player for a minute or so, if keeps repeating increase the time penalty, if he doesn't get kicked/temporal banned by the server at this point.
Thanks given by:

Action Cube, 0.92; tdm complex, ctf depot, mines; Czech; aCKa; 29; Starcraft2
    public, i dont care about ratio or flags, i play for fun , sry teammates
    first year it was only ingame people, second year it was clan forum and MSN + IRC, third year it was official forum
    i dont have problems
    Remove "elitism", this game is small for such things, if smarter people cannot read private forum, they dont stay here.They dont know your problems, they cannot contribute ...
    simplicity
    politics
    i use default settings, no cheating textures or modifications, laptop
    i dont teamspeak, my english is terrible
    care more about new people, "pro" people can care about theirself (example leagues or sound bug - noob doesnt fix it), new people are important for you
    autoupdater, as developer you should hotfix game minimal 4x per year, not once per 4 years
    mapping restriction, i dont know game where you can edit map by just pressing "E" button and you can play with other friends after 15 minutes of editing, this is best feature of AC and is messing by some complex limitations ...
Thanks given by:
about you: 2013, CTF AND TOSOK, ac_desert//ac_desert3...., Spain, 16, AoX, minecraft//fifa..., i like all this things all are good for play this game ;), idk i think that im improving, no, i only want play with people and improve playing, but if my radio and flags are good its really good jjaajajajaja, i really like play in team its really funny ;)
community ties: hem i connect in all of this things, but i prefer the AC forum and the irc of clans its funny speak with them there are a lot of friendly clans ;)
is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game?
Yes, its i becuase there are a lot of things that you can do, for example speak with a friend, see the forums and if you need somethig make a thread....
where do you get help?
Hem, in game or in forums
which problems could not be solved?
idk, i think that all the problems can be solved if you speak with someone about the problem there are a lot of people that can help you
what do you think about the AC community?
Its a really good community that all of them can help you and they will be friends of you ;)
how could the community be made better?
Hem, idk i think that its really good as its now
what would you like to contribute?
Hem, i think that if someone need help if i can help you i will do all that i can do (if you need help send me a PM, connect to the irc of AoX, or ts3 of AoX[aox-ac.tk]
hem, that in this game usually the players are friendly.
Some players that only want troll, be hackers, kick or ban abuse, tkill, all of this things for do with players.
do you play on a laptop or a desktop?
Laptop
does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps
ajajajaja only tell all of you that my laptop is a shit xD. My fps are 20-60[i know, bad fps]
do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use?
1024x60 its my resolution
do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures?
all normal i dont use this features xD
do you use colored vests?
No
headphones
where should AC development be headed to?
idk i think that all is good
what should the next release bring?
i think that nothing
would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?
hem, i like this gameplay, i played sauer but i prefer this game
I think that a mode with a lot of flags and you have to get all of them for win the match, and when the time finish the people that have more flags win [its similar keep your flag for your team, the enemy team cant get your flags] and add some maps.
Hem, idk i think that all its good ;)
Thanks given by:
Hey stef, I hope you don't mind a currently inactive player to share his thoughts here.

Q: about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games

A: Around since .93, favourite modes are CTF and HTF, all maps that look nice and play smooth are welcomed, turning 30 this year, used to be in DES a while ago, pretty much only playing Battlefield 4 at the moment, Counter Strike:GO every once in a while

Q: do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?

A: Mostly public matches really, 1vs1 is fine every now and then, ratio always should be >1, though going for objectives is prior on flag modes after all, team play is what makes online games fun for me

Q: community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

A: Mainly in the official forum, used to be IRC back when I had time to hang out there all day long, today I prefer so called "buddy-systems" which are focused on finding playing "friends" and jump right onto their game, rather than chatting away the time (see BFs battlelog)

Q: is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?

A: Well, there could be more actual info about the ongoing developments, even though this has become better lately

Q: what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?

A: Sorry, I really don't know.

Q:what do you like about AC?

A: Simplicity, straight forward fast paced gameplay, ability to rather easily create custem content (maps, models, etc.)

Q: what do you hate about AC?

A: Insanely high pings are generally accepted, poor map/mode combinations are played day in day out, hardly ever get two good games in a row, hence my inactivity

Q: do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?

A: Desktop, Dell i5, Nvidia GFX 560 ti, MaxFPS 60, 1920x1080, gibs disabled (useless gimmick) and blood on (hit indicator), all graphic settings on max, colored vests ever since they got introduced

Q: do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop?

A: Headphones

Q: where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

A: The classic gameplay should be kept, though some modern features could still add up on the experience while not slowing things down, no other cube game here

Q: one feature AC should add:

A: Advanced GFX/UI, lets start by finishing high resolution textures support (half way done afaik)

Q: one feature AC should remove:

A: Any cube script command that has impact on gameplay (jump scripts and whatnot)
Thanks given by:

My first contact with ac was in September 2010 when a Korean friend showed me the game. I didn't pay too much attention to it until December 2011 when I was bored at home and decided to play it.
My favourite game modes are CTF and HTF (also PF) and my favourite map is ingress maybe. I'm from Chile. I'm 25 years old. My clan is FD*. I also play Magic The Gathering Online.

2- do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games?

I used to like playing pubs but as I improved, the competitive scene was/is my priority. I don't like plying 1v1. Team matches are the reason why I am here and winning is what matters. I don't care whether my ratio is 0.0005 or 25 as long as my team wins the match.

3- community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble?

Everywhere but IRC

4- is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved?

It's easy to get help in the forum. Everybody helps each other.

5- what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute?

We have some great people here, eager to improve the game and help other people. However, we need to make everybody aware that we are all human beings and deserve respect for that. Being behind a screen doesn't give anybody the right to insult people. Some people don't understand that yet and imo, should be "warned".

6- what do you like about AC?

Almost everything.

7- what do you hate about AC?

Inactivity and haters.

8- do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests?
[b]
[/b]

Desktop and that is too much information.

9- where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family?

I love the game as it is. I wouldn't change anything. Maybe something with the latency. Fixing all the bugs would be great too.

10-one feature AC should add:

Country flags on scoreboard.

11- one feature AC should remove: ...
Thanks given by:
about you: first contact with ac, favourite game modes and maps, country, age, clan, other games My first contact with AC was back in summer 2009. My favorite game mode would be ctf and my favorite map would be shine and des_3. I am from Finland and I'm turning 19 next month. I have been playing for the clan oNe for the past two years. After my retirement from "serious" gaming and "esports", I haven't really played any other games apart from AC and Dota2.
do you mostly play public matches or do you prefer clan competition? are you a regular 1vs1 player? do you care about your ratio or your flags-per-minute value? do you support team players even in just-for-fun games? I do prefer clan or mixed matches. Occasionally, I do play public games but after the shutdown of the HI-SKILL servers and ladder system, I haven't really enjoyed it. I think I used to be a fairly regular 1vs1 player but not anymore. I don't really care about my ratio as long as my team is winning. If I am chosen to be the "flagger", then I obviously care about my flags-per-minute value. If "fun games" mean public games, it depends am I supporting my team. If I know the player knows what his doing, then yes I am doing my best to help him.
community ties: where does AC community "happen" for you? only ingame, in the official forum, clan forums, IRC, mumble? Nowdays mostly at the forum and TeamSpeak. After my retirement of the "serious" gaming scene, I haven't really seen any reason to use IRC.
is it easy for you to get help with problems with the game? where do you get help? which problems could not be solved? I haven't often had any problems with the game and usually the source of the problem has been my OS. The IRC has been usually been the place to go. Right now, I can't connect to the masterserver but I haven't try to solve it because of my lack of interest towards the game.
what do you think about the AC community? how could the community be made better? what would you like to contribute? The way I see it, is that the AC community is divided into three different parts. We have the forum, the TeamSpeak and the IRC. I think the TeamSpeak has been a great way to get to together and especially it was that a few years ago when there was still people playing this game and now of course I'm talking from the competitive approach. I think the community is just fine, it's just that there's not too many people that are a part of it. I don't possess and technical skills like coding or texture making nor am I capable of making maps so I think this is survey is mostly what I can contribute.
what do you like about AC? It's simplicity. I am personally not a fan of games like Call of Duty or Battlefield that try to be war simulators.
what do you hate about AC? The fact that I have played it for thousand of hours. Really, there are things a lot more valuable.
do you play on a laptop or a desktop? does it have a dedicated graphics card or do you use chipset graphics? what average fps do you play at, and what screen resolution do you use? do you use features like "reduced violence mode" or degraded textures? do you use colored vests? I have a desktop and dedicated graphics card (GTS 250). I use /maxfps 1000 and my screen resolution is 1920x1028. I don't reduce violence and I do use degraded textures. I don't honestly remember do I use colored vests.
do you play with headphones or with a surround system or do you use the builtin speakers of your laptop? I use headphones and actually my Line 6 POD HD 500 works as my soundcard.
where should AC development be headed to? what should the next release bring? would you like AC to concentrate on it's own classic gameplay or should it be molded to be more like another game (and what other game)? do you play other games of the cube family? I honestly don't know where should the development be heading. I am not sure does it matter as AC seems to be slowly sinking into its grave. I think AC 1.0 was great, maybe the weapon balance could be updated. That is maybe a vague response and perhaps the flourishing community aspect during 1.0 makes my response a bit biased.
one feature AC should add: I think the developers should first focus on making the game actually work properly and fix the issues.
one feature AC should remove: I think the core idea of the game is great and see above.
Thanks given by: