To all AKIMBO users...
(25 Jan 12, 12:11AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: Although the best solution yet is to simply downsize the massive image.
Fully agree
Thanks given by:
Right, Lantry's proposal makes more sense to me so I'll give it a go (my resolution is 1280x800 so we'll see what happen)
Thanks given by:
The problem with Lantry's proposal is that you are unable to scale the image proportionately in this manner.
You need both width and height defined for valid HTML.
You could define height in pixels, and have the width 100%, but it would not stretch the image proportionately.

Even stretching to a lower size, users would still need to download the 107KB image.
Forcing banner images to stretch for the minority users (like me with 1024 x 768) looks gross and is mean >:(

Personally I design my sites to accommodate even 800 x 600 users.

In all honestly, that banner takes up a LOT of space, regardless of how pretty it is. (it does look nice). For example, in every page I view, it's impossible to see any user-generated content without scrolling down.

If it were me, I would scale that thing down (the image itself) at least to lower than 1024x768... :(
Thanks given by:
I can try tomorrow to make test page with header section as i said in post 56 and post link here.

edit: my version :)
[Image: akimbobanner960x240px.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's a very nice looking banner Fantomas, good job mate :)
Thanks given by:
Looks WAY coooooooler!!!!!
Good job and how long did
it take you to make?
Thanks given by:
Well, I have tried both Lantry's and Fantomas codes none are working :(

There should be a way to have it to systematically resize to one's resolution, mine for instance is 1280x800.

Edit: Indeed a nice banner too Fantomas ;)
Thanks given by:
(25 Jan 12, 12:30PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: There should be a way to have it to systematically resize to one's resolution
Well, there isn't really a way to do that properly. Of course you can do width:100% but it will just look cheesy. No matter how large the image is, it will eventually scale up and look pixelated. It also grows higher, which means that e.g. on my 1680x1050 screen the banner takes up almost have of the page if I do that.
That's why you shouldn't use banners that are blocked off on both sides. Instead, use a moderately-sized left-aligned image with a gradient that fades off into transparency to the right. Or right-aligned, or centered, depending on how you want it to look, but if it needs to scale to 100% width to look good, you're doing something wrong.
Or just remove the banner and add a logo instead, which can be kept small :P
Thanks given by:
Or have a banner that leads nooby Frogulipodes to think that AssaultCube is based around snakes fighting :P
Thanks given by:
I did it :)
See how it looks

But it still needed to test it in different browsers

updated
Chrome 16.x - ok
Opera 11.11 - ok
Safari 5.1.2 - ok
Firefox Portable Legacy 2.0.0.20 - ok
Firefox 2.0.0.14 - ok
Firefox 3.6.0.17 - ok
Firefox 7.0.1, 9.0.1 - ok
IE 8 - ok
IE 7,8 (emulated with IETester) - ok
IE 5.5 & 6 (emulated with IETester) - sucks (doesn't support PNG transparency)
Thanks given by:
Nice one mate!
Bright idea in fact, I'm shooting off to the UK for the day so I'll get in touch with you this evening to fix that.
Thanks given by:
Uh it looks like Akimbo is down? Also shouldn't this be stickied/I couldn't find the [announcement of akimbo].
Thanks given by:
Please talk to Cleaner if Akimbo is down.
Dedicated Elite Soldiers - Viewing profile - Cleaner
AssaultCube - Forum - Profile of DES|Cleaner

There is also a IRC channel for akimbo.
irc://irc.gamesurge.net/akimbo
Thanks given by:
Here you go:

https://cbe001.chat.mibbit.com/?url=irc%...t%2Fakimbo
Thanks given by:
Looks like working fine... I was probably Rytis doing some maintenance.
Thanks given by: